Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning!, been a member for a while but this is my first post...

I am the proud owner of a 2010 MA Lusso :D (Red with black leather trim added). It was one of the first in the country - I took deliver in Nov 2010. Currently got just 20k on the clock with 3 years of happy motoring. I have owned Fords (which I rate highly) and just before the G, an Audi A3 (poor build quality and broken spark plugs:tut:) and an A4 (nose heavy lump of lard). Move to an Alfa was a delight and more people check the G out than they ever did the Audis.

Apart from the renowned gear knob top issue, which was of course replaced by the dealer I have had no issues whatsoever since owning it. Until recently.......the guili has developed this groaning noise when I reverse slowly (and turn) and also when I pull away forward in first slowly. This happens nearly all of the time in those circumstances but not always. The noise is akin to a (how can I describe this..) low pitched bassy whale noise. Its sounds a bit alarming. It was serviced a few months back.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
sounds to me like the brakepads aren't properly releasing. the answer could be as simple as another brand of brakepads, or cleaning the brake calipers will help aswell.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does it sound like chewbacca? I get this from time to time, I remember reading online something to do with the clutch/flywheel, but not posing an actual problem or anything to particularly worry about,

It happens rarely for me, the car picks its moments, would be good if someone could shed further light on it.

Saying that since my service I don't think (not sure though) it's made the noise and after the first service the brake discs were cleaned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not like chewbaca...more like low pitched whale noise. It is definitely coming from the rear of the car..

It seems to be better this weekend, nowhere near as bad as during the week for some reason. I'll get in checked out when it has its MOT in a couple of months.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same noise, the dealer replaced the flywheel and the clutch, but 6 months later the noise came back. I`m still waiting answer from the dealer...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got a similar noise but happens in any (or no) gear, only at speeds less that 5mph, a literal crawl. I find it I press the brake pedal it goes away.
Does yours still occur when brake pressed?
Also mine sounds as tho it is happening for a quarter of a tyre revolution.

·
Registered
200 Posts
First thing that came to mind when you described the problem was the issue others have mentioned with the brakes. I had a very similar sounding problem with my Bravo. Changed my discs/pads and all was good again.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Don't think so, the hill holder either applies pressure or it doesn't.

Brembo's have never been quiet brakes, and the slightest hint of dirt impeding with the movement of the brake pads will make matters worse.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Morning!, been a member for a while but this is my first post...

I am the proud owner of a 2010 MA Lusso :D (Red with black leather trim added). It was one of the first in the country - I took deliver in Nov 2010. Currently got just 20k on the clock with 3 years of happy motoring. I have owned Fords (which I rate highly) and just before the G, an Audi A3 (poor build quality and broken spark plugs:tut:) and an A4 (nose heavy lump of lard). Move to an Alfa was a delight and more people check the G out than they ever did the Audis.

Apart from the renowned gear knob top issue, which was of course replaced by the dealer I have had no issues whatsoever since owning it. Until recently.......the guili has developed this groaning noise when I reverse slowly (and turn) and also when I pull away forward in first slowly. This happens nearly all of the time in those circumstances but not always. The noise is akin to a (how can I describe this..) low pitched bassy whale noise. Its sounds a bit alarming. It was serviced a few months back.

I have had that noise since almost new, you have to just creep forward very slowly, as if when u take your foot from the brake and the car starts rolling forward, and of course in 1st.
Cant say what the problem is but I must admit I havent heard it for sometime.

I thought it was just the pads clinging everso slightly to the disk, I like your description- low pitched bassy whale.

Will use it when I see the dealer- if the problem returns

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have exactly the same problem car makes a groaning noise in either forward or reverse gear comming from the front of the car only for a second when i release the clutch ,worse when the car is on a slope most annoying ,has anyone found what causes it yet .??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine does it. Took it to dealers who confirmed it is a clutch issue. Something to do with the material the clutch itself is made from. There's no known fix apparently - another alfa 'feature'! They have written of to alfa to check if a fix has been developed yet but confirmed its a gearbox out job if they have. Seems strange that not all cars are doing it if this is indeed the case and I haven't been fobbed off (I do trust the dealer , who has a good reputation on here).

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had a similar clutch noise on my 156 when I first had it. Answers I got then were similar (like the friction material). The noise came and went over time but the clutch never went. I had the car from 40,000 miles to 135,000.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts