Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys what can someone tell me about the above i am on the lookout for a GT and quite fancy the Diesel as i do a lot of motorway driving , i have only looked at the JTS so far but have seen one in Dudley on autotrader that looks good, i have a 156 TS at the moment , also what does the M-JET stand for as i do not want to buy something i don't know much about ,i know the way around my TS blindfolded as i have re-built the engine previously, anything you can tell me would be a very big heads up and as always all your advice is taken on board... Many thnx guys ...Mark

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
M-Jet is multijet. It means that the diesel is injected in pulses dependent upon engine speed. This means that the detonation of the fuel is more sustained, making the engine smoother and more powerful. Audi did an advert some time ago about injecting small quantities of fuel through the eye of a needle. Well it's pretty much like that. The JTS is a direct injection petrol engine that uses careful metering at up to 1500 rpm to ensure all the fuel injected is burned. It does however only have one spark plug per cylinder (one 'plug replaced by the injector) although to is to all intents and purposes it is a TS engine.

My GT is a 1.8TS Blackline and out of all the 156/147 chassis cars I've had it is by far the best (even though it's the oldest). It feels more solid than the 156/147's I've had and really is a lovely car.

I've had a 1.9JTDm 159 and the engine in that is just about the same as the GT. It's very strong, economical and isn't too dieselly so to speak. I was at a local tuners last year and he was singing the engines praises saying it's very easy to take it to 192bhp - not that I'm recommending that - because of the strength of the engine. Interestingly I moved from a 159JTDm to an A3 TDi and the Audi was like going back in time 10 years as far as engine development was concerned. Watch out for blown bottom turbo hoses and possible EGR issues - do a search and it'll make sense.

All I'd say is try it for as long as you can - just to be sure, and well, having a 156 you'll know all the issues already.

·
Registered
212 Posts
10-12 k covered in mine since Jan. AWESOME. look out for:

1) Anything you would look for when buying any car and look at this for an idea of specifics: Alfa Romeo GT Buyer's Guide

2) EGR - you can strip, take to pieces and rebuild yourself - easy DIY. I am not handy with the spanners and I managed it.

3) Suspension - Not the best and tends to wear easily - I have 18's and I wish i could try 17's.

4) Driveshafts - Wear in time but easy fix, usually with a spider joint - £60 part and hr or 2 labour.]

5) Dual Mass flywheel - is it wearing? pretty pricey.

6) Doors - Are the straps clicking? Easy DIY fix but the straps are pricey at £40 each.

7) Master Cylinder can break

8) Don't get the JTS - I have been told that it is not the best by 3 different indies

9) Obviously, waterpump and cambelt - as you will know.

10) Oil Cooler Pipes - How crusty are they? The pipes will need changing as will the rad that they go into which can be pricey.

Now some generals. There is the JTD and the JTDm. The m stands for Modificata. There is no real difference but the JTDm is supposedly slightly more economical. This means a VERY SLIGHT difference in tax I believe - IT DEFINTELY MEANS A SLIGHT DIFFERENCE IN INSURANCE, with the JTDm being SLIGHTLY less. 06 engines onwards have a different inlet manifold. These can also cause issues. I have a 55 plate and I have the 06 engine with the old inlet manifold - a good little set up i have been told!! I think they stuck a DPF on the later engines too - at £2000.00, I am happy that mine does not have one fitted!!!

Just be patient, and have a look at a good few. I am certain you'll pick a good'un and have as much fun as me. I cover 120 - 150 miles per day and travelling around is a pleasure now!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh, and the blackline and the cloverleaf...I would have loved a Cloverleaf and I was going to chop mine. After finding out about the manifold setup on mine, I will be keeping it!!!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I have a 1.9 diesel GT as well. Love it to bits! Off to Italy in it tomorrow with the wife.

Mines on 69K miles at the moment, on a 57 (2007) plate. I have done the last 9K miles in 6 months.

Common issues seem to be the lower turbo house (had mine replaced) the EGR (as in all the diesel engines, cleaned mine last week) and the suspension. But then you have a 156, so know all about that. I have had to change the upper arms on both sides as well.

Great place to sit, great place to drive, especially if you have the Q2 fitted.

Drive a few, get a feel for the the different ones, how well looked after or not. Find a decent one and you should be happy.
Previous car was a 159, better built, more comfortable to drive long distances, but no where near as much fun!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
had mine for 4 years now -on 89K
Its a great car on motorways and a-roads, but if i trundling to work in rush hour every day I would say its not a suitable car for that ....heavy clutch and will get sooted up to quickly.

It does require maintenance and prevention measures ...but I have the time and desire to fiddle about with it.
Plan on keeping it for a while.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THNX very much guys much appreciated as i travel to and from London every week it seems a good car for me and i love the alfa specs so can continue my love affair with Alfa Romeo , the one i am going to see is on a 05 plate 75000 miles everything done cambelt ect its priced at £5,495 what does that sound like to you fella's it looks great on the pics i have seen so far ? ....Regards .. Mark

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
THNX very much guys much appreciated as i travel to and from London every week it seems a good car for me and i love the alfa specs so can continue my love affair with Alfa Romeo , the one i am going to see is on a 05 plate 75000 miles everything done cambelt ect its priced at £5,495 what does that sound like to you fella's it looks great on the pics i have seen so far ? ....Regards .. Mark
guess it depends on the spec ...leather/wheels/bose etc ...and condition of course

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i paid £5.7k for my gt in december 88k miles fsh and belts n pump done so price is good and fair

i love mine....best thing theses days is the mpg !! i get 60 on runs high 40s urban

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts