Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just got my car back from having its 1st years service. Amongst it were a few unexpected software updates: Engine, gearbox and body. The gearbox update was MUCH needed, its been annoying me since I bought it and we'd never got to the bottom of it, even with a new gearbox fitted after 2000 miles! Glad to say its made a notable difference, finally! Not sure of the exact details for the other 2 software updates but would be interested in finding out a bit more on those.

I flagged up a few other issues whilst it was in too. The boot button kept getting stuck in, so thats been replaced under warranty. I found i was getting condensation in the headlight and foglight enclosures after washing the car, which always went again but wondered if a seal had failed or something. Seems its just characteristic of the car! The other issue was with the climate control. I found it was either hot or cold, no in between temperature. Seems I just haven't been using it right! Jonno the service manager @ Piccadilly went above and beyond to show me that it all worked fine, including using a funky laser temperature gun whilst switching to differing temps! Top marks to him and his team for a smashing customer service experience :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
What was the body computer update for - did they say??

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure Andy. I didn't get round to asking to be fair. Was hoping somebody else on here whose had it done could explain. My attention was focused on that gearbox update as that been troubling me for ages!

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Not sure Andy. I didn't get round to asking to be fair. Was hoping somebody else on here whose had it done could explain. My attention was focused on that gearbox update as that been troubling me for ages!
Ok thanks. I think if my gearbox was playing up I'd be most concerned about that!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Basically everything you've listed above are issues I've got with my QV except I have the additional problems of a whine from the engine and a squeaking from the front of the car when cold

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Basically everything you've listed above are issues I've got with my QV except I have the additional problems of a whine from the engine and a squeaking from the front of the car when cold
I get a whine from the engine briefly on start up, but thats only when the outside temperature is around 3-oC or less. As soon as I set off it goes away. Is yours under warranty still?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I get the whine no matter want tempreture and is really loud for about 5 miles and then dies down but is always ther. The car is in alfa at the moment but it's been a few times with it so I'm not holding my breath that it will be cured

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know I have a different engine (1.4) but after my tct gearbox update I noticed N being a fair bit nipper and D being a little less punchy.

Would like to hear what you guys think of the software update.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I have a different engine (1.4) but after my tct gearbox update I noticed N being a fair bit nipper and D being a little less punchy.

Would like to hear what you guys think of the software update.
yeah it feels like N is quicker but D as well. The service manager told me i would notice a difference following the engine update. The power delivery is certainly smoother.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Back from the dealers and turns out it needs a new water pump at 2,500 miles and 9 months old
That's bad news. Mine whines for about 10 seconds but bet it will turn into the same problem as yours. :irked:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love my GQV. Its 4 months old and while it's not perfect it is a great drive.

There is a lot of moaning on this forum.....maybe you guys should try and be a bit more positive - it sounds like you only come here with your problems!

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
I love my GQV. Its 4 months old and while it's not perfect it is a great drive.

There is a lot of moaning on this forum.....maybe you guys should try and be a bit more positive - it sounds like you only come here with your problems!
Just to alert other owners of potential problems their car could develop. Unfortunately there has been a few problems. Mines only 8 months old and had the engine out within the first week! They are a great car but built cheaply. How else can they give such huge discounts.

Reactions: Aphex

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I guess it's anything that's mass produced. My wife's 64 reg mini just had £5k of bottom end rebuild under warranty. Only 4K miles on the odometer.

it's not just Alfa...

my wife's 5 month old Peugeot 208 GT line has been in 6 times since purchase for a number of electrical faults, they had the car a month on one occasion and the faults are still unresolved, currently in the process of rejecting the car.

absolute piece of french crap, added to which the customer service from both the dealer and Peugeot UK has been a shocker. wouldn't accept one free of charge after the experience we have had...

actually strike that

I would

but only for the pleasure of pushing of a cliff, preferably on fire.

ironically we went ot this particular dealer to look at a Guilietta QV which my wife didn't like chiefly down to the hesitant gearbox...:furious:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it's not just Alfa...

my wife's 5 month old Peugeot 208 GT line has been in 6 times since purchase for a number of electrical faults, they had the car a month on one occasion and the faults are still unresolved, currently in the process of rejecting the car.

absolute piece of french crap, added to which the customer service from both the dealer and Peugeot UK has been a shocker. wouldn't accept one free of charge after the experience we have had...
My Missus has had a 208 the last 3 years with no major issues. I've recently ordered her a new 308 GT Line 2.0 BlueHDI - so I really hope we dont have the same problems as you've had.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Not unexpectedly for this type of car the engine and manual gearbox were very tight. The engine became noticeable free'er after around 5 to 7 K miles, although the gearbox did take to about 12 K + miles before slick smooth gear changes became more consistent, also gearbox oil change may have helped out.

The only thing I had with mine to date is the clutch stainless steel peddle cover fell off twice, no big deal by any a call, thats it.
So with 5 years and 44K miles of ownership I'm sure even by car brands would like to claim the same for a cars, one covered its first year doing A and Motorway miles followed by B and unclassified roads these days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts