Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Great driving roads

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  UglyGerman 
#1 ·
Myself and the special lady are going on a bit of a spin around Ireland for about a week at the start of August. We hope to start off in Mayo and head down south to Cork.
Can anyone recommend any good driving roads out that direction?

G
#3 ·
Dungarvan is ok, but the scenic route from Dublin to cork IE down through carlow etc is a great fun road. Kerry Molls Gap etc great roads.

Let me know when you are in Cork I'll show ya a few nice roads out there:)

#7 ·
I know what you mean, Sally Gap is brilliant. I haven't been able to get up there since I got the car 2 weeks ago because I haven't fitted a Landrover style snorkel to it. I did go up there a few months ago in the girlfriends mx5, great fun! I want to try do it again this weekend perhaps.

#10 ·
Ive been to Molls Gap and Sallys gap along with the other gaps around Molls in the last 2 months :) . All pure class, Sallys gap is probably better for driving as a bit more speed involved and more sweeping bends. Molls gap is great scenery but very easy to get stuck behind lost americans in rental cars.

#13 ·
Heading down the N11 is nice, especially the new part down near gorey etc :)
That new part's great, all the bends are long and smoothly curved with a great road surface. And on a clear(ish) day you can see for ages along the road and spot them pesky traffic corps ;)

#16 ·
Lads,
Made it back in one piece. here is the eventual route that we took in the girlfriends '07 mx5.
I can now vouch for the fact that the road from Louiseburg to Cong in Mayo is the best driving road, The Ring of Kerry/Molls Gap is the most beautiful and the one from Kilkenny and Gorey on an all Ireland day is the scariest especially when you can't see around the corners :) in fact that was the only road that I actually agreed with the speed limit on.
Thanks for all your help on choosing the routes by the way.

#18 ·
Brilliant road I have to say. My god that Delfi adventure centre has changed since I way there in one of they first years it was open in 1993 perhaps.
But that is a great driving road and we only came across it because the one we were looking for wasnt signposted/it literally came to an end!

#20 ·
the mx5 is probably a good "wind in the hair" choice
exactly and we knew that there wouldn't be a sinner on that road as well, thanks for recommending it.

If you want a "scare the crap out of you" drive with a "tired and emotional girlfriend" try the one we took between Kilkenny and Gorey though!!

#21 ·
I agree, Sally Gap is great, Bray - Enniskerry - Sally Gap - Glendalough - Enniskerry.

Or in the west the road between Leenane and Louisbourg is very nice.

I remember this question been asked on boards.ie, have a search there too
Did that very drive today, beautiful stretch of road, the sheep are bloody suicidal though! Got stuck behind an old one in a Mazda 6 on the way back, 20mph all the way and few chances to pass her out. Grrr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.