Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with restaurants being stingy with gravy?

Went to 2 places at the weekend. First place was a traditional country pub, had turkey, was juicey, plenty of gravy on the plate, and a wee gravy boat to the side. That was great!

HOWEVER - 2nd place was a trendy inner-city restaurant. Ordered the chicken. It was quite dry, had little gravy on it, and the gravy that was there was very watery.

Why is this? I half suspected that it was to keep me purchasing soft drinks (softies, no guinness as was driving the GTV). Or is that cynical?

It shouldn't take much to mix up a good satisfying gravy mix, and plenty of it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Agreed, gravy should like a council estate full of chavs. Thick and plentiful.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Must say, Ikea meatballs would be very dry without the gravy.

And when the urge takes you for a dirty greasy KFC, the gravy maketh the meal!

Attachments

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And when the urge takes you for a dirty greasy KFC, the gravy maketh the meal!
No, the only side on offer at KFCC should be the bbq beans. All the others are just waste product :lol:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
No, the only side on offer at KFCC should be the bbq beans. All the others are just waste product :lol:

Anyone remember those lovely spare ribs you could get from KFC in the late 70's and 1980's?

In fact I fancy a bargain bucket right now just thinking about them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, tis just the juice from the devils own satanic behind:eek:
I knew the taste reminded me of something! :lol:

Seriously though, I'm with the OP on this one. Trouble is when it's good there's never enough of it, when it's watery it's so bad your veggies are floating around the plate. And I bet the first one was the cheaper of the two meals!

I can confirm that it is a popular trick of many restaurants to put a lot of salt in things like gravy, to make you more thirsty and buy more drinks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew the taste reminded me of something! :lol:

Seriously though, I'm with the OP on this one. Trouble is when it's good there's never enough of it, when it's watery it's so bad your veggies are floating around the plate. And I bet the first one was the cheaper of the two meals!

I can confirm that it is a popular trick of many restaurants to put a lot of salt in things like gravy, to make you more thirsty and buy more drinks.
Yes the first one was a nice country pub delicious meal with lashings of thick tasty gravy, even a wee gravy boat.

The second was an expensive trendy city restaurant. A spoonful of watery gravy. And I did buy 2 cokes as I was thirsty.

But at the first place we stayed on a bit, she had a tea and I had a Guinness as we enjoyed the meal so much, so the salt adders are shooting themselves in the foot a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I eat out a lot travel all over the place and if I am eating at a posh restaurant I ask if I can have extra gravy/sauce etc if they say no I just get up and walk out they are providing a service which you are paying for (well company)therefore the customer is always right. The amount of times the waiter has chased me to say he will ask the kitchen/chef and lo and behold a gravy boat etc turns up.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I eat out a lot travel all over the place and if I am eating at a posh restaurant I ask if I can have extra gravy/sauce etc if they say no I just get up and walk out they are providing a service which you are paying for (well company)therefore the customer is always right. The amount of times the waiter has chased me to say he will ask the kitchen/chef and lo and behold a gravy boat etc turns up.
Yes but what have they done to the gravy :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good call, always insist on extra gravy or walk.
I would be scared of begrudged gravy though, for the possibility of unwanted bodily fluids....... :vomit:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts