Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
My beloved Alfa GT JTDm has decided to give me some headache today. When attempting to start it, the starter motor did not turn at all and a strange rather powerdul humming noise could be heard. The lights on the dashboard were on, the locking and AC was working ok but the starter would not turn at all.
Even when locked the noise did not stop. Now I know next to nothing about cars but it did sound like the cooling fan, albeit much noisier.
Only after I disconnected the battery it did stop, obviuously.
I did not have time to wait for 45 mins and see if a reset will solve the problem and left (with the battery still disconnected). I seem to remember I have had this issue before but cannot recollect how I actually solved it.
Does anyone have a clue what the issue could be?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition:
Following this diagram
I have removed fuse F07, reconnected the battery and the noise started immediately. Then I removed F06 too - same result.
I obviously don't know what I am doing, just desperately trying to solve the problem without having to be towed to the service.
I also noticed that the coolant level is way too low (I know...). I guess this could have caused the problem in the first place but I guess topping it up now wont make a difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More follow up:
I have tried removing the AC fan fuse F05 and the fan relay (if I am correct it must be the square in the middle of the above diagram). As soon as I connect the battery the noise starts and I still cannot start the engine - lights are on, everything seems to be ok but the starter won't turn at all.
Apparently there is another relay controlling the radiator fan but from what I gathered it operates only if the ignition is on and I am really tired of trying things I don't actually have a clue about.
By the way it has rained heavily over the last few days - I suspect this has caused the problem.
I am sorry for being a bit of an idiot...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
In all honesty by your own admission you don’t know what to do, best to get someone who does in as they could have it sorted in no time hopefully

·
Registered
757 Posts
The noise might be the starter turning without its gear being engaged with the flywheel (an internal starter fault). The starter is behind the engine on the near side of the car. Listen to see if the noise is coming from there. If this is so you will get quite a spark when connecting the battery; it’s rare but very occasionally this will ignite the hydrogen generated by the battery (especially when being charged) with spectacular results: wear goggles and shield your face while making the connection, have water available to wash the battery acid off…..

Edit: Sorry I was thinking backwards: near side not off side, now corrected. Quite close to central actually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The noise might be the starter turning without its gear being engaged with the flywheel (an internal starter fault). The starter is behind the engine on the near side of the car. Listen to see if the noise is coming from there. If this is so you will get quite a spark when connecting the battery; it’s rare but very occasionally this will ignite the hydrogen generated by the battery (especially when being charged) with spectacular results: wear goggles and shield your face while making the connection, have water available to wash the battery acid off…..

Edit: Sorry I was thinking backwards: near side not off side, now corrected. Quite close to central actually.
Thanks for all the answers. Your help is very much appreciated, again. And I really mean it.
I wrote a follow-up and thought I had posted it but apparently my message just got lost in another dimension. The problem got resolved, quite quickly actually. I called the recovery company and the guy identified exactly what R.T. has suggested - the starter motor was stuck. :thumbu p::thumbu p::thumbu p:
Nothing to do with fans and cooling...
So the guy just banged the starter motor once or twice with a long metal bar and everything was back to normal in a heartbeat.
What he could not say though was whether the problem is likely to reoccur or is more of a one-off.
I have driven the car since with no issues whatsoever (and if anything I know how to fix this now - he told me a hammer was the most essential tool for a mechanic :rofl:).
I was wondering if it is more likely to be a wiring issue or it's the starter itself. Do I really have this properly checked and replaced or should I just forget about that? Obviously I'd rather avoid spending money and going to the garage but if it needs doing, of course I will.
Just to add - the car always starts first time, I suspect the extremely wet weather could have caused the failure.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix. It’s probably a sign that the starter’s days are numbered, but carry a hammer with you and you may be surprised how long it will carry on.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Park on a hill and it should start in 2nd gear when the clutch is released on rolling. Not a permanent solution but sometimes easier than a hammer.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts