Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as a result of buying a new GQV from them last October, Beechdales invited me to have an hour in a 4C today as part of their promotional weekend.

Not sure how many on here have driven both? I never thought I'd get the chance to drive a 4C, so jumped at the chance.

The engine sounds so different in the 4C, the exhaust makes the car sound so much more guttural than the GQV, and the chirp from the turbo is not anything I've ever heard in my GQV, not matter how hard I drive it.

Equally, the TCT gearbox behaves completely differently in the 4C as a result of the car's lightness. The turbine smooth changes of the GQV at full throttle are replaced by a sharp kick in the back as the smaller lighter car changes up in what feels like half the time that the larger car takes to complete shifts.

However, the car felt very familiar. The paddles and other driver controls were instantly familiar, and when driving my GQV home it suddenly felt much more of a sports car than on the way there; you realise what a fantastic bit of kit that engine/gearbox is.

Sorry for waffling, just wanted to share my experiences of a great great car (the 4C) and it's great sibling (the GQV).

Ps, the audio head unit in the 4C? Just SHOCKING!!! Looks like a cheap Halfords after market unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another thing familiar between the GQV TCT and the 4C is the limited rear visibility. The already high rear window and large C pillars already impede the G's rear vision. Now add these super large sports seats exclusive to the TCT edition of the GQV to the B pillar and vision is impeded there. I find myself having to contort and twist is all sorts of directions if I need to see much past 180 degrees field of vision in my GQV TCT. I believe the 4C vision is similar but from completely different reasons ;).

The LCD computer screen looking dash board on the 4C looks very futuristic, but me being old school prefers the look of physical moving dials.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with you completely, the engine/gearbox combination in the GQV is fantastic. I've owned a number of turbo-charged cars but the 1750 engine is really special. What I like most is the fact that there is virtually no turbo-lag, Alfa is on to something with their scavenging technology. Also the way it keeps pulling after peak power was reached and the way it loves to rev. My GMA, as nice as it was, was nothing like this. It strained over the last 1500 or so while the GQV can't seem to get enough of it. Brilliant!

I agree (a little) about rear visibility but I got use to it. It's not nearly as bad as a Focus ST, that feels like you're sitting inside a postbox.

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
Another thing familiar between the GQV TCT and the 4C is the limited rear visibility. The already high rear window and large C pillars already impede the G's rear vision. Now add these super large sports seats exclusive to the TCT edition of the GQV to the B pillar and vision is impeded there. I find myself having to contort and twist is all sorts of directions if I need to see much past 180 degrees field of vision in my GQV TCT. I believe the 4C vision is similar but from completely different reasons ;).

The LCD computer screen looking dash board on the 4C looks very futuristic, but me being old school prefers the look of physical moving dials.
I find I can judge the size of the Giulietta pretty easily without contortions using the mirrors and looking at the space before parallel parking etc. Do you by any chance have a GQV TCT? Lol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I find I can judge the size of the Giulietta pretty easily without contortions using the mirrors and looking at the space before parallel parking etc. Do you by any chance have a GQV TCT? Lol.
Lol. It is not about judging distance for parkng... It is more about not reversing into pedestrians!

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
That's not allowed!
And that Cloverleaf front seat upgrade loses the armrest. I hate getting into the Giulietta when my wife has used it as she folds it away.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
So, as a result of buying a new GQV from them last October, Beechdales invited me to have an hour in a 4C today as part of their promotional weekend.

Not sure how many on here have driven both? I never thought I'd get the chance to drive a 4C, so jumped at the chance.

The engine sounds so different in the 4C, the exhaust makes the car sound so much more guttural than the GQV, and the chirp from the turbo is not anything I've ever heard in my GQV, not matter how hard I drive it.

Equally, the TCT gearbox behaves completely differently in the 4C as a result of the car's lightness. The turbine smooth changes of the GQV at full throttle are replaced by a sharp kick in the back as the smaller lighter car changes up in what feels like half the time that the larger car takes to complete shifts.

However, the car felt very familiar. The paddles and other driver controls were instantly familiar, and when driving my GQV home it suddenly felt much more of a sports car than on the way there; you realise what a fantastic bit of kit that engine/gearbox is.

Sorry for waffling, just wanted to share my experiences of a great great car (the 4C) and it's great sibling (the GQV).

Ps, the audio head unit in the 4C? Just SHOCKING!!! Looks like a cheap Halfords after market unit.
Oi careful about the stereo!! I was looking at a 4C in WLMG in Reading at the weekend (White with red leather). A perfect match for my G!! (I was praying for the 6 numbers to come on Saturday night so I could pop back and scrub the order for a new Giulietta :thumbup:). BUT the one thing that did strike me was the Alpine head unit. Its the same as the one I fitted in my mini!! It just looks so wrong in the dash layout. :smash:

Julian

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The stereo system in the 4C is irrelevant as you can't hear it above 50 mph, mine has a Parrot system which is slow and complicated. I just don't bother with it !!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How was the steering? Its come in for some criticism
I liked it, good old fashioned rack and pinion I believe? Oh, and no sodding torque steer (my biggest gripe about the GQV).

·
Registered
224 Posts
You do get a left foot rest though !!!
Absolutely love the foot rest in the GQV TCT. It even has the matched metal foot pedal cover.

That's what I'm driving. A late 2015 GQV TCT with the new seats. Not that bad.
Don't get me wrong I love the new seats, just not so much the visibility for both the driver and for rear passengers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts