Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to you all !

My Gt is nearly 3 years old and done just over 50K , in the next month or 2 I will have the belt and tensioners done, I have heard differing advice on replacing the water pump at the same time, any one had their's done also ? what is the generally opinion on this ?

cheers

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I mentioned changing the water pump when the garage changed my belts and they said it was unnecessary on a JTD. I think the problem mainly affects V6's when you need to change the pump from a plastic to metal impeller version.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The few reported failures seem to blame a seized water pump. I have seen no reports of this from the General Motors makes.

·
Vendor
46,242 Posts
Yes, change the waterpump on the 16v or 20v JTDm engine. I've not seen ONE cambelt failure that hasn't been blamed on a seized waterpump.

The reason for changing it is totally different and unrelated to the reason you should change the waterpump on the V6, there is no metal/plastic impellor issue on the 16v/20v JTD, the issue is seizure of the pump, snapping the cambelt. It doesn't matter if the belt/tensioners are new or old, if your waterpump seizes it will snap the belt.

·
Registered
30,198 Posts
yes, 16v & 20v JTD, replace the pump

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Suggest you speak to Jamie at Alfaworkshop for more advice, and offers very competitive prices for work - also if you are in the Herts/Beds area marshalls alfa in Hitchin are doing a very good deal on cambelt changes and service :)

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts