Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - engine management light came on Sunday, then after a restart it went away. Today I took it for a little drive and there is no power (but warning light still gone) and turbo is making a terrible whining, rattling sound. Taking it to CMH Umhlanga tmrw - will give feedback on what they say.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Wonder if this is the same thing that hit Ian Lusso, sound like the same symptoms

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Hhhhmmmmm, mileage? Mods? Oil used? Year model?

I'm at dealer right now and they are gong to inspect my turbo.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aside from a drop-in BMC filter nothing is modded. Model is Oct 2011 and its done 54 000km.

Oil is whatever they serviced it with at 35k and I've topped up once with Castrol Edge fully synthetic.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Sorry to hear man, are you really taking it to CMH Umhlanga?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Greg can you not take it to Alfa PMB or Shelly Beach rather? Worried CMH umhlanga will give you the run around. There is also NMI Alfa on old fort road.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had a similar experience but no rattles or whining. Landed up being a small pipe that came loose affecting the vacuum for the turbo (too much power ;) :) ). No problems since. I hope it is nothing too serious and you get sorted.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Had mine inspected today...no issues...pulls strong as ever!

Prince nero...we should hit up Tarlton one Friday night for some 400m runs

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
mine had no whines or rattles. The compressor turbine retaining nut came adrift leading to the turbine seizing into the housing. Turbo stopped dead from 250000+rpm.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They phoned at 4pm, turbo impeller is damaged. Didn't give specifics but they are replacing the turbo. Only option was them or pmb, Old Fort Road doesn't do Alfa any more. Bought the car from Pmb and their service was shocking. Lied about the history of the car and it was only 6 months old!

Will keep an eye on them, they said 2 weeks plus but I will be calling FASA tmrw to get them a head start.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a different note, I'm moving to Jhb at the end of the month so you will soon see a few more Alfas on the mean streets of Jozi! My 1750 GTV is 90%, just pricing interior trim and electrics.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Great news!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Can you go take some pics of your turbo's internals? I'd like to see what it looks like and if a nutperhaps came adrift.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
yes please!!!

take as many pics as possible of the old turbo, its manifold, turbo housing, impellar etc.

Also measure inlet and exhaust housing pls...or ask them to do it, just say you are interested to know.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do - will go down on Friday as not much is happening now. They said they have to take the motor apart to check for shrapnel damage and I'm very scared of these okes taking my motor apart! I phoned Arnold Chatz and spoke to the foreman there and he confirmed that it is necessary though.

On an interesting side note I did some reading up about oils and it seems that through a regulation loophole the major oil companies are now hydro-cracking base 3 mineral oil to remove sulphur and are allowed to label it as "fully synthetic" even though it only meets API SL standard when the GQV requires proper base 4 stock synthetic which is graded API SM or SN. Ideally should be SN as it is the least prone to coking in the turbo.

SA dealers use Castrol EDGE which is a base 3 "synthetic" so our cars are being serviced with sub-standard oil. Unfortunately the Mobil 1 base 4 synthetic is not available in SA (and is stupidly expensive.)

Not good!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And there is a service bulletin from the factory mandating a change from Selenia STaR to Selenia Pro Sport oil for reasons regarding turbo failure. We don't get that oil here either!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Greg, please post that link of the oil info here if you don't mind, some interesting reading that!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Greg I am aware of the change in oil spec. There is one compatible oil in SA. Mobil 1 New Life 0w40.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
mobil 1 0w40 full synth is easily available and so is liquimoly

1 - 20 of 236 Posts