Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.2 GT has something draining the battery.
I had a new battery fitted a few days ago and if I leave the car for a few days its totally flat.
Something must be slowly draining it, I've checked all the interior/boot lights etc and all fine

Any Ideas before I take the car back to the dealer

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No extras at all, totally standard

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I think there has been the odd reported problem with stereo's. It might be worth popping the fuse out on it and see what happens?.

Is the car still under warranty? if so I'd get them to sort it. With a electrical fault it can be a nightmare to track down the fault :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, if you charge it and drive the car its fine, but leave the car 2 or 3 days and its dead

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yes, if you charge it and drive the car its fine, but leave the car 2 or 3 days and its dead
I think the previous poster, might be referring to whether the alternator is charging the battery :)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
2 things:

1) Are you sure the alternator is charging?
2) Is there a CD in the slot of the head unit? (keep one in it)

no. 2 isnt a wind up by the way.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Is there a CD in the slot of the head unit? (keep one in it)

no. 2 isnt a wind up by the way.

Good point I forgot about that one :thumbs:

Or maybe that was what I was thinking of anyway :confused: ARRGHH the confusion.....

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Why is that?
I think this is because there's a known fault with some stereos whereby if you don't leave a CD in the player the radio switches itself on when you're away from the car.

See my thread from last year: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/88435-gt-does-your-radio-ever-turn-itself-on.html

This drained the battery on my car a couple of times before I learnt of the problem. I now leave a CD in and have not had the problem since (I could have paid for a stereo replacement, but I'm originally from the north so opted for the cheaper solution of leaving a CD in).

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've also had my carkit "lock up" once, and had to root around the electrics to pull the power to reset it. This one is obvious though - car kit does not turn off.

I'd guess you simply got a bad battery. Bring it back and get another one.

Also, could go detail how long you had the previous battery, and the mode of failure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Feed back into the alternator, unless as you suggest, it is a known fault.:(:
It would be far better if it was simply the battery from a cost point of view. But it could easily be the alternator (or even a bad earth strap or some such). The battery place should be able to load test the battery anyway.

If the previous battery failed quickly, it is I suppose most likely to be the alternator. But if it was 3 years old, then it is "normal" in an Alfa as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the last battery was original, car is nearly 3 years old...
New battery fitted last week and same problem...
But the advice about keeping a CD in the head unit is making me think because I have an iPod connecter fitted to the stereo ( which is in the CD Changer slot) and I haven't had the iPod connected recently.....maybe its that but I don't think the stereo is turning on because I keep checking

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got the results back from the dealer, and it is the stereo thats draining the battery.
Bad news is they say the stereo is only covered on a 1 year Blaupunkt warranty and not by Alfa and a new one is £370 !!!!
Not too happy about this I can tell you.
Has anyone else had this problem? and I am also wondering what causes the stereo to draw power when its off and can it be repaired instead of replaced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts