Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, i want to ask you for some help, my car has been in the garage for a week, and the mechanic tells me that they don´t know what´s the matter with my car.
it,s a 3 years old gt 1.9jtd 150, with 240k km on it.
the problem is that i´ve lost almost all the power in my car, it was suddenly, not gradual.
now the rpm goes up too slowly ,so the car it´s not functional.
i have been reading the forum and people seems to have great nowledge about this engine, so i hope you could help me.
the mechanic told me that it´s not the egr valve, and he changed also the turbo to intercoller pipes. and nothing.
any ideas would be appreciated.
many thanks in advance

·
Registered
32 Posts
How good is the mechanic and what has he done to prove its not the EGR?

Just that I had a major drop off in power myself and was told it wasnt the EGR. Replaced the MAF only to eventually find out it was the EGR and it just wasnt showing as that error on diag

Just a thought

Good luck

R

·
0 Posts
I bet my house that its your egr valve!!!! The egr doesn't show up on the eobd readers because earlier cars don't have the position feedback channels. just disconnect the egr valve electrical connector and live with the yellow engine light for a week to prove it!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
many thaks for your replys, the GT is actually in the official alfa garage of my town, so i hope they are good mechanics.
i had problems before with the egr, but they are different from now.
they told that the egr valve was unmounted and cleaned, and still the same problem.
thanks again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can you give a bit more detail about how the engine behaves - if it's the EGR problem, then you'll have very little power until the revs hit 2.5k, and from this point on you'll have normal power.

Cheers

Martin

R

·
0 Posts
Can you give a bit more detail about how the engine behaves - if it's the EGR problem, then you'll have very little power until the revs hit 2.5k, and from this point on you'll have normal power.

Cheers

Martin
what he said!! blip the throttle and everything seems fine!!

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
If he's changed the turbo -> intercooler pipe then its not that, these pipes can rub through on a stud on the gearbox. But it could be the pipe from intercooler -> throttlebody. These can split on the underside, causing black smoke and low power.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
634 Posts
EGR valve can cause non start, engine that won't rev at all, will tick over badly, lack power. It can cause a lot of different faults. They do bring up EOBD codes just not one that brings up an EGR fault directly. Boost pressure control valves can cause a bad lack of power, split vacuum pipes to actuator and boost pressure solenoid, MAF can cause engine not to rev correctly, MAP sensor can cause lack of power and poor starting, failed inlet manifold, hope some of these help get your car sorted.:)

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
634 Posts
If he's changed the turbo -> intercooler pipe then its not that, these pipes can rub through on a stud on the gearbox. But it could be the pipe from intercooler -> throttlebody. These can split on the underside, causing black smoke and low power.
Intercoolers can also leak as the end caps come off, if it was a boost leak you would be able to hear it and the car would smoke badly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you all again.
i´ll try to describe as best as i can the engine behaviour, the engine starts, and then could go fine for a while, or could have the next problem(almost ever 2 option).
the rpm rise to slow up to 3,5k or so, after that a little faster, but nothing compared with the normall behaviour, no black smoke, maybe a little whiter than usual.
the mechanic told me that the car is fine when he disconnects the flowmeter(MAF), he tryed to replace with another and it neither works.
and he changed also what he told me that was"refrigerator for the turbo intake pipe" that i assumed to be the turbo to intercoler pipe.
i hope we get into something.
thanks

forget to mention that the car gives no EOBD codes at all

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had similar problem on my 57 plate GT, lack of power, then 2500 revs it would take off with a big plume of smoke out the exhaust. EGR was replaced under warranty and now all ok .

good luck

R

·
0 Posts
EGR valve for sure, I made the same mistake by swapping the MAF after advice from everyone on here:cry: £160 mistake!! Still with a labour rate at the dealers of £100+vat it was worth the gamble to me!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, it has 240k :) and only little problems until now(i´m very happy with this car).
onmonday i´mgoing to talk withe the garage, so i´llupdate the post with the last news refering to my car.
thank you all again, 2 weeks without my car,:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you check the vacuum tube?

My brother had a similar problem. He experience lack of power in a 156 JTD 140hp.
The mechanic cleaned the egr valve, chance de MAF and nothing.
The problem was solved with a simple £4 tube.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I bet my house that its your egr valve!!!! The egr doesn't show up on the eobd readers because earlier cars don't have the position feedback channels. just disconnect the egr valve electrical connector and live with the yellow engine light for a week to prove it!!
I'll take your house as long as you move it to somewhere decent.

Though as soon as I saw this thread I thought EGR valve too. 240K KM is good going if this is the first time it's played up, either that or a turbo hose may have split or the MAF packed in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi, recently discovered that the flowmeter i was refering is the same as MAF(here the pieces have different names), so is the sensor that the garage told me the car is functional when they disconnect it.
but replaced with a new one and same problem( they told me also that they are not sure if the new MAF they installed, fitted my car :confused: ) maybe alafs of 2006 had the two MAF models 3 and 2 and they are notsure wich to place there....
thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
power loss

I've gone through a number of issues recently with my 2006 GT jtdm. The most recent was related to the sensor in the inlet manifold. On certain models of the GT (first released mjet version) the inlet manifold can either stick open or closed. If closed then you get no power and have to put up with non Alfa drivers saying the same old thing. If stuck open then you still have all your power, however, at low speeds and town driving you notice the increase in fuel consumption.. I believe its down to the emissions laws.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
I've gone through a number of issues recently with my 2006 GT jtdm. The most recent was related to the sensor in the inlet manifold. On certain models of the GT (first released mjet version) the inlet manifold can either stick open or closed. If closed then you get no power and have to put up with non Alfa drivers saying the same old thing. If stuck open then you still have all your power, however, at low speeds and town driving you notice the increase in fuel consumption.. I believe its down to the emissions laws.

Hope this helps :thumbs:
I believe you are referring to the 'swirl flaps' in the inlet manifold. These are present in the M92 engine but not in the M19 engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts