Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've received a lot of interest about the intake pipe I got custom made for me as per this thread:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/172481-my-156-gta-dyno-results.html

So I decided to organise a group buy:

Price Stainless Steel: AUD$200 (approx £95) + shipping (Aluminum $180)
Fitment: 156 GTA, 147 GTA, GT 3.2 (may fit 2.5 & 3.0 V6, I'll find out soon)
Material: 304 Stainless Steel
Size: 3.5" (slightly bigger than OEM pipe, but fits just right)
Finish: Polished & matches V6 intake runners nicely
Deadline: Sunday 5th July (sooner you order sooner you get the pipe)
Payment: Bank Transfer or Paypal (I get no profit for this so any charges have to be covered by you)
Pics:

Lemi

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Forgive my ignorance - but why stainless steel? Its a relatively poor material in terms of heat deflection, much worse in fact that either the plastic standard pipe or the autodelta carbon versions. Alluminium would be a much better choice for an intake pipe IMO if you really have to have it made from a metal

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Fitment: 156 GTA, 147 GTA, GT 3.2 (may fit 2.5 & 3.0 V6, I'll find out soon)
Should fit the 2.5 V6 too, I have a GTA carbon pipe on my 2.5 V6 and it fits fine

·
Registered
238 Posts
Forgive my ignorance - but why stainless steel? Its a relatively poor material in terms of heat deflection, much worse in fact that either the plastic standard pipe or the autodelta carbon versions. Alluminium would be a much better choice for an intake pipe IMO if you really have to have it made from a metal
yeah totally agree, stainless steel is not a good material to use at all.

The standard alfa pipe will perform much better

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
How slow would the intake air need to be travelling to increase its temp via conduction from the intake pipe?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aren't the intake runners Stainless Steel as well?

In terms of performance I think it’s definitely better than the plastic one. The throttle response is better, with the pipe alone, and when I added the "ram air" 90' pipe as per attached thread I could feel the car pull better as well.

BTW, I will ask about making it in Aluminium.

Lemi

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should fit the 2.5 V6 too, I have a GTA carbon pipe on my 2.5 V6 and it fits fine
Thanks for the info :thumbs: might have to get the other guys with V6 involved as well

Lemi

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah totally agree, stainless steel is not a good material to use at all.

The standard alfa pipe will perform much better
I've just spoken to my guy about Aluminium vs Stainless Steel and this is what I got from the conversation:

• He can do it in Aluminium as well and the price should be about the same, but will confirm when he gets the prices from his material suppliers tomorrow. So I guess you guys have a choice :thumbs:
  • He also said that Aluminium actually gets hotter quicker than Stainless Steel, but it also cools down quicker. Aluminium will be a bit lighter, but it scratches much easier. None of this will actually effect the engine performance in real world driving conditions.
Lemi

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
How slow would the intake air need to be travelling to increase its temp via conduction from the intake pipe?
Thats exactly what I was thinking! I don't think it would make that much difference TBH

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Lemi,
Thanks for coming back to us about this.
I am really interested but I can't meet your deadline sorry but I have spent a shed load of money these last couple of months and if I don't go on holiday somewhere with the missus she will kill me! :lol:
If the opportunity arises again I will 100% be interested :thumbs:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lemi,
Thanks for coming back to us about this.
I am really interested but I can't meet your deadline sorry but I have spent a shed load of money these last couple of months and if I don't go on holiday somewhere with the missus she will kill me! :lol:
If the opportunity arises again I will 100% be interested :thumbs:
No worries,

Get in touch after the holidays anyway.

Lemi

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just spoken to the fabricator about the aluminium version.

He want's AUD$180 for the aluminium one. Plus it will save you a little bit in shipping costs, as its lighter.

He also pointed out:alu will get dull quickly and takes a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good. He also offered to make it look like 'brushed alu" which doesn't get dull as quickly, but then again it does not match the intake runners.

Currently shipping to most of EU is about $50, boxed/registered, and takes about 5-10 days. Aluminium version will be less, as its lighter.

Remember, deadline for all orders is 5th of July. He will make them in the following week, so you guys in Europe should have them by 20th of July or earlier...

Lemi

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
thanks Lemi. i've put my order in. :thumbs:

how much difference could it make? for me, i'm not chasing the utmost of power (not the right car for it really); if i lose half a kW, no big deal.

all components in the engine bay are subject to heat. the throttle body is 'heated' by the 'coolant', the plenum gets hot, the intake runners get hot. in theory, having a hot intake pipe might be detrimental, but i'm not worried. Lemi has assured me the car drives no worse - and seems to be better. sounds good, looks good. i understand if some of you have concerns.

:)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The metal in the engine bay gets very hot, even my strut brace is too hot to touch after a long drive. The carbon intake pipe is cooler than the rest of the metal in the engine bay but its still very hot and anyway the carbon pipe didnt make that much difference to power, just louder induction :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
The metal in the engine bay gets very hot, even my strut brace is too hot to touch after a long drive. The carbon intake pipe is cooler than the rest of the metal in the engine bay but its still very hot and anyway the carbon pipe didnt make that much difference to power, just louder induction :)
What he said, probably the most effective way of reducing the intake temperature is to compartmentalise the intake system away from the engine bay using heat shielding plus ensure you have a cold air feed.

Heat shield for cars, exhausts, turbos, catalytic converters

The temperature of a gas is a measure of the speed of its molecules. Increasing the temperature of a gas increases the average speed (and therefore the kinetic energy) of the molecules. This causes the molecules to ‘spread out’ – a phenomenon called thermal expansion.

A given amount (mass) of air takes up more space when it is hot. In other words, hot air is less dense than cold air.

Saying that having the most efficient cold air feed possible can be damaging to your engine without a remap.

Compressing a gas reduces volume which forces gas particles to collide into one another more frequently which causes a temperature increase. Temperature by definition is the measurement of average kinetic energy. Thus small volume, lots of particles = larger average kinetic energy.

In laymens terms if you have a denser mixture of air in the cylinder then when compressed by the piston it heats up to the point that it pre ignites the fuel/air mix before the spark.

Most intakes are bling.

P.S. I cribbed some of that off other sites cos I know how it works just other people have put it better than I could ;)

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
:lol: I think most of that is common knowledge between us lot but thanks for the lesson anyway :p

What ever happened to the water injectors you used to see years ago - they sprayed a very fine mist just above the filter to help make the air cooler/denser :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,096 Posts
:lol: I think most of that is common knowledge between us lot but thanks for the lesson anyway :p

What ever happened to the water injectors you used to see years ago - they sprayed a very fine mist just above the filter to help make the air cooler/denser :confused:
They still very much exist, but are used mainly for turbocharged cars....
see f.i.
Aquamist

·
Registered
155 Posts
They still very much exist, but are used mainly for turbocharged cars....
see f.i.
Aquamist
Yeah some of the integrales came with them for homologation purposes, but you only got benefit from them on very hard track driving. Road and normal track, and nobody found the benefit.... plus the water got used up quickly anyway !

1 - 20 of 46 Posts