Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got hit by a truck as I was doing a left at a major London junction, I reported the accident within 30 minutes. I thought this would be a clear cut case :lol:.The bottom line was they called it 50-50:confused:because there were no witnesses, but as I told them when I reported the accident this was Hackney! and there are more CCTV cameras at this junction than you could imagine.
Swiftcover did not investigate at all, they told me the other driver was not admitting liability so it would be 50-50 I just cannot believe how lazy a company can be. To add insult to injury they sent me a quote for my renewal, £450 last year £1350 for this:lol:

I have since withdrawn my claim as it was going to cost me a fortune.
So I have my full no claims bonus back and got this years cover for £640 with Admiral.

AVOID SWIFTCOVER LIKE THE PLAGUE Rant over

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
A lot of lazy companies around, but, insurance industry and its leachlike submarkets i.e. accident management/car hire companies needs a shake up....

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I have heard a few stories not in their favour. Probably best to be careful whom you choose.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i really don't like the insurance industry at all. the standard instruction from all companies to their customers is 'do NOT admit liability under any circumstances, we'll decide who was liable'.

that whole ethos STINKS. so you could get somebody who absolutely knows 110% they caused an accident, won't admit liability because their insurers know that if there were no witnesses they can squirm out of 50% of the cost. disgusting.

they're all the same - i very much doubt swift cover are any better/worse than the others

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Similar experience with swiftcover. They are cheap for a reason. It's a bit like flying Ryanair; nobody complains when they are buying the tickets online, but they sure complain during the flight ;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
My wife drove into a car when the other car had pulled over in a country lane. We knew them, so said get a quote and we'll pay for it as there wasn't a lot of damage to their car (just a scrape from our wing mirror) and no damage to ours. Quote came back as a grand, so we said that'll have to go through insurance. Our insurance company said no problem it's knock for knock. I saw the woman in town and asked of it had all got sorted and she said no, apparently we hadn't admitted liability. I phoned our insurance company and said, "look this is our fault, just pay out and we'll take the hit on the premium". Suffice to say, I phoned them twice more, it cost us nothing and the woman win't talk to us and thinks we're awful people.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I thought this would be a clear cut case :lol:.The bottom line was they called it 50-50:confused:because there were no witnesses, but as I told them when I reported the accident this was Hackney! and there are more CCTV cameras at this junction than you could imagine.
This isn't new. The same happened to me years ago in the Wandsworth one way system. Stationary in heavy traffic (isn't it always) the truck beside me scraped into my Lancia. There were even two coppers looking at it and I thought it would be handy to have them as witnesses but they weren't interested, "no one is hurt, exchange details and get moving" was the extent of their "help".

I had damage on three panels but as I was only TPFT and the other driver denied responsibility it was just my hard luck.

You have to remember it is in their interests to settle everything 50/50 because that way they do the move damage to everyones' NCBs.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
NCB are a farce these days too.

I recently changed vehicle and the extra premium was around £200 for the remainder of the policy (about 10 months). I have 1 yncb with this policy but 6 or 7 with another (on my Alfa). I asked what difference it would make to the premium if I swapped my 6 yncb over to the new vehicle, I'd save £100?!

So an extra 5 years no claims would save me £100? Well worth it then :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts