Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow alfisti. The title is pretty much straight forward.
I tried yesterday a 2005 GT, JTD, black with tan leather (my favorite) and it seemed well cared by the owner. He is selling it to buy a volvo station wagon :)S )
It seemed pretty good, no rattles or noises, pulling good til 4700rpms, until I entered the motorway and tried all the gears. The 6th gear didn't entered straight down from 5th. Like this it cranked. Had to go middle and then all the way right and down.
I'm pretty excited about the car but am I for a lot of trouble because of the gearbox? Clutch didn't seem heavy.
Thanks for the advice.
Bruno

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi mine does that some times, might just be a trait of the car ,its an alfa lol. I dont use 5 a lot anyway 4 to 6 I go most of the time

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Don't know if I should risk it. Definitely want to. :devil:
But keep think what if it is damaged and in for a lot o expense fixing it. It has 77000km. Maybe just needs a gearbox oil change?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Did the owner comment on it?

If it's a trait of the JTD, fair enough. Not an issue with the 3.2. My only concern is if it's blown the standard diff and had shards of metal into the gearbox. Though mainly the V6 blow diffs.

:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Mine went like that when the clutch was on the way out the new clutch helped after a bit still has the odd time when you have to apply a wee bit of force.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Did the owner comment on it?

If it's a trait of the JTD, fair enough. Not an issue with the 3.2. My only concern is if it's blown the standard diff and had shards of metal into the gearbox. Though mainly the V6 blow diffs.

:)
the 16v 1.9 jtd m-jets / jtdms have 5 more NM of tourque than a GTA, so diff issues is still a real possability.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hi its spring bias to the middle if you dont keep pressure on it and just take it out of 5 it will pull to the middle .try keeping a bit pressure to the side of gear lever when you try changing it should be ok

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the help.

300stu, I'm not that bad driver lol. I know the tendency is to return to middle but going direct from 5th to 6th it would stuck a bit.
The owner commented that I had to push well to the right to enter, making it sound normal but, beside the owner seeming honest to me, I didn't feel like normal.
The owner did all service in Alfa and said didn't had any problems. Asked if he had the cam belt changed (77000) and he said no, they gave the option of changin at 120000. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Thank you all for the help.

300stu, I'm not that bad driver lol. I know the tendency is to return to middle but going direct from 5th to 6th it would stuck a bit.
The owner commented that I had to push well to the right to enter, making it sound normal but, beside the owner seeming honest to me, I didn't feel like normal.
The owner did all service in Alfa and said didn't had any problems. Asked if he had the cam belt changed (77000) and he said no, they gave the option of changin at 120000. Is this normal?
2005 ...but not yet been changed! ...I would be changing it now. I tend to do mine every 50k miles (80k km). 120k is far too long ...and so is 6/7 years.

Waterpump needs changing at the same time as cambelt. Do not miss this out.

(My 5th to 6th gear is fine)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
6th gear can be hard to select as it doesnt get much use so linkage/cable may not be as smooth as for other gears, if ur just traveling around town etc....u can never get enough speed to use 6th

Gary

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi Peric was not saying you could not drive lol just thought that might be problem, the cam belt and water pump needs changing now, if it has not been done ,cost approx £350 pounds or 410 euros .If you leave it and the belt or water pump breaks its a £900 pounds or 1100 euros repair bill .dont let this put you off the engine is bullet proof as long as this is done only other problems is wishbones tend to wear.Your would here a sqeek from front going over bumps .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. He was selling at 16000€ and reduced to 15000. So it 410€ is not bad. Was wondering if the gearbox would need some work?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts