Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it is Mrs PF birthday at the weekend and we are off to Greenwich.

can anybody recomend a nice palce to eat that has a bit of atmosphere (bit like a tapas bar or something similar*) and where is it best to head off to after dinner is there a perticular area of pubs/bars that is nice?

*looking for a sociable type of eating setting rather than just a standard (not being clear here I guess - basically somewhere its nice and easy to chat and chill and eat too)

ta muchly :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 28yr old Neice used to live in Greenwich and now lives in Eltham with her fiance.

Not been in the restaurant myself but there is a Mexican on the corner of the junction near the market that she often takes my Sister and Brother in law (when they're up from Dorset) with her fiances parents and they all swear by it. My sister reckons it's the best Mexican she's been in. I'm pretty sure it has a website so you could try a google search.

Keep meaning to try it out myself sometime.:)

As for drinks after there are a good few pubs nearby and smaller bars or you could head to the O2 if you'd prefer your more generic drinking/eating establishments.

I'm heading into the West end on Saturday as it's my eldest son's 11th birthday and we're going to Madame Tussauds (courtesy of Tesco Clubcard) and onto Ed's diner for lunch, film in afternoon and then dinner before heading home hopefully all tired but contented:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great thanks guys, I had forgotten abotu the O2 so thats a good back up plan - this mexican sounds intersting, i know we will spend the afternoon walking around so will have a look.

Thanks again

·
Registered
95 Posts
The mexican on the corner is called cafe sol. We have eaten here on a couple of occasions. food was OK, it is not a gourmet 5 star restaurant, but was perfect for our needs (family meal). If you are planning a walk around, I would suggest a walk into Greenwich park up to the observatory. Parts of this are free entry ( I think the planetarium you have to pay for). The view across to Canary Wharf is pretty good. Another good walk is through the foot tunnel next to Cutty Sark to Island Gardens. There is a nice little carribean run cafe there, good for a coffee and a home made cake.
Not sure what it is like now, but a long time ago I went for drinks with work colleagues to the Trafalgar tavern, which is directly on the river, via a path next to Cutty Sark. Was a really good pub back then. It gets good online reviews on google.....

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
It's been 20 years since I lived there but the Trafalgar Tavern was a short and pleasant river walk from the centre (Cutty Sark) and a pleasant pub. I spent many a happy evening there.

I've googled it after all of those years - it is posher now but still looks pretty good to me and the photo of the bar shows it as I remember it. :-

http://www.trafalgartavern.co.uk/

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Quite a variety of restaurants in the O2
The 02 Arena is a fantastic place to visit, BUT, if there is a major Band playing there it will be totally packed in ALL of the restuarants / bars in there, from about 4:30pm onwards and I wouldn't recommend it for somewhere to " chill out "......... :eek:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, we are goign to head to the Market too and haev seen the park is nearby.

The only thing on at the O2 is Strictly come dancing roadshow so hopefully wont be too hectic (and even more hopefully mrs PF wont be tempted to go to it!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts