Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the rear of my '57 plated the exhaust exits under the passenger side and there is a 'blanking' plate on the other side.

I am interested in views and thoughts on installing a 'dummy' tail pipe to exit through the gap that will be left by removing the blanking plate.

I think with my GT being black 'twin' chrome pipes might look good.

Any advice/guidance/thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
I prefer having just two exits in the original location, a GT is a subtle car and needs a subtle exhaust in my opinion.

What engine size have you got Mark?

·
Banned
857 Posts
IIRC this requires the towing eye to be cut off from the chassis. Not a small job. If that place on ebay can supply and fit a stainless steel back box for £280 including cutting, welding and rustproofing the boot floor I'll eat my GT's steering wheel.

PS. I actually think it looks ace, but what I'd be looking for is a dummy pipe that bolts on to the towing thread...

·
Registered
431 Posts
don't put a dummy pipe on, I think the GT would good with twin pipes both side's if it is hooked up, I remember year's ago there was this guy who said he had a 2.8 capri, but it was a 1.3 with a dummy pipe, and he just got laughed at,

·
Banned
857 Posts
don't put a dummy pipe on, I think the GT would good with twin pipes both side's if it is hooked up, I remember year's ago there was this guy who said he had a 2.8 capri, but it was a 1.3 with a dummy pipe, and he just got laughed at,
Regardless of whether it is 'hooked up' or not, a second outlet on a GT is going to be 'fake' unless some serious work is done from the manifolds back.

Taking a second pipe out of a single exhaust is as false as a dummy pipe IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys
As undecisive as I was at the beginning LOL
Mine is a 1.9 JTD.
As I said '57 plate, its my second GT and about the fifth Alfa me and the wife we've had between us!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Personally, I don't like the look of it. I prefer the single, large, oval pipe on the earlier cars. Loads of people with later cars appear to change to this one too.

It is down to personal preference with the 2nd exhaust but it's defo not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i took mine to a local powerflow centre, looking for the quad system as the original twin pipes are the only thing i dont love!

when they put it up on the ramp he said there was no room for the second pipe from the centre section, the only way to do it was an almost 90 degree pipe from just behind the back box and the gases wouldnt be split evenly. like a dummy tailpipe witha bit of smoke from one side not the other.

the other option was to cut the tailpipes off the original box and weld a twin outlet or single of your choice from the catalogue to the original back box, but again a lot of cash spent for not a lot:D

standard it is then:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts