Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Noticed a strange knocking noise coming from gearbox side of the engine. Noticeable down by the wheel at idle. Sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas? or am I just paranoid. 147 GTA

Cheers
Dan

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Doesn't sound healthy. Does it make any difference if you press the clutch pedal down? Halfway down? Give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't sound healthy. Does it make any difference if you press the clutch pedal down? Halfway down? Give it a try.
Ah yes... the noise disappears when the clutch is pressed. That likely to be a thrust bearing or something then? Clutch could do with changing anyway.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Ah yes... the noise disappears when the clutch is pressed. That likely to be a thrust bearing or something then? Clutch could do with changing anyway.

Thanks for the reply!
If the noise disappears then yes sounds likely to either a clutch release bearing or a gearbox bearing as this would also be disconnected.

Maybe Pud has more experience of this.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Needs to go on a ramp really - see if you can hear the noise from the bellhousing area or if its more audible at the gearbox end casing.

Does the car have a Q2/Quaife diff? Or is it still on the original?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it had the Q2 fitted a couple of years ago.

I'll get it down to my local shop (again) and let him have a poke around. Am I too hopeful in thinking it might be fairly straightforward if its the release or gearbox bearing as maxiboy suggested?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
well clutch change with release bearing is pretty straightforward .. i also replaced the release bearing input shaft and the gear-change bushes while the box was out. also did a quailfe as it was out and didnt have one. all straightforward... if it the gearbox a little more difficult unless its just under the end casing.

get another video of it on the ramp unless the mechanic can trace it easily

1 - 8 of 8 Posts