Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

After many years I have decided to bite the bullet and buy my first Alfa. A 99 T reg GTV 2ltr ts in blue with blue momo leather and I think its great. It has a few niggles but it is only what can be expected from a car of its age.

The thing is I new it was going to cost a bit more to run than my Golf TDI and am fully prepared for the joys of Alfa ownership and the fact it is never going to return 50mpg like my last car. The only problem is it is drinking fuel at an almost alarming rate. So far the best I have managed is 25mpg on a tank of Tesco 99 after a couple of nice and easy long A road runs and a bit of light town driving. Currently on a tank of normal unleaded I reckon I'm headed for about 17-18mpg from some town driving and some motorway cruising.

What should I consider changing to increase the fuel consumpiton. At present one of the niggles is the idle can occasionally be quite lumpy and have heard that this could be the idle stepper motor. Will this affect the mpg much? I have also considered chaging the lamda sensor, will a faulty lamda sensor cause really bad fuel consumption?

Any help is greatfully appreciated.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you get it hooked up to a diagnostics machine, it should tell you if you're Lambda's dodgy, so it's worth doing that before forking out for a new one. These cars have pretty poor mpg anyway, I'd say driving along gently on A roads should give more that 25mpg though, but I'm not sure you'd see much over 30mpg.

PS. I've also got the blue leather, pretty rare :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at lambda sensors is there just one on the 99 ts? I take it I've probably got a CF2 engine.

And if the leather is rare(ish) I'll make sure I look after it.

Cheers

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had exactly the symptoms you have now. Lumpy idle, 18mpg and also hunting at low revs.

Fixed with a £60 Lambda sensor and MPG straight back to 30mpg on first tankful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you buy yours from? If it is on-line I can order one now and fit it at the weekend.

Cheers

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,432 Posts
Can't really comment on the problem but the Lambda sensor would make sense.

I return about 28 - 32 on mixed town and A road driving, enthusiastically ! On long Motorway runs have hit about 35mpg but for everyday use this, unfortunately, seems unrealistic !

Drive and enjoy it, I would think that anything in my range is acceptable, I think so anyway. :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Ts mpg is bad aswell, have done everything possible including the variator, lambda, maf, idle speed controller bla bla and is still shocking! 260 to a tank if I'm lucky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I've ordered a new Lambda and also a cable so I can try out the 30 day trial of Alfadiag on my laptop at the weekend. Im going to be doing quite a few miles so I'll post next week with how I get on.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mine seems to be amazing at the moment. I did 425 miles on a tank and could only put in 56 litres suggesting around 15 litres left in there. Range over 500 miles for sure :p I worked it out at 37mpg - lots of motorway mind you!

·
Registered
700 Posts
My Ts mpg is bad aswell, have done everything possible including the variator, lambda, maf, idle speed controller bla bla and is still shocking! 260 to a tank if I'm lucky
That's what I get too......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts