Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of GT ownership I've become pretty good at fixing creaks and squeaks with patience, adhesive-backed felt (apparently this has an AR P/N!!) and silicon lube.

One thing I ain't been able to crack is an intermittent creak from the A-pillar - sounds like its the pillar trim creaking against the dash. I've had the trim off and used a little bit of silicon lube but nothing seems to cure it.

I notice that every 147 (even '08 models) that I've had as courtesy cars all have this issue.

Any ideas??????

Thanks 166lover

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
It's possibly chassis flex and may even be the windscreen moving. Never heard of one poping the screen but the sealant does allow a little movement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could this be the problem? Fun starts @ 3000!

I had creaks from around the a-pillar on my GT. Made a temporary fix by removing the glove compartmen and placing some clamps between the magnesium frame and the body. This requires some acrobatic skills though :) Also crawled under the steering wheel and made the same modifiation there. The dash is now rattle and creak free. The fix is very simple to make but doesn't seem like a good permanent solution.

Another possibility is to remove the windshield and tightening the little bolts as mentioned in the article. I don't know if this is possible though. My garage thinks not. Does anyone here know if it is possible to thighten the bolts on the magnesium frame with the windshield removed? (removing the dash is something I would very much like to avoid)

Amazing that Alfa have not permanently fixed this problem after so many years of production.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Erka,

Thanks a million!

Its not actually anything to do with the A-pillar as it creaks when you remove the A-pillar cover.

Having removed the fuse box cover and manipulated the dash area I could get it to creak without much pressure. So as suggested I narrowed this down to the bolt on the far right of photo 2 in the link you sent (but being in the UK this is the drivers side!). Its accessible if you remove the air vent carefully. I removed the screw plus metal and rubber washers and gave a good spray with silicon lube and inserted some felt between the metal bolt and the metal washer. So far so good until it dries out!

Thanks

166 Lover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts