Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

As some of you know I have two 156's. I have a 1998 2.5 V6 which is a bit of a project that I'm working on with me old chum Hammy156, and I also have a 2001 Sportwagon which looks as though the previous owner fancied walls alot, :rolleyes:

The 2001 SW has the sport pack, or whatever the 2001 version of a sport pack was, and therefore comes with the carbon dash surround.

Thing is, I WANT that carbon dash surround, but if I steal it off the Sportwagon, then I'm still going to have a wooden effect gearknob and steering wheel.

Are their cheaper and easier options other than swapping the wheel and gearknob (Won't work anyway due to lift up reverse) or buying new? Can I not buy a 'GOOD' steering wheel cover for the wheel and just paint the gearknob somehow black???

Ideas please!

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
I am sure you could paint the gearknob black. Maybe if you sanded it down, sprayed it with satin black then gave it a coat of laquer that would do it.

The steering wheel is an easy swap, as is the console.

If you sell the sportwagon though, how are you going to explain the wooden trim, sportpack and the leather knob? :D

Its a pity the suspension is different on the 4 pots and the V6 as I bet you would want to swap that over too, although I think most sportwagons had standard springs even if they had the sportpack.

How does the ride/handling on the sportwagon compare to the 156 TS saloon?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunno if I can be bothered to swap a steering wheel over though, wouldn't take a bit too much effort, :confused: If not then I'll try and get it done, :D

I wanted to steal the suspension from the Sportwagon but found out I couldn't yesterday, :lol:

The handling of the SW is actually very good, I'd say comparable to the 156 TS Saloon SP3 I had off of you. Doesn't look no where near as good though, :(

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Just put your lovely pink gear knob back on ... when reselling the car no one would notice anything else :lol: :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: You and that pink gearknob, I'm beginning to worry!!! :eek:

:lol:

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
How come you couldn't be bothered to remove the wheel? Its only a couple of screws for the airbag and a nut.

The wheel will probably be stuck on its splines though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
I thought a large portion of sickos were into leather.

After all you can't buy chrome underwear can you? :rolleyes:

Unless you know different... :lol:

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's a shame the 156 gear knobs aren't easier to remove and replace. I don't think paint would stay on for long, better to change the knob however difficult that is.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Darren I have a carbon dash for an early 156, but I don't have a steering wheel.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How come you couldn't be bothered to remove the wheel? Its only a couple of screws for the airbag and a nut.

The wheel will probably be stuck on its splines though. :rolleyes:
Hmm, do you know if there's a how to or anything for it mate as I may try it this weekend. I just don't want the idea of an airbag going off in my face whilst I'm tinkering around with a screw driver. I have an image of the screw driver stuck in my head, :eek:

It's a shame the 156 gear knobs aren't easier to remove and replace. I don't think paint would stay on for long, better to change the knob however difficult that is.
Yeah, it looks that way mate, replacement it may have to be.

Darren I have a carbon dash for an early 156, but I don't have a steering wheel.
How much were you after for it mate? Ideally I'd rather buy one than steal it from the SW as that'll reduce its value, :lol:

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
Hmm, do you know if there's a how to or anything for it mate as I may try it this weekend. I just don't want the idea of an airbag going off in my face whilst I'm tinkering around with a screw driver. I have an image of the screw driver stuck in my head, :eek:
QUOTE]

Disconnect the battery, wait 15 mins to allow any residual electricity in the system to dissipate.

Remove the screws at the back of the wheel that retain the airbag. These may be tamperproof ones, I cannot remember, so you may need to borrow a tamperproof bit set.

Remove the airbag, and wiring for horn etc...

Undo the nut

Pull off the wheel.

Make sure you get the new one back on straight. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts