Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my little alfa wants to go slow, which is definately out of character!

symptoms:
It was cammy (not much pickup before 2000 revs then would kick you in the back) so I thought it would be egr corroded/jammed and so plan to have a look at it. Today though I almost stalled pulling away and have no power till get past 3000 then it is bearable but still nowhere near what it can be. Same in all gears, fiat ECU scanner doens't show up anything, ie fuel pressure ok, no water in fuel, air pressure ok, boost pressure bit down but nothing worth writing home about.
Off to stoke tomorrow, first long journey since I have bought it, and it seems I'll be taking the coupé instead.

Any thoughts please?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
if blocking the egr doesnt work (probably will) , unplug your maf and go for a drive, see if things improve:thumbs:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Will try, it better be one of those otherwise I'm competely stuck.

It's bitterly cold out there now it's windy, I want to do it now coz I hate my cars being sick but I will have to wait till tomorrow now.

·
Registered
948 Posts
When you say "limp home mode" do you mean the "motor control failure" warning came up?
I would suggest thoroughly checking the small rubber vacuum pipes to the turbo actuator for any signs of splits or perishing (ie actually remove and examine them). There are three: two connect to the inhibitor valve located top/middle of the radiator and one onto the actuator (the most common one to fail).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well no warning actually comes up but that is what it feels like. The accelerator is responsive till about 20% then anything past there is just ignored by the car. Turbo used to audibly spool at 2000 now its more like at 3000. the thought of the actuator did come to mind, but I didn't know what to check. Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you would not believe how caked the maf sensor was with greasy grass like stuff! Blast out with carb cleaner is much better now.
Before I'd bought the car it had had a new turbo fitted, it seems none of any of the oil that may have leaked at the time was cleaned up. there was a pool of oil in the bottom of the intercooler, got rid of it.
The air filter got oil on half of it, was stuffed in the box instead of being fitted, taken that out and put a k&n in instead.
The EGR hada ton of soot in it so cleaned that out. The solonoid was fine could push it in and it sprung out straight away. The 'valve' side of it was absolutely jammed but it was jammed shut so that wasn't causing any real issues. I worked it free anyway.

The car runs much better on part throtle than it had before. can hear the turbo spooling up at 1500 revs instead of 2000 as before all this kicked off.

Today I'm one happy chappy. Only coz of this site and you guys. Thank you

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
gald your got it sorted, now enjoy:thumbs:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Alfa 156 JTD 1.9 16v Mjet 2005

I have had Engine failure codes sparodically, especially at speeds at or above the 85mph level when the car would go into 'limp' mode, an retrieve itself after four or five starts. Runs fine again for a while and then when giving it some boot on longer journeys reverts to limp after 50-60 miles and just no power at all on lower gears on hills, then clears istself again, car perfoms extremely well until next time.

Have suspected in the past poor battery and MAF and replaced both they required replacing anyway.

Another long journey today after a full service and and throwing up the turbo overpressure code, car decided to go into limp mode over 85mph, again. New MAF and battery and I am now suspecting the EGR is sticking or sooted up.

Before going the expensive route of turbo clean or replacement can anyone suggest whether replacing the EGR is the first option.

Really dragged its heels big time on uphill after it went into limp, would not pick up power on low revs at at all, accellerator just went.... 'nothing'.

Sounds like EGR failure after reading the all posts as turbo works well at all other speeds, can someone relate to these symptoms? Advice would be appreciated.

Again running perfect until I go on the next long jouney 9/10 it will happen again.

Thanks

·
Registered
948 Posts
" Turbo overpressure" code is normally caused by a sticking turbo actuator or damaged turbo. Very small chance it could just be the (pressure) sensor; try giving it a clean. Might as well give the EGR valve a clean while you're at it, as they are notorious for getting coked up and sticking. A stuck EGR valve will usually give the error "air quantity above target value", if anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just been investigating the hoses. There is a hose running from the MAF down into a plastic box before it connects with the corrugated hose that runs under the engine.

On examination this box had a hole in one corner, drainage I thought, but it looks rather crude to be actually manufactured that way, burnt maybe, yes. I am of the belief that no air should be entering the system after the MAF. Just wondering now about this hole could it be part of my problem, or is it meant to be there?

Doubt it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sorry to report that my originally posted problem has come back.

Here is one for you guys.
Previoius owner had grossly overfilled car with oil! We have drained it back to normal if still a tad high. Are alfas particularly sensitive to having too much oil. I know it can do a lot of damage, but some engines cope better than others.

I noticed last time that the intercooler had a pool of oil in it so I soaked it out and thought not too much more of it. After inspecting it tonight it is full again! Grr. It doesn't seem to be coming from the turbo, had a look at the crank/cam breather no big deal there either. Any ideas where this oil might be coming from? It is liquid oil, thus the car is not spewing blue smoke out its backside, doesn't seem much smoke at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts