Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been searching around the web & specifically in this site for threads of the like, couldn't find any. Most of the threads were not about removing the resonator specifically, but more about exhaust changes in general.
My 2012 GQV got a REMUS silencer, everything else is stock.
I don't want / need any more BHP output, the power is more than enough.
I would like, though, some additional 'drama' from the exhaust system. Not looking to rattle the neighborhood or something, just some more crackles and thrill on the sound level when driving the car 'dynamically'.

After A LOT of reading and consulting online, I came to conclusion that removing the resonator (replacing with a straight pipe) might be a good VFM option for my needs:
1. cheap
2. reversible if need be
3. shouldn't be *too* loud
4. looking on some other turbocharged vehicles' vids (VAGs, mainly, couldn't find a good alfa pre/post removal comparisons), i liked the result
5. for as much as i understand, this shouldn't affect a turbocharged vehicle too much performance-wise

I would very much appreciate your input, if you have any, regarding this matter.
If no critical input will arise, I will perform this mod, and post a pre/post video showing the change (improvement, hopefully), along with a review of my own - in order to aid other GQV owners in the future.

thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some pictures, they basically show.... nothing. The resonator was replaced with a straight pipe. That's it.

The 'backbox', I think it's called 'silencer', is Remus. I do not know the specific model.

After some additional time with this mod, I hate myself for lingering so long before actually doing it. The improvement is vast. I've heard that it may impact performance - I can't say that I feel any impact but perhaps I'm not 'sensitive' enough. The impact of sound however... Is very, very much noticeable. The car is NOT loud, it just growls more, especially when you 'push it' on Dynamic mode.

The other day I was leaving for work, then I get a phone call from my wife: 'Just wanted to let you know, I was working on the room with the window to our parking, and when you started up and drove away I heard the car and it sounds brilliant'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok thanks!
What kind of pipe did you used? (Size...)
Ok tour photos do show a lot of thing but of you could put one or two it will be good

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Oryo, you probably won't read this :).

But how is your car going with central muffler deleted? No issues?

I am thinking of doing it as well on my 1.4tb model.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hi PZAalfa
Oryo hasn't been here for over a year......

I do have a 2016 1.4MA. Note that it has two small mid mufflers.
I have replaced the first one with a Ragazzon flex pipe; no welding required.
It makes the system slightly louder.

I also replaced the single out back box, with an H2 Ragazzon with two smaller boxes and two exhaust pipes.
Sound is great, and you cannot see the muffler(s) from behind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi PZAalfa
Oryo hasn't been here for over a year......

I do have a 2016 1.4MA. Note that it has two small mid mufflers.
I have replaced the first one with a Ragazzon flex pipe; no welding required.
It makes the system slightly louder.

I also replaced the single out back box, with an H2 Ragazzon with two smaller boxes and two exhaust pipes.
Sound is great, and you cannot see the muffler(s) from behind.
Thanks for reply.

Mine is 1.4tb 120, so I believe only has one central muffler/silencer.
I guess I will have to bite the bullet and replace it and see how I go.

I bought rear ragazzon muffler and I'll buy ragazzon centre pipe, I hope they know what they are doing so it will sound nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
I have since changed the car (to mx5 nd rf), but can tell that this mod was probably the best I had, especially considering value/cost.

The sound improved significantly, it didn't disturb during highway cruise, had 0 issues with it. Totally recommend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
I have since changed the car (to mx5 nd rf), but can tell that this mod was probably the best I had, especially considering value/cost.

The sound improved significantly, it didn't disturb during highway cruise, had 0 issues with it. Totally recommend.
Thanks champ.

Th

1 - 12 of 12 Posts