Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has a Spider Imode Tuning box fitted to their Qv?

What has your experience been like so far, as I'm considering purchasing?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
464 Posts
Who has a Spider Imode Tuning box fitted to their Qv?

What has your experience been like so far, as I'm considering purchasing?

Cheers
Andy

Me.
Its been on ages now and works great, giving a very much smoother power response than standard once the short initial set-up milage has been completed.

Currently my old version with the numbered Power & Response dials (0 to 9) is at max, compared to the delivered settings of 2 Power & 6 or 7 Response (I think from memory).
On another thread I have mentioned more details.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me.
Its been on ages now and works great, giving a very much smoother power response than standard once the short initial set-up milage has been completed.

Currently my old version with the numbered Power & Response dials (0 to 9) is at max, compared to the delivered settings of 2 Power & 6 or 7 Response (I think from memory).
On another thread I have mentioned more details.
Any reason you went for Spider tuning rather than Novitec Powerjet 3, which also seems quite popular with other forum members? I am swaying towards spider imode. Does it really learn your driving style? What's the throttle response like over standard? What connections does the spider tuning box connect to? Is two connections better than the three that the powerjet connects to.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

·
Registered
945 Posts
Can't vouch for how it is on the QV but I got my first one about 2 1/2 years ago which was the same as the one described above. Then a few months later traded it up and upgraded to the Performance pack (with the mode buttons under the boxes case).

This one is now on my Fiesta and my Giulietta has the new imode Performance Pack which is great so when I'm doing city driving I can fire up the app on my dash mounted mobile and just choose eco made which gives you slightly more smoother power and more torque but gives really good fuel economy, then depending on the drive ahead I can instantly switch it to either a Fast Road mode or Race mode. It works as well as the DNA switch and works along side it.

It doesn't necessarily matter all the time what mode your in as it adapts because if your cruising and being light footed it will use no more power than what your car normally outputs but if you start to throttle it hard it comes alive and adapts to give you more output (max output limited to the mode that you've set) than your car would normally give.

Race mode is more for extra top end power focus for when your pushing it to the red line alot and may not drive the smoothest for every day travels (hence the mode name) so its nice to have the imode to switch on the fly.

So yeah i've had 3 boxes, all of them have been faultless caused no issues on both of my cars in 2 1/2 years and greatly improved them both so I can recommend Spider.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't vouch for how it is on the QV but I got my first one about 2 1/2 years ago which was the same as the one described above. Then a few months later traded it up and upgraded to the Performance pack (with the mode buttons under the boxes case).

This one is now on my Fiesta and my Giulietta has the new imode Performance Pack which is great so when I'm doing city driving I can fire up the app on my dash mounted mobile and just choose eco made which gives you slightly more smoother power and more torque but gives really good fuel economy, then depending on the drive ahead I can instantly switch it to either a Fast Road mode or Race mode. It works as well as the DNA switch and works along side it.

It doesn't necessarily matter all the time what mode your in as it adapts because if your cruising and being light footed it will use no more power than what your car normally outputs but if you start to throttle it hard it comes alive and adapts to give you more output (max output limited to the mode that you've set) than your car would normally give.

Race mode is more for extra top end power focus for when your pushing it to the red line alot and may not drive the smoothest for every day travels (hence the mode name) so its nice to have the imode to switch on the fly.

So yeah i've had 3 boxes, all of them have been faultless caused no issues on both of my cars in 2 1/2 years and greatly improved them both so I can recommend Spider.
Thanks for you detailed comments. You have made my mind up, much appreciated.

Spider imode box on order.
Regards
Andy

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks for you detailed comments. You have made my mind up, much appreciated.

Spider imode box on order.
Regards
Andy
Glad you found my feedback useful, you wont be disappointed that's for sure :) Is that your car in your avatar? I really do like the dark grey version.

Also make sure you follow the instructions on first use, it's recommended to press the calibrate button, leave it at default setting and leave the car running in idle for 3 minutes. Then spend the next 30 miles driving below 3000-4000rpm (I went no more than 3000rpm and just took it on a single motorway drive) while it learns the engine and adapts the maps. You'll then feel the engine loosen up and gain more and more power towards the end of them miles.

Then after that just download the app, connect to your box and put it in what ever mode you want and have fun :D you only have to do this once per car you fit it too so it's fine to just go after the very first calibration.

Let us know how you get on with it :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you found my feedback useful, you wont be disappointed that's for sure :) Is that your car in your avatar? I really do like the dark grey version.

Also make sure you follow the instructions on first use, it's recommended to press the calibrate button, leave it at default setting and leave the car running in idle for 3 minutes. Then spend the next 30 miles driving below 3000-4000rpm (I went no more than 3000rpm and just took it on a single motorway drive) while it learns the engine and adapts the maps. You'll then feel the engine loosen up and gain more and more power towards the end of them miles.

Then after that just download the app, connect to your box and put it in what ever mode you want and have fun :D you only have to do this once per car you fit it too so it's fine to just go after the very first calibration.

Let us know how you get on with it :D
For sure, I will let you know how I get on. Great deal too, I used the alfaowner discount code and they are also throwing in s free in car touch screen controller (sounds like a tablet) which may be useful for the little one, as I have downloaded the app to my mobile which is mounted in the car.

Yes the pic in my avatar is my Gqv. I love the car, the colour and fact that it was ready to drive out of the showroom with a great dealer contribution made it a real no brained purchase.

Thanks again Andy.

·
Registered
945 Posts
For sure, I will let you know how I get on. Great deal too, I used the alfaowner discount code and they are also throwing in s free in car touch screen controller (sounds like a tablet) which may be useful for the little one, as I have downloaded the app to my mobile which is mounted in the car.

Yes the pic in my avatar is my Gqv. I love the car, the colour and fact that it was ready to drive out of the showroom with a great dealer contribution made it a real no brained purchase.

Thanks again Andy.
Really nice car :thumbup: and there's some cracking deals, that's definitely new the touch screen, makes an already good deal even sweater :)

O

·
0 Posts
Oh FFS why did i read this thread!

Now its made me contemplate going and buying one.

Iv just been on their website and the one I would want is:
Performance Pack Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8 TBi 1742cc 235hp 173KW 340NM

This is £399 but with the code reduces it to £325

Is it worth it and really a noticeable difference? I know it claims it can reach 306 bhp but is this accurate without upgrading the intercooler etc? Would be extremely tempting if so haha

How are you finding yours Kidz?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
464 Posts
Oh FFS why did i read this thread!

Now its made me contemplate going and buying one.

Iv just been on their website and the one I would want is:
Performance Pack Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8 TBi 1742cc 235hp 173KW 340NM

This is £399 but with the code reduces it to £325

Is it worth it and really a noticeable difference? I know it claims it can reach 306 bhp but is this accurate without upgrading the intercooler etc? Would be extremely tempting if so haha

How are you finding yours Kidz?

Thanks in advance

I have the older dial setting version. This means any adjustments are done bun-clipping the top cover on the Spider Box, easily done but the new version here saves that bit of messing about by using your mobile to adjust to the pre-programmed modes. Also the power.torque gains have gone up from my version. I still standby and say the Spider Box is well worth the it, even my older one at that, so the new version costing what I paid for mine sometime back is good value that can be transferred to another if needed latter. One thing I have not done again is, taking the Spider Box off after realising the difference it made without it fitted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the older dial setting version. This means any adjustments are done bun-clipping the top cover on the Spider Box, easily done but the new version here saves that bit of messing about by using your mobile to adjust to the pre-programmed modes. Also the power.torque gains have gone up from my version. I still standby and say the Spider Box is well worth the it, even my older one at that, so the new version costing what I paid for mine sometime back is good value that can be transferred to another if needed latter. One thing I have not done again is, taking the Spider Box off after realising the difference it made without it fitted.
Just had notification that my spider imode tuning box and free touch screen controller has been posted.

I will let you know how I get on shortly.

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
464 Posts
We have quite a long incline up a B road near us and used this to determine boost readings with terminal speed at set points.
The difference from no tuning box to the new tuning box settings once learnt from the engines sensors surprised us.
The other key observation I and others have noticed is just how much smoother the car drives with the tuning box fitted and mpg wise, well if you decide its lead shoes time, expect as before with no tuning box less mpg's. But overall no sudden big drop in mpg once you've got used to the extra power.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have quite a long incline up a B road near us and used this to determine boost readings with terminal speed at set points.
The difference from no tuning box to the new tuning box settings once learnt from the engines sensors surprised us.
The other key observation I and others have noticed is just how much smoother the car drives with the tuning box fitted and mpg wise, well if you decide its lead shoes time, expect as before with no tuning box less mpg's. But overall no sudden big drop in mpg once you've got used to the extra power.
I presume just leaving the dna in normal with the Spider tuning box, is sufficient for normal daily driving, rather than having to switch to dynamic mode, without the box?
Regards
Andy

O

·
0 Posts
Oooh thanks for the info Cannonball! I am tempted, very
As for the notification Kidz, id be getting all giddy ready haha.

Feedback is a must (after you've managed to enjoy it that is)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm cursing this thread too.

My wife keeps moaning about the lack of power from her 1.7 Hyuandai i40 compared to her old 2.2 Mondeo. If the figures are right, this should get her near the output from the Hyundai and save me some ear-ache every time she decides she can't make an overtake:thumbup:

Oh well, she's got a big birthday coming up later this year.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Haha certainly does transform the car, it's like n mode to D mode, day and night and as mentioned it makes the drive smoother. I told my insurance I was considering it to see what they said if I added it and it was an extra £25 if I remember correctly and then it seems to make no difference to the price when I renewed. On the Fiesta it was an extra £5 haha

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Good to see the forum discount code I sorted with spider a few years ago is still working and going strong :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts