Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a groaning suspension (Front, passenger side) for approximately 7 months now. I have been to 3 garages to have it fixed and have had the following done:

- Anti roll bar
- n/s/f upper suspension arm
- n/s/f antiroll bar link
- o/s/f upper wishbone and anti roll bar link
- n/s/f upper suspension arm (for the second time)

It is getting pretty frustrating now. It only happens when it is warm outside (13 degrees + but is really loud). I don't know if it is relevant but it all started very soon after I had the AA out to sort a dislodged fuel pipe and they jacked the car up (rear drivers side).

If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
lower wishbone?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
typically:

squeak = upper wishbone bushes

knock = ball joints of wishbones [upper or lower], drop links.

a thumping sound, low down at your feet = arb bushes

a groaning sound = excessively worn bushes or loose bolts.

each lower wishbone has 4 bolt to hold it in place, some of these could be loose or 'threaded' OR your wheel bolts could be loose, i doubt they groan for 7 months though

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
mine was a lower wishbone - unfortunately one of the last things I changed ! :rolleyes: but the other components were worn
yep, if you tell yourself that enough times it starts to sound like 'the truth' ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it a lower wishbone is it easy to identify. I am amazed that 3 different garages have not been able to pinpoint the problem?

How can I tell if it is the shock absorber?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
as another poster said it could be a broken spring, my friend V6Jon had a creaking noise form his car, turned out the lowest coil of a front spring had broken.

measure the height of the highest point of the wheel arch to the ground, on a flat surface. all 4 corners ahould be within 10mm of each other

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
almost as bad as Rob£rtos

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have measured distance from top of wheel arch to floor and all distances are the same. Guess this rules out a cracked spring? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my case I pinpointed the noise to come from the lower wishbone outer bush (the one below the outer CV joint). I had someone jack the car up and down while I listened through a swimming pool hose, with the other end stuck against the various bushes and ball joints (I suppose a vacuum cleaner hose would also work).

I then removed the wheel and inspected the bush. It was clear that the bush is disintegrating, with about 20% of the rubber already fallen out (the bush is only the front halve to start off with).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my case I pinpointed the noise to come from the lower wishbone outer bush (the one below the outer CV joint). I had someone jack the car up and down while I listened through a swimming pool hose, with the other end stuck against the various bushes and ball joints (I suppose a vacuum cleaner hose would also work).

I then removed the wheel and inspected the bush. It was clear that the bush is disintegrating, with about 20% of the rubber already fallen out (the bush is only the front halve to start off with).
Can anyone post a picture showing the bush that DawieS is refering to?? I don't have a clue!

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts