Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I had the 159 I had a few failures on it, now 2 month in I have had my first failure on my Brera. To be expected when you own an Alfa Romeo I hear you say.

So what has failed?

To start with on the 159 there was:

Bosch ECU - German
Bosch high pressure fuel pump - German
The clutch and DMF flywheel failed - Sachs? Err German

Now on the Brera:

Eibach front coil spring broken - German (again)

For balance, I did have two drive shafts changed on the 159 knowing nothing otherwise I'll assume they were Italian.

Maybe a few more bits of our Alfa Romeos should be Italian, judging by my experience could make more reliable cars!

·
Registered
24,514 Posts
Wiper motor failure on my mine. You guessed it. Bosch.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
yeah i have people telling me how bad the reliability of Italian cars is all the time... and its near always the German bits that are giving the trouble, the same one they fit to most cars in Europe

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Nope, the German brands suffer just as much! And Eibach and Bilstein seem prone to failure on most JDM cars I've owned.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was with group of people over the weekend at a party, a fellas wife told us her BMW had just broken down, like I mean big time! But guess who had the P taken out of him about reliability?

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
I haven't had too many electrical faults on my Golf, only the rear wiper motor failed which was made by Valeo.

Most of the electrical bits seem to be Siemens.

Not sure what make of ECU caused my Dads CLS to break down though as it was a dealer job to fix it. However I suspect it was Bosch as the main engine ECU is Bosch...

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
398 Posts
I guess the difference between a premium and non-premium brand has nothing to do with reliability - only that the premium cars are screwed together tighter i.e. less rattles and squeaks but still the same number of breakdowns.

B

·
0 Posts
Maybe............... if they used French electronic units or perhaps Italian electronic units the failures could possibly be more than what our German counterparts are experiencing....... Just a thought.

There maybe a very good and justified reason as to why so many car manufacturers use Bosch or Siemens etc.

Just a thought......... (spoken like a true German car owner) :lol:

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well working on the statistics we have (here), as its only the German bits which are failing on my car, we might have more reliable cars if used all Italian bits. Interesting link from Tippecanoe.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As Fiat owns Magneti Marelli you would expect Alfas and Fiats to use their management systems wouldn't you...
I understand that the modern common rail diesel technology is a Fiat/Alfa Romeo invention sold to Bosch, I wonder if part of the deal was a supply contract to FGA?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i was staggered recently when my wifes 06 audi TT needed some bulbs changing.. as i poked about removing the various bits of wiring and lighting units to discover that the quality is the same and certainly no better than the 19 year old alfa 155 i have on the drive. Valeo bulb carrier systems haven't got any better at all and the wiring is just as flimsy in the audi

in fact the only part of the audi where you can actual see an increase in engineering quality is the door hinges/stays/ratchet system which looks like a much stronger system

the audi also seems to have a wheel bearing on its way out and given its only done 35k miles is a little alarming

alfa dont use cheap German parts, they use the same German parts that everyone else does

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 51 Posts