Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There always seems to be something with my GT...:depressed:

Lately I've been noticing a whine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear at the beginning of the rev range (up to about 3000rpm). It disappears if I press the clutch so I'm guessing its the gearbox.
The diff has been replaced with a Quaife unit about a year and a half ago and 3 of the bearings were replaced at the same time (except the bearing on the main shaft).
Any suggestions on what should be done? Is it worth getting someone to recheck the work done previously? I do have a spare 2.5 gearbox and what I'm most afraid of is the gearbox breaking and taking the Quaife with it...

·
Registered
198 Posts
My gearbox is a bit whiny, especially in 3rd, but unless it's really loud then I wouldn't be worried. I think they're just like that. Unless a manufacturer actively tries to refine out the noise then it'll be there. My MX5 does it too.

I previously had a knackered box (alfa refurbished...) that had a very whiny input shaft. It was very loud and got louder as the revs rose.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Mine whines a bit too and has done for three years in be owned it, though much less since I replaced the gearbox oil with quality fully synth stuff. I still get a bit of a whine when booting it in 2nd, but not enough to worry about. If it's not bad I would live with it....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I took it to a guy who rebuilds gearboxes and he says gears are likely damaged. The noise is also there in all the gears. So next week he will get my gearbox along with the 2.5 spare gearbox I have tucked away.
Is there any reason the Quaife diff shouldn't fit into the 2.5 gearbox?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's unfortunately pretty obvious it's something inside the gearbox...
So Quaife+2.5 gearbox is not a problem? The guy said if the difference in teeth is too big the car's ECU can reduce power output based on ABS readings.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
It's unfortunately pretty obvious it's something inside the gearbox...
So Quaife+2.5 gearbox is not a problem? The guy said if the difference in teeth is too big the car's ECU can reduce power output based on ABS readings.
Not a problem. You will need to unbolt your 3.2 crown wheel from the diff and bolt the 2.5 crown wheel onto it. Make sure the shim stays with the gearbox and goes back at the correct side.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts