Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is that the right name?

Any thoughts on how good/bad they are?

Are they the type you have to warm up 1st before the damn things actually work? Or are they good in everyday driving?

Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Are they for your current 156 Max?

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i've got them on the rears of mine, no probs at all:thumbs: can't tell how good/bad they are though, as i'd imagine it's the fronts which do the vast majority of the work

PS they're made by EBC and are indeed just known as EBC 'green stuff' pads

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
You dont have to warm the Greenstuffs up.

Which is just as well, because when you do they might fall apart and stop working..

I'm exaggerating slightly, but have heard lots of complaints about them, mainly from more pwoerful cars though which really Greenstuff aren't suited for.
I believe they are aimed at light modestly powered cars.
..and they have literally decomposed on track for folks who inadvisadly used them there.
For a twinny for sensible use they are fine I'm sure, as long as you aren't planning on tracking it at all..

DS2500's though are excellent, and will stand up to anything you can throw at them. Cold performance is fine, warm performance superb.
If you dont plan on going too mad the Ferodo DS-Perfs are quieter than the DS2500's (which can occasionally squeek),
the perfromance is very close to DS2500 but better "1st application" cold performance.

I dont know if the performance friction pads are available in your size, but the PF Carbon Mettallic z-rated ones should be good too.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i'll echo what TB says, i have ds 2500's on the front and they squeal like hell until you give them a good cooking once in a while to remove any glaze. cold performance is ok, similar to the OEM alfa pads, with a bit of heat in they're a lot better

PS i'm talking about road driving here, some of it quite spirited but no track work

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have ''greenstuff'' on the front of my 1.9 156 and I find them a whole lot betterthan the standard set up. Now that they are bedded in nicely the braking is powerful and progressive and it feels that thye will bring the car to a halt. No squeaking, just smoothe progressive braking:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got Greenstuff pads on the front of my Mondeo, and they are brilliant, the stopping power is now much better, and even better than my old 156 V6 and my 156 TS. I'm pretty sure though that the standard 156 discs are alright and it's just the pads that are crap? :confused:

But, if you can go the whole hog get some decent Greenies Discs, vented, grooved etc etc etc, they should go well with the pads, :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, it's a car I'm thinking of buying (possibly seeing this weekend) - it has the Greenstuff discs and pads. Sounds like they'll be OK. The car is a 156 1.9JTD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh Christ, yeah they should be fine mate, better than fine really. They are MUCH better than standard discs and pads anyway that come with Alfa's, much much much better.

Even if you don't get on with them it's not an expensive swap to carry out.

One thing I will say though is that they can squeak a bit if they're new but they eventually shut up, :lol:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Greenstuff is only nice if you do not do any decent trackdays etc (ie: only street usage).
For heavier use: CL, Hawk, Ferodo & Pagid etc are the way to go !

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I've got Redstuff on the GTA. They don't need warmed up and give much better bite than OEM. Oh, and no squealing either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have green stuff pads on my 156 when I bought it. They squealed like an over excited pig and I really didn't get good pedal feel from them. Now have Feredo DS Perfs. Much better!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had EBC Greenstuff on my Primera on the front with standard discs, the pads are pretty good BUT since they generate a lot of "grip" on the discs they heat up verry quickly, on a twisty road it is (depending on your stile of driving) easy to overheat the discs which will cause fading.

I will buy Greenstuff on my Alfa as soon as the OEM stuff is worn out, but this time go front & rear and at least on the front i'll take improved discs, at least EBC Turbo Groove.
I'd like to go for Tarox, but the slotted ones are not allowed in Germany yet :(

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had EBC Greenstuff on my Primera on the front with standard discs, the pads are pretty good BUT since they generate a lot of "grip" on the discs they heat up verry quickly, on a twisty road it is (depending on your stile of driving) easy to overheat the discs which will cause fading.

:cheese:

Perhaps a 'how to use my brakes training' ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Greenstuff are Poor fade quite quick with light spirited driving
go for yellowstuff they are very good with little dust to had them on my ZS completed 4 trackdays on one set and still were going strong

1 - 18 of 18 Posts