Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a big ask I know but can any member point me in the right direction for possible
scenario's on the following problem ?

I own a 2005 2.0JTS with 130,000 miles on the clock, for the last year or so it has been dry
stored on stand's in a friends warehouse. This weekend I decided to bring it home for some
work to be done now I have cleared my garage. Before it was brought over to me (a journey
of mercifully only 2 miles ) the friend who has trade plates checked the oil which was a bit low
(topped up 250ml) but the "header tank was dry". This took 3-4 LT to top up after which a new
battery and plugs ensured it started more or less straight away.

As you can see from the pic, I repeated the checks on levels & pressures when it came over and
the dip stick is way over with what I can only be emulsified oil and water from the cooling system.

I checked with the warehouse and the metal catch tray underneath the engine bay when stored is
bone dry and no signs of degenerative loss of oil or fluid whist stored.

There are no tell tale white scale marks on any pipes or gaskets surfaces to indicate an external leak

What likely gasket do you think has failed, ? the engine until being shut down was running very smooth
and no odd sounds. The exhaust is emitting no smoke or fumes and it revved and picked up cleanly.

Does this sound like a water pump gasket failure ? , any pointers very much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Does this sound like a water pump gasket failure ? , any pointers very much appreciated
Water pump gasket doesn't separate coolant and oil. It just stops coolant leaking out.

Could be the coolant-oil heat exchanger.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Id bet its the sandwich plate as david c detailed. Could always be from it just standing around and moisture getting in iver time.

I thiught if you dry store something you drop the fluids out in general.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mr C and Scotty,

Is the Oil Cooler Heat exchanger like this ?,

as an update this evening I tested the compression on Cylinders 1-4
The readings L-R were as follows 176-172-170-190 PSI.
Does this sound correct. ? and goes some way to ruling out head gasket issue ?

Is there a test I can perform on the Heat exchanger to test its internal integrity ?

Once again thanks for your guidance

Attachments

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Is there a test I can perform on the Heat exchanger to test its internal integrity ?
I would have thought connecting a hose to one outlet and blocking the other would show if its failed .. water will leak out of the body probably around the centre hole where it fits to the oil filter mounting.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Also those compression readings are a little low.
Should be above 190 psi across all.

You drop a bit of oil down there to help get those results

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Take the coilpacks out and the large plug in each and using a torch see if the piston crowns are wet .. I found a puddle in one cylinder which proved to me my head gasket was foobarred ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pointers , the trolly jack and stand are ready waiting for Saturday Morning
then we will have a good inspection / stripdown .

Will keep informed ....thanks once again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE..........

Well what at first looked like a corroded oil heat exchanger seemed to correct any fluid loss when a second hand unit was fitted. It seemed to be back to normal for a short while until the head gasket finally went!.

I would suspect that the primary cause was the oil heat exchanger and the head gasket was corroded between the water ports not helping. It is a toss up as which one was the older of the two problems.

The car was picked up and taken to Autolusso and after Ned stripped it down it was decided that a replacement cyclinder head on the strong bottom end was the best cure.

Good job I love that car...........thanks for you help :smash:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts