Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks,

Just signed up tonight and threw a welcome post in the Newbies section but thought I'd drop one in here to say hi to the NI members.

I'm Phil, from the Lisburn area. I recently bought a 2006 159 Lusso 1.9 JTDM for the daily commute. I have a heavily, heavily modified Toyota Starlet project (I run the UK owners club for these little fun boxes) but she has become too...aged, shall we say...for the daily drive to work in Portadown.

Unfortunately I've had a few problems with the car already, engine light has been on 5 times in the 3 months I've had her - she's had two new exhaust gas temp sensors, she blew the two front sidelights, and despite an MOT service 2 weeks ago, last week she failed MOT for a broken offside front spring....thankfully the car has come with a 5 year warranty, though whether that'll cover the spring I will learn tomorrow.

My family aren't new to Alfa ownership thankfully, my folks currently have a 159 Lusso 3.2 V6 Q4 in black from Donnelly's, previously they owned the blue GT Cloverleaf that MS currently have for sale, and before that a 147 Lusso, and my sister just bought a Mito from MS, so I'm hoping to learn to persevere with the issues with my own 159, although I hope to call in to Donnelly's tomorrow as they have a grey 2.4 159 in that I may take a look at.

Since getting the 159 I've had to fit some cleaner front side lights and I got some OEM front and rear mud flaps for her. I threw in some Philip's Blue Vision number plate bulbs and I have some cleaner fog and main bulbs to go in, and I've also got some OEM mats and wind deflectors for her for Christmas, so I'm hoping to not have to shift her on as I'd like to fit these parts and not have to fit them to my folks'! lol

I look forward to being a member of the AO community and to learning more about what I've got myself into with Alfa ownership, temperamental as mine appears to be, they are simply beautiful cars and I do enjoy looking out into the work carpark and seeing the Alfa stand out amongst the other motors.

Cheers folks,

Phil.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Welcome.

I have noted the GT at MS, it would be tempting if I was in the market atm, looks a nice example.

Fancy telling us what MS paid for it?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Welcome to AO Phil.:thumbs:

I see your Alfa ownership is off to a shaky start but hopefully once the niggles are sorted you'll get plenty of trouble free miles.

What Mito did your sister get? MS have a nice QV but it's been there for months and it's still at least £1000 over priced.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome folks!

MS paid around 2k less than they are currently advertising it at. Hence why I aint buying it back off them lol!

My sister got a black one, hub caps not alloys I believe, not sure on exact spec but I can find out, its the 1.4 non-turbo I believe with DNA switch, she got it the day she passed her test and I haven't had a spin in it yet and its been 2 weeks!!!

Yes, my start in Alfa ownership is a bit shaky...and today it shook a bit more. Got the offside front spring changed today and en route back to work called into Donnelly's to look at a 2.4 JTDM 159 in silver, with NO intention of buying it. I was assuming worse MPG and higher tax than the 1.9, but I took it for a spin with Stephen Gallagher in there nontheless, and I was VERY impressed with the car's performance, that 210bhp really does shift for a big lady! it also sounds incredible for a diesel, wasn't expecting that! During the run I checked the average MPG....exactly the same as the 1.9. I then checked the tax....exactly the same as the 1.9...you can see where this is going.

So, did a deal for her against my red one. very uncharacteristic of me tbh, i mean i've owned my starlet for around 7 years, I wasnt expecting to change the first car i bought after 3 months. but i just had no real faith in the red one, 4 or 5 times in 3 months the engine management light came on and a busted spring...thats all fine and dandy but driving lisburn to whitehead once a fortnight wasn't cricket, but i was determined I wanted to stay in a 159.

HOPEFULLY this one will be more reliable. She'll get anything she needs from Donnelly's before I get her, oil, timing chain if necessary. she isn't a Lusso but I was very impressed with the suede interior, so i'm having it scotch-guarded, and I also noticed the 2.4 comes with the big calipers as per the V6 rather than the smaller ones on the 1.9, wasn't expecting that so quite pleased. The car appears to have been an ex demo and then owned by a minister, so thats a nice safe and solid history I hope. Coming with OEM mudflaps and mats although i'll throw my new mats in, and it also has a tow bar which is a nice bonus.

a shaky start in alfas indeed, but not enough to put me off them. no chance. really looking forward to getting the 2.4 home!

Phil.

B

·
0 Posts
Welcome and nice one :thumbs:. Hope the 2.4 goes well for you. That was to be the next move from my 156 2.4 20V, but the 2.4 Brera my wife got this time last year has a real thirst for fuel. Sounds great and looks fantastic but drinks like a fish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks sir! to be honest i was expecting her to be thirsty, i read on AutoExpress last night that they average 32, whereas they gave the 1.9 at 38mpg.

however, when i checked the digital display today she read 39.2, i think on my daily short blast to the Moira roundabout and then in to Portadown from there my 1.9 was averaging 39.6, so if i can maintain her around the 39 mpg mark i'll consider that a win, problem will be when I turn the radio off to hear that unusual note from her and then i suspect the mpg may take a nose dive for a few miles. hopefully it can deliver a nice balance of around 39 mpg on a regular basis and a nice delivery of power when its needed.

been having a nosey around the site, looks very comprehensive and very impressive, looking forward to being a member of the NI chapter here!

being involved with the UK Starlet Club as admin for many years i'm a firm believer in the benefits of owners clubs when owning a car, the advice and support to be had is often unparalleled and invaluable!

Phil.

B

·
0 Posts
thanks sir! to be honest i was expecting her to be thirsty, i read on AutoExpress last night that they average 32, whereas they gave the 1.9 at 38mpg.

however, when i checked the digital display today she read 39.2, i think on my daily short blast to the Moira roundabout and then in to Portadown from there my 1.9 was averaging 39.6, so if i can maintain her around the 39 mpg mark i'll consider that a win, problem will be when I turn the radio off to hear that unusual note from her and then i suspect the mpg may take a nose dive for a few miles. hopefully it can deliver a nice balance of around 39 mpg on a regular basis and a nice delivery of power when its needed.

been having a nosey around the site, looks very comprehensive and very impressive, looking forward to being a member of the NI chapter here!

being involved with the UK Starlet Club as admin for many years i'm a firm believer in the benefits of owners clubs when owning a car, the advice and support to be had is often unparalleled and invaluable!

Phil.
:thumbs: Yes - I think that's a sensible approach to the expected MPG issue. This does forum has an incredible amount of info - even without raising your own posts. There are a lot of people who seem to have vast experience of Alfas and are more than willing to share it - for free!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
excellent! i look forward to membership here! the starlet owners dont quite understand my choice of an Alfa, so it'll be nice to be understood! lol

Phil.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
:lol::lol::lol:

That sounds entirely like something I would do.

I bought a brand new GT diesel a few years back only to change it 9 months later after walking into the Alfa dealer and seeing a Nuvola white 147 GTA.:D

Biggest regret of my life was selling it but maybe some day I'll own a V6 again. The 4 pot turbo in the Giulietta doesn't quite give the same aural thrill.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers gents!

you're making me worried about achieving 39mpg in the 2.4 now lol!!! think i'll be keeping the windows up and the aircon off lol!

called into Donnelly's last nite to produce the necessary proof of address etc etc, signed on the dotted line, she's in the shop already, apparently all she needs is an alignment and a basic service which is good news.

parts to fit upon collection stands at:

Alfa Romeo Tax & MOT disc holders
Bee sting ariel
New factory 159 mats
New factory wind deflectors
Cleaner coloured bulbs

hopefully the CD player is better in this one than the red one, the red one would kick the cd out on a left hand turn for some strange reason, really annoying.

Phil.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the world of alfas...Im not on here often but always like to say hello to the new members if nothing else. Persevere with them theres always dodgy ones out there...not my own aint had so much as a blown bulb in nearly 2 years. Im still a fan of big power in small cars so can understand the previous addiction.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the welcome!

the previous addiction lives on, although off the road at present. she'll be back one day when i get her to stop leaking oil lol!

Cheers!

Phil.

·
Registered
926 Posts
excellent! i look forward to membership here! the starlet owners dont quite understand my choice of an Alfa, so it'll be nice to be understood! lol

Phil.
and the Alfa owners definately don't understand your previous addiction !! I've been watching that Cloverleaf GT at MS too,but it's way too dear-Platts in England have an identical car,with 7K fewer miles for just over £11K-thats 2 grand less than MSs original asking price! I reckon I could make the journey over and bring the car back and still save £1500. There is a great selection of GTs at the right price on the mainland,the Cloverleafs arevery tempting when you see the asking prices,and I even found a Mangoletsi Modifica with 200 italian stallions for under 9K. Just have to sell the Lancia first or Mrs Dave will kill me:mad:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the previous addiction is simple and explains why I will never sell her:

Light is might.

200+ bhp with almost no turbo lag in a car that weighs as much as a bag of Walkers Salt and Vinegar. it may not be sophisticated or modern and comfy, but the grin it puts on your face when it wipes the floor with some German machinery worth 20 or 30 times her value, is hard to deny.

everyone needs a hobby to tinker at. and tinker as i may do with the 159, the Starlet will still be in the shed for the dry months (although this is NI, so i will rephrase that as "slightly less wet days" lol). i've been involved with the Starlet scene for ~ 8 years, and been running the uk owners club for about half of that, so i've watched us grow from 50 members to being the second most represented club at the biggest Jap shows in England, second only to the Supra boys, hence why i am a firm believer in the benefits of owner's clubs and why I came here and to the NIIMC club too.

an alfa for the daily cruise and an obnoxious light weight rice rocket to tinker at in the shed, there's worse things i could spend my time and money on lol. both cars put big smiles on my face.

hopefully that explains it all a bit clearer.

Phil.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
'I've been watching that Cloverleaf GT at MS too,but it's way too dear-Platts in England have an identical car,with 7K fewer miles for just over £11K-thats 2 grand less than MSs original asking price! I reckon I could make the journey over and bring the car back and still save £1500.'

M Stewarts are definitely a bit on the expensive side with this one. See the following. Better spec as far as I can see and Veloces do not have a reputation for being cheap!
Veloces of London : ALFA ROMEO GT 1.9 JTDM 16V CLOVERLEAF 170 BHPQ2

·
Registered
70 Posts
I picked my Brera up at Veloces - flight and train to Barnet £120 (booked 12 hours beforehand), fuel £50 (they gave me a full tank too), boat (booked as I drove up after figuring how to link to Blue & me) £120. MS wanted about £2k mark up to get me a lower spec Brera.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts