Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know its been discussed before... but I need a new set of boots and was looking for the Michelin PS2's, but they are very expensive it seems. I can buy a set of Eagle's for £107 cheaper than the Pilot's - is it worth that much extra?

Options:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 225/40 R18 (92Y) - £464
Pirelli Pzero Rosso 225/40 R18 (92Y) - £495
Pirelli Pzero Nero 225/40 R18 (92Y) - £540
Bridgestone Potenza RE50 225/40 R18 (92Y) - £544
(note, not RE50A, these seemed to be 88Y rated? Also not pole position version)
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 225/40 R18 (92Y) - £571

Is the Michelin really worth the extra, can anyone tell me:
- What life they got from their Eagles?
- Are they noisy?
- To they tramline/torque steer?

I am currently running PS2's... so I have no point of comparison, but seems like a lot of £££ extra?!

Sorry to repeat a frequent topic, need some help deciding :(

Note these are mobile fitted prices from Event who come to you, including the 5% discount for buying four tyres.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Eagles have a softer compound which make them an ideal tyre for road and track day use. If you do M way driving you'll get 20,000 plus out of them. The wife has on her Sportwagon. If its town driving you do that can drop dramatically depending on your driving style to as low as 7,000 miles. They are and you can quote me on this unbeatable in the wet. While others let go, you'll be blacking out as you deal with the G. Put a thread on here for Cheap Tyres in the South East, it may help, but I think as you are so far west it may not be worth your while. Wouldn't fit anything else.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
What sort of GT is it you have TaulPaul?

I have tried 5 sets each or so of Goodyear F1s and PS2's on the track and road.

The PS2 is a way better dry track tyre, and a way better allround tyre for longevity, comfort, grip, controllability, noise and heat stress endurance.

The F1 is a superb value tyre, and is good on track, although not as good as the PS2 in the dry, and at most a teeny weeny bit better than the PS2 in the wet.
I have done a lot of wet track days with both of these tyres.

The F1s tend to get their sidewalls well creamed and feel very squirrelly when they go over temperature.

After a year of normal road use the F1's can be a bit noisey, the PS2's are definitely a more refined tyre and defintely cope better with very high torque/bhp.

There is slightly more torque steer from the F1's due to their strongly directional pattern.

However just for road use the F1's could be better value depending on how you drive.

If its a 3.2 then go for the PS2's, if its a JTD the F1's could make sense if you want to save a bit of dosh.

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
98 Posts
I vote for PS2's, haven't had our 3.2 GT long enough to replace tyres, but used PS2's on many cars and I give them the thumbs up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am on my 2nd set of PS2s. Feel much better than the OEM Pirelli Rossos. 1st set lasted 25K on mixed motorway and twisty roads.

P

·
0 Posts
As a direct replacement for the Eagles, i use TNG Star Performer UHP af half the cost but 95% the tire. Great value! a little soft on the sidewalls, but so is Eagles!

As a replacement for Michelin PSII?....hmmm.. know of none which cost less... I too am a big fan of PSII's :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had PS2s on my GT 3.2 and changed to Neros. Much preferred the Neros, better grip and feel. The PS2s had done about 11k, so they were far from worn out, but one had worn badly on the inside due to faulty track rod end so got them both changed.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all - thanks for feedback :D

In answer to Trailbreaker I have a JTD, so lots torque to steer with but less power and weight to stop than the 3.2.

The PS2's are definetly more capable than my JTD and driving style (which is not that gung-ho but relativly calm unless I am in the mood) require.

I think, if the Goodyears can last as short as less than 10K, that I would rather pay the extra for the PS2's. I don't want to sacrifice life or noise really - thanks to trailbreaker for your feedback on road noise for the F1's

I can get the PS2's (tyre only) from blackcircles for £540 (£130*4) so the £571 fitted price does not look so bad. Might still phone round a few places at lunchtime today if I can.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
My GTA was delivered with Bridgestone RE 050's, and for very fast road use they were great.

Once they were worn to the limits and it was time for a tyre change Bridgestone UAE were unable to provide replacements other than run-flats, and I had to go for Michelin PS2's.

The PS2's are comfortable but don't provide quite the same steering feel & response as the RE 050's, and are also more vocal. One year later I'm faced with the same problem as the Michelin's have about a months wear left in them, and Bridgestone still fail to support the middle East Market for high performance sports tyres in all sizes :(

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AlfaMartini - you can get the RE50A here but they seem to be hard to find in the 92Y rating, most shop have 88 rated tyres, and as I have 92Y PS2's and the handbook states 92Y load rating I would not want anything else.

Its interesting that you say they are vocal, the only thing I would change about the PS2's (apart from the price of course!:cheese:) it would be to make them quieter, but with that profile its probably quite difficult.

I think depsite the cost I will be going with some PS2's, they are probably worth the money :D

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
I think it came up before, but here you can find a German test... Scale goes from 1.0 (best) to 5.0 (worst)...

tire test 225/45/17"

For the non German speakers ;) :

Trocken = Dry
Nass = Wet
Gerausch = noise
Rollwiderstand = rolling resistance
Verschleiss = wear

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Toyo T1R's - £85 each ;) I've decided to give them a try on the GTA, they were excellent on my Elise, and my sis has them on the LupoGTi and I was impressed on there too.

·
Registered
727 Posts
PS2s win hands down each and every time for me. I also am on my second set and have nothing but praise for them.

Toyos are good, I have had many sets of T1S on previous motors. You will be pressed to find a better value for money performance tyre out there, very high levels of grip, but it comes at a price...they are of a very soft compound, and wear out stupidly quick. I fear on a GTA's front, they would last VERY little! ;)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Has anyone tried P Zero Rossos and PS2's on a V6 Alfa?

I am pretty happy with the P Zeros and they, like the PS2's, seem to have a stiffer sidewall and better wear rates than the F1. I wonder how they compare with PS2's... Since I occasionally venture on track in the GTA as and when a trackday car I'm using throws a fit or I'm doing some instruction, something with a stiff sidewall and not too soft rubber seems a good plan.

Then again, I run my Zeros well down on recommended pressures on road with just me in the car, maybe I'd like a softer tyre! They make so much difference to the car it's always a tricky decision - which is why I stuck with what I knew before.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I too use slightly lower pressures on the road than the factory ones.
I haven't tried the P Zero Rossos,

This tirerack site is always worth a look for huge customer feedback relative ratings, currently the RE05A pole position is #1 followed by the PS2.
The PS2 has better dry handling but the RE05A Pole Position wins because of its excellent wet handling.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

The RE050A Poleposition (i.e. the top version of the RE050) is ranked #1
The RE050A is ranked 7.
The RE050 is well down the list.

Zeros are suprisingly far down the list - give the PS2's a try James!
Pints are on me if you don't like them :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone tried Michelin PE2s on a GT? I had/have their forerunners, the Pilot SX on my Renaultsport Clio (smaller car I know) and they are brilliant. I've read the PE2 is even better and was thinking of trying them on my GT JTD.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Peter K might have had the Pilot exaltos on a 3.2, I don't think he liked them, they are three classes lower down the Michelin range compared to the PS2 though..

P

·
0 Posts
Yep the Exalto's are no good compared to PS2. very much softer sidewalls.

I don't see the point to them to be honest..Cost the same or close to PS2 and falls short on all counts in comparrison. I think they might have a higher speed rating though, so maybe its meant as an Autobahn (i.e no hard cornering) high speed tire?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts