Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got inspired by the stories in the 33/Sud thread and found some of these pics that I scanned recently...

This thread is for stories about growing up with Alfas, with Alfa-crazy families. Share your stories pics and cars here :)

Lets start with this one:

This was our driveway during the holidays in +-1985 (I was 4 years old). You can see a silver Giulia Nuova that belonged to my uncle (driven down to visit all the way from Kathu in the NC), a Fiat that belonged to another local uncle I think, a blue Sud ("Blouroes") that belonged to my late uncle (I think he was a student at that stage) and our own 1969 Giulia Sprint Veloce 1750 (complete with flickers on the bumper and "flying buttress seats") at the time. O, and my red Colt BMX, most likely with some Alfa stickers ;) Seems like I was trying to sneak a peak inside the Fiat there (Those days I used to think that the markings on the speedometer indicated how fast any car could actually go...that was usually the case with Alfas, in some cases they were even faster though :thumbs:).

Attachments

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Great thread Stig !
This is my pic from the previous thread.....Taken in about '78... My Dad's Berlina and 131 SuperMirafiori.
My dad also had some other cars, mostly Fiat and Peugeots... something like 6 different Pug 404s for company cars, and one Ford... Pic of my sister and me ( I must have been younger that 2 here). He vowed never to buy a Ford after this car....
He had some really nice cars in his time, some others were terrible. He hated the Viva GT, it constantly broke down apparently. This is the only pic I have of it, with my mom and sister.... I was a very small baby at the time). He sold it soon after this pic was taken.... to buy the Fairmont :lol: , which by all accounts was worse:D
I have more pics, but not scanned yet.... really need to start preserving it digitally as well.
My dad had some very nice Fiats, 124 sport etc..... He only got into the Alfa thing in '76 when he bought the Berlina..... After that a Sud Ti joined the family , then the Sud (Export) in '83 (which became my car in 1988, after payng him R3000), the red Sud Veloce in the 33 thread, a 33 as well, and a Sprint Mk2 Veloce.
He also had a 3.0 GTV in 85, His all time dream car..... We were not very rich, in fact we were quite poor at times, but this car was his ultimate Alfa....He bought it after Alfa announced they are leaving SA, so he got it as a bargain, almost new, with VERY few Kms on it ( I thought it was new) He sold it less that a year after to someone in Welkom, and I do not have a single pic of it, and no information:( . All I know it was red, and it had the optional hot cams and go-faster bits.
After that for the next 25 years his cars became much more boring, a selection of Jetta, Cresida, two Corollas, an oddball Uno, then a Kia Picanto and now a Rio.:(

I would love to see Krasch's family car history, I know he and his dad had some brilliant cars.....

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
Geez Eric , there are so many stories but here is one I'm sure the Houdini family could not have achieved. This is one of my earliest memories.
We once went as a family of five in the mid seventies to Umhlanga from jHB in my dads spider. My dad never used suitcases so he put towels in the spider boot then all luggage was packed neatly in the boot .
Even then it was a tight fit but the journey was never over 5 and half hours . The hood was always up.
Once we were in umhlanga we always sat on the boot/hood where ever we went . Some things you just can't do with all the safety rules today .
I will post some others as we go
From an early age there has always been motorsport in the family but not from the driving side even though my dad was sponsored driver in a triumph tr3 rally team before I was born . He switched over to alfas shortly after a rally they were competing in their TR3's. While they were on there journey home from PE to jhb a trio of giuliettas over took their convoy while they were going flat out . Needles to say the order for a ti was put in the following day.
He never did rally again due to family and work but one of his projects when working for his dad was to build and design Kyalami.
So as kid I would often sit next to the side of the track during the week while he would fly around the circuit with Jackie Stewart discussing bitumen mixes for the circuit, sometimes they would actually fly to Spa to take core tests to get exact aggregate grade . There were also the benefits of sitting with kyalami club at their luncheons above the main straight at the GP 's - sadly the only memory sticks out was seen the Tom price accident . I just remember our parents pullings us away from the windows.
The launch of the GTV 3.0 in their debut race at Kyakami was also awesome as Alfa had a special tent and grandstands for anyone who had bought a new Alfa. This was the start of my indoctrination into Alfas . What better day could a kid have watching his dads favourite car clean up the pack. My dad at that stage bought a limited edition Alfa Super Turbo . It only cost then R17000 and had 25 kw more than the GTV 3.0 . It was not a pretty car but it was a lot cheaper than the GTV 3.0 which he would have loved. Due to the nature of his construction business it was difficult to buy a new GTV and he often sold his cars when clients had not paid him to pay staff then would buy them back a few weeks later. This is probably the reason why he had over 35 alfas .

K

·
0 Posts
Continuing from above , my Dads alfa super turbo was such a sleeper car and their was no car around that could touch it except those limited few Giulietta Turbos. The main difference between the giulietta and super ( pre 159 plastics) turbo was Alfa equipped the Super with all the GtV3.0 suspension and brakes. They also relocated the battery to the boot and then put the GTV 6 fuel tank behind the rear seats.
These supers were also unbadged while the Giulietta has a small turbo logo on the back. From the front the super has a tiny 159 spoiler on ( even thought 159 were not out then) and has slots in the bumper for extra air.
Any way my dad had one rule when going anywhere in his Super " nobody overtakes me " so holiday trips became time trials. Best time back from Durbs was 4 and a half hours and this also lead to my fastest downhill decent in the Eastern Transvaal .
Some how dad roped himself into being a small sponsor at the lowveld rally so we left about 5pm to Sabie . Just as we were starting to come down Long Tom pass this Nissan skyline shoots passed us . I could see by the expression on my dads face this was totally unacceptable as nobody is allowed to overtake . So hence the race was now on.
If anyone knows this pass there are a couple of 60km/ hr horse shoe bends so it's not a high speed decent. After a minute of on the edge driving we were on his tail but this chap had no fear and planted it even harder . There were a couple of corners this skyline was in huge slides but this chap could sure drive . After another couple of km this chap finally admitted defeat from this very stable alfa super and pulled over for us to overtake. I think at that stage my dad realized this was also a bit crazy so he backed off a bit and we carried on still at a higher than average pace. When we reached Sabie this same skyline seemed to be following us and also pulled into the bungalows that all competitors were staying at . Except he parked in the Nissan team parking next to his works factory skyline with hannes written on the side doors. He later that weekend won the rally but the expression on his face that evening to see red alfa super turbo with a wife and kid climb out followed by some mumblings was priceless.
I also found out that this road skyline had all the conversions on it so it was far from standard.
His super turbo became the highest milage car at that stage with over 400 000km and still had no bottom end rebuild .
Another memorable race was another super turbo pulling up next to us at the morning of the concours in Sandton.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dad at that stage bought a limited edition Alfa Super Turbo . It only cost then R17000 and had 25 kw more than the GTV 3.0 . It was not a pretty car but it was a lot cheaper than the GTV 3.0 which he would have loved. Due to the nature of his construction business it was difficult to buy a new GTV and he often sold his cars when clients had not paid him to pay staff then would buy them back a few weeks later. This is probably the reason why he had over 35 alfas .
Hi Krasch

See pics of the 1984 Super "Turbo" we had. We actually bought this one from the late Brian Smith (who passed away last week) in the days he used to run GUD filters down here (+-1990). I am saying "Turbo" as we bought the car without engine (and turbo). IIRC they had some trouble with the car's original motor/turbo and my dad bought the rolling chassis. The car was still in very good cond with 80k on the clock. It had Michelin tyres, Bilstein shocks and the GTV6 box and suspension. Although we did not replace the turbo motor, it was the quickest of the "old" Alfas we ever had. It got a properly tuned 2L motor with special pistons IIRC. That, combined with the awesome suspension made this car very fast indeed. My uncle used to own the car for a while and the story goes that his best time from Kuruman to CT (1150km) with the car was 6h30min (about 5 min shy from the time done with his brand new 325i that he owned after this car, all on closed public roads obviously ;) ). In non-turbo form it ran off the 200km/h clock to what seemed to be about 225km/h (the needle became visible again from under the little floating bar that held the needle.

One scary story I remember well (I was about 10 years old), was when we went on a long distance holiday roadtrip past Brandvlei/Calvinia and in the dark at what could have been about 190km/h on a closed public road, the lights died. My dad says it felt like driving into a brick wall with the sudden zero visibility. He found and sorted the short and got the lights working, but no dash lights. I was sitting in the back seat with my little torch getting permission every 10 minutes or so to light up the dash to see just HOW fast we were actually going. My dad and I used to smile at each other contently, as my mom could not see the speeds ;)

My dad still reckons it was one of the best Alfas he ever owned, although I regard it not to be one of the more beautiful models :p.

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
Now those are memories to see that car even though this is a white one . Only came in red and white . They were supposed to make fifty but I can't believe they made more than 15 .

In the early 90's glenwood used to race their legendary twin turbo at swartkopps with glen gibbons driving so it was a norm that my dad and I would go watch . At this stage my dad had finally bought a GTV 3.0 so once again his old rules were nobody over takes him were in place but this time it was very different .
Because we were running late for the main race we were flat out at 240 km/h on the krugersdorp freeway when my dad noticed this red car gaining on us rather rapidly in the rear view mirror . All I could make out then was it's four small headlights but as it got closer we realized it was another GTV 6 and it was driven by a young woman as it passed us .
When we got into the track this same car was parked next to glen gibbons twin turbo and it was currently been stripped of it's intercooler . The reason was Dawie had asked his daughter to urgently bring his personal twin turbo to the track as they needed parts for the race car . I think my dad was actually quite proud to be reeled in at such high speed even though it was a young girl driving .

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Damn...my uncle also introduced my dad to Alfa's...he ONLY had Giuliettas and then 156's!!!

I'll ask them for some pictures but he lived in Secunda, we used to visit through the 15 years with 8...yes, 8 of my dad's Giulietta's! He sold them all and 1 was written off, our red one exec, which was the best looking of all..for some strange reason my dad and uncle at one stage both had those fugly green giulietta's in 1.8 form.

My uncle also had a short stint with a 2.0 Super...this was a sleeper of note and he regularly came visiting in Kimberley and we used to go with him to the "drags" on Sunday's and we'd shock some 3.0 Fords!!!

He sold that car a couple months later as it was "too fast and will kill him one day". My uncle wrote off 5 Alfa's in his 50 years on this earth...he's a real speed junkie! Thank God he's still alive...He's not an Alfa fan anymore as he spent more than 3 times the original price of his current 156 V6 just fixing it...he used to take it to Ray out in Springs...DON'T TAKE YOUR CARS THERE!!!

My dad then got a job at a private school as a teacher, so obviously the pay was better...I can remember I chose ALL my dad's alfa's to this day from 1999!!! I showed him the cream giulietta in the autotrader(when we still bought that magazine each week!!!!) and I liked the EVO R(remember those???) wheels it had on and he said ok, he'll buy that one for me for my 21st birthday...I was 13 then lol, 3 months later again we had a roadtrip to JHB with the Giulietta and went looking for his dream car...the GTV in red...we originaly looked for a 2.5 but could only find a 2.0 He stayed over in JHB and we had to come home via bus as he had to sort out the car issues...I can remember hearing that GTV come round the corner at FULL swing and those Delorto's screaming...i opened the gate and told my dad to let it rip...what followed was two long BLACK lines about 7m long...i was SHOCKED!!! I can rememer it like it was yesterday!

What followed was the obligatory accident as evident with these brothers and their alfa's and he then resprayed the entire GTV and redid the momo wheels and the engine was redone...we drove the car in for about 3000km's. One morning on our way to church it was me, my cousin and sister in the GTV...it was only drivin on weekends...a 325i BMW stood next to us...I don't know what they did to the engine when the overhauled it but i can clearly remember we tore that 325i a new ******* and I cget goosebumps when I think of that race when my dad slammed it into 3rd and it spun its wheels!!!! He then lost his job at the school and then it spiraled downwards from there...the GTV's crank gave issues and it then got the donor 1.8 motor from our white giulietta(still standing since then...2001) and my dad only had the cream giulietta and the GTV which was now his DAILY to school 50km's out of Kimberley and back each day...so you can imagine it was no longer looking nxa...

it finaly retired when our 33(oh ja we had a 33 as well with the recaro seats, he bought that 2 months before buying the cream giulietta...we had 4 alfa's in our drive each day!!!for his then girlfriend:cheese:) was sold after the job loss...the cream giulietta then went to said girlfriend who then also left us but he let her drive the car until she can get a new car...obviusly she F'd it up real good...we then swopped the GTV's 1.8 over to the Giulietta as it was more practical after my dad got it back from his then ex-girlfriend so the GTV had to go on the backburner...2005(I'm starting to tear up when I think back now) and it has been standing in my sister garage since then...the Giulietta is in my garage now, STILL awaiting the bonnet...bloody Alfa Used Spares in PTA!!!!!!

So morale of this look back in history that brought a tear to my eye, having such cars in your fam kind of makes memories much more fonder, much better, it was our bonding session...I can remember my dad refused to let the guys put the new pistons and conrods in the GTV's 2.0 as he wanted me to see how polished up and shiny they were when I get back from school...eish. Alfa's are as part of the family as a family dog is...

He decided to not be hasty and rather wait for the right GT to come along as he can't make his mind up to get a GT or a 159, he was in JBay this holidy season and saw a black 159 with that 159 kit...and now he wants a 159 again, and then in two months time I'll call him and try to explain how the GT 3.2's sound at idle with that quad exhausts and then he'll instruct me to start looking for a GT 3.2 again...we were 99% complete with a 3.2 GT deal in CPT..but the owner got cold feet, kind of expected that from a lawyer!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another Alfa family driveway

This was my uncle's driveway in Kuruman in +-1986

That is my cousin and I doing a F1-style wheel change on my uncle's silver Giulia Nouva while he keeps a watchful eye. (I am the one wearing the WP-style shirt :)

The red Alfetta was also theirs. It was a early 80's 2000 Super with Momo mags that used to see the red line daily.

The blue GTV 2000 (+-1979) belonged to us. We used it to tow the little red Mini Marcos in the background from CT to Kuruman. We got into an accident on the way there in the pass near citrusdal - scary times! Was a miracle that we came out of it unscathed... Just bent it into shape and carried on

The second pic shows the Alfa-Mini rig post accident. Note my mother's very 80's hair and outfit.. lol.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts