Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this yesterday. :rant:

I'm assuming it was a huge piece of road grit, just like the one that hit my windscreen last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks to the info in a previous thread on foglights I have just replaced one of mine - max 12 minute job - no bumper removal :thumbs:.

Tools - small hammer, pliers, Philips screw driver, pair of gloves.

1. Carefully break and remove all glass from the fog light - right back to the outer metal ring of the reflector.

2. Once the glass is removed you end up with a 1.5cm circumferential gap between the reflector and the plastic grill/cover. With gloves on carefully slip one or two fingers of each hand into this gap and feel for the resistance offered by the clips in the photos above.

3. One sharp tug and the plastic cover comes off revealing the fog light mounting bracket which is attached by three self tappers. Un-do these and remove the bracket plus lamp from the bumper mounting points, unscrew the broken lamp and swap with your nice new one, then re-assemble.

4. Additional duties include cleaning out all the rubbish that has accumulated in and around the plastic grill/housing and wondering whether it's worth taking the cover off the other side just to make sure the car is equally tidy left and right !!

Couldn't be easier.

Looks like a bulb only replacement would necessitate the bumper or under tray coming off ( at some daft dealer price ) - easier to replace the whole lamp in my view.

No excuse now for all those one eye'd Brera/159's I keep seeing :tut:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Leander, good thinking :cool:

It does seem nuts that you cant get that bit of trim off with an intact lamp in place. I wonder if a mod is possible once I have it apart mmmm :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. e-Learn suggests you have to take the bumper off to release the surround clips but you seem to have done it from the front, is that correct?

I've ordered a new one for £22.90 from here ALFA ROMEO 159 2006> FOG SPOT LIGHT LAMP NEW - £22.90 : AG Autos
I removed the cover (not the bumper) under the engine and pushed one of the metal clips from the inside to remove plastic cover around the lamp. When one of the corners comes loose you can carefully pull it off. Then the 3 fastening screws will be visible from the front.

Didn't think of removing the glass and pull off the cover from the front, but I had to change the oil filter anyway, and because of this the cover/skid plate had to be removed...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New lamp from AG Autos arrived in two days. It looks about right although it is made by DEPO and the original is by TRUST. I'll see if I get a chance to fit it over the weekend.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK job done in about 15 mins. Here are some pics showing what to do.

First get your replacement fog light, I got a Taiwanese copy for £22 but it looks every bit as good as the original and the beam pattern is the same. ALFA ROMEO 159 2006> FOG SPOT LIGHT LAMP NEW - £22.90 : AG Autos. You also need to get a new bulb as I would not recommend using the old one even if it still works. I looked in the manual and it says it is an H7 bulb, but this is wrong it is an H1. I bought the Halfords Extreme Brilliance version, expensive at £19 but it does seem to be brighter than the standard bulb.

Remove the smashed glass bit by bit (watch out for your eyes and hands etc). The clips on the trim are only on the inside edge so you want to get enough inside edge glass removed to hook something in behind the trim. I used my plumbing wrench which worked very well first tug. Clear away all of the glass debris from the bumper before you pull the trim off to avoid scratches (not like me :tut:).

You can now remove the three screws and jiggle the lamp unit out. The cable is just about long enough to do this. Note the very rusty fixings for the screws :eek:. I covered these in copper grease before putting the new lamp unit in.

Connect the cable to the new lamp and test it works before putting it all back! If all OK jiggle the lamp back in and put the three screws back in place. Now adjust the lamp aim to be the same as the other side by pointing at a wall. The adjuster hangs down below the lamp and can easily be accessed through a hole in the under tray. The lamp as it came was aimed way too high.

If everything is OK you can now put the trim back on, get the outer edge seated correctly and then push the inner edge clips back into the bumper.

Job done :)

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just in case I put some silicone around the edge of lamp glass to avoid water/mist inside the lamp. This will not be visible from outside.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fantastic assistance, thanks guys! Had one foglight cracked and after attempting to get through from underneath and via the wheel arch, read this today and in 5 mins job was done!!!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Perfect timing this being bumped as got one on order as near side is cracked:(

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Using this thread iv'e just changed the busted fog light on my brera in less than 10 minutes (faster than it took to do the same job on my old 156) thanks to all the previous posters :thumbs: :D

G

·
just a thought on this. I used to have a civic with those great trianglular stone attracting fogs. I used something called lamin-x on them. its a thick self adhesive plastic. Cut to shape, stick on, problem solved :D

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have the same clear material from my bonnet bra on all the lights lenses, they are slightly undersize to allow heat to disapate

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks to all posters - had the same problem on my drivers side fog lamp (only had the car a week) and thanks to these clear instructions had it changed in 15 mins or so. Managed to prise the trim off around the fog lamp though, without having to smash the glass, guess this is a way to change the bulbs easily when they go.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks to the info in a previous thread on foglights I have just replaced one of mine - max 12 minute job - no bumper removal :thumbs:.

Tools - small hammer, pliers, Philips screw driver, pair of gloves.

1. Carefully break and remove all glass from the fog light - right back to the outer metal ring of the reflector.

2. Once the glass is removed you end up with a 1.5cm circumferential gap between the reflector and the plastic grill/cover. With gloves on carefully slip one or two fingers of each hand into this gap and feel for the resistance offered by the clips in the photos above.

3. One sharp tug and the plastic cover comes off revealing the fog light mounting bracket which is attached by three self tappers. Un-do these and remove the bracket plus lamp from the bumper mounting points, unscrew the broken lamp and swap with your nice new one, then re-assemble.

4. Additional duties include cleaning out all the rubbish that has accumulated in and around the plastic grill/housing and wondering whether it's worth taking the cover off the other side just to make sure the car is equally tidy left and right !!

Couldn't be easier.

Looks like a bulb only replacement would necessitate the bumper or under tray coming off ( at some daft dealer price ) - easier to replace the whole lamp in my view.

No excuse now for all those one eye'd Brera/159's I keep seeing :tut:
Thanks for this, just changed the light on my 159, great guide

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've got a smashed foglight and wouldn't mind getting it fixed, however both my foglights seemed to be slightly yellow at the bottom of the reflector (I guess water has gotten in). The black trim in front of the foglamp, does it pull out from the car? I'm guessing if it does a good tug would get it off? Looking for the easiest way to replace and a bit confused as to if you actually need to smash the glass?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts