Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Top Ten Racing Films. (that I know about)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As in the film (info). I watched this last night. And what a film. Can you imagine such a film being made today? With all the commercial nonsense surrounding F1.

But, what I enjoyed was watching car race on the original Monza with it's curves. :cool: The racing at the old Spa is impressive.

The 10 minutes of a certain town in Maranello. :cool:

So, the top ten racing movies?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I'm with HST on this one Le Mans with Grand Prix a very close second.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've seen most of these films, and I thought they were all pretty poor apart from Heart Like a Wheel, the story of Shirley Muldowney, you may not have heard of it, but give it a try, it's a good story and well acted by Bonnie Bedelia and others. I've never been able to understand the fuss made about Grand Prix, I was working in the racing industry myself in those days, and we all thought it was just a joke, hugely overrated on every level, quite a lot of us conned the makers out of useful amounts of money in helping them to make it, but Hollywood just doesn't get racing, never has and never will. The best racing film I've seen was The Last American Hero with Beau Bridges, I'm not much of a NASCAR fan, but it depicts the era really well. Also, why isn't The Green Helmet listed?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Out of the ones I've seen from the list I voted Days Of Thunder, fabulous film not just for the racing itself but also the mindset of the racers whose drive to win at all costs shows how psychotic they are.

Great cinematography, some great acting IMHO and a fantastic soundtrack?

My fave scene?

The flyby pan over the track as the race season opens with the opening riff os Gimme some lovin cranked up full volume :thumbs:

Brilliant :D

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
What no movie with Stallone racing Indy cars through the streets of Toronto? But I'm sure that's the one everybody would pick. :lol: :rolleyes:

Usually this question is just asked as Grand Prix vs. Le Mans, and in that version I always have to come down on the side of Grand Prix. Sure it's nine-and-half hours long ;) but at least I can actually make it all the way through the movie. For some reason or other I just can't get through Le Mans from start to finish, and I've tried repeatedly.

Don't get me wrong, I like Steve McQueen as an actor, but I'll watch James Garner over McQueen any day of the week. Despite Steve's much better press and street cred (i.e. the whole "tao of steve" type of worship) I've always found Garner to be "cooler" (to use a term I typically dislike) and infinitely more watchable, so his being part of the movie is a big draw for me.

But even beyond Garner's presence, I like the balance of soap opera plotting, great racing battles and fabulous travelogue scenery. It's not just cars whipping around a dark track at night.

kayem, I'd love to hear more about why people in the industry didn't like the movie. I can understand them not appreciating it stealing away resources, but what did they think of the general tone? As somebody looking in from the outside, I've always felt that it did a pretty good job of capturing the personality types and the wheeling dealing behind the scenes.

Now I'm far from saying Grand Prix is my favourite movie of all time. It's not. Actually I'm just feeling the need to rant a bit because I read they're remaking "The Rockford Files" and this thread gives me a bit of a soapbox to say something positive about the lead actor (Garner) without turning into one of those psychotic loonies who has nothing better to do but rave all over the Internet about how Hollywood has no original ideas or talent any more. Still, I can't ever see Steve Carell looking as at-home behind the wheel of either a racing car or a Firebird as Garner.
--Toronto

BTW if anybody gets the chance to see the package that the U.S. Speed Channel put together about the movie Grand Prix it's well worth watching. The interviews interviews with the actors, including Garner and the crew focus a lot on how the driving was done, who did the driving, and the filming techniques of the in-car and racing scenes. The sad part is I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes special more than the actual movie.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The best racing film I've seen was The Last American Hero with Beau Bridges, I'm not much of a NASCAR fan, but it depicts the era really well. Also, why isn't The Green Helmet listed?

I always thought that film had someone way cooler than Beau Bridges as the star, his Brother Jeff:lol:

A big fan of "The Great Race" too (Natalie Wood coverd in cake:D) and "Monte Carlo or Bust"

·
Registered
733 Posts
I always thought that film had someone way cooler than Beau Bridges as the star, his Brother Jeff:lol:
On second thoughts, you're probably right, I knew it was one of those Bridges boys though. Nice caricature in that one of the all-time great Richard Petty as one of the bad guys, but a good film wasn't it? The pic is of The Man himself photographed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed two or three years ago, I'm not a NASCAR fan, but one of the greatest drivers who ever lived, shame that canary flew into his hat. After driving up the hill in his Dodge Challenger, he took off his helmet and wore that hat waving to the crowd all the way down, a really nice man, endlessly patient with fans and photographers, and good old US Southern Gentleman charm personified, meeting him made my day, so let's hear it for the great Richard Petty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I would vote 'Other' as the Gumball Rally seems to be missing and I take that movie over the Cannonball run and its probably more realistic than the others :thumbs:

·
Registered
733 Posts
:thumbs: The King :thumbs:
OK then, here's another one. I see I've labelled it 'Dodge Charger' rather than 'Dodge Challenger', so that's what it must have been. Richard kept on saying how amazed he was that, "These good folks here in England all seem to know about me." He was so pleased to be there, and like I said, a really nice guy.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts