Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Well after my GTV of many years ago Im back with a 159 2.4 JTDM.
Its an 07 so has a few niggles I want to sort as time goes on. The plastic stip in the roof gutter is not in well any more, the plastic clip that holds the headlight in on one side has been replaced with a cable tie, fog lamp has been smashed, but these of less importance.

On cold mornings the engine is very lumpy, almost sounds like its not firing on all cylnders, its that bad, once its up to temp its just fine.
Would it be reasonable to assume an injector clean would be the best option for this?

I am also familiar with the swirl flap issues of other diesels, the arm often breaking, however on this one they apear to be in place, but there is a metal bracket that looks like its stopping the swirl bar from opening. Assuming the bar lifts to the front, this metal thing is going to be stopping it, is this possible an attempt at blocking the swirl flaps? If it a good idea to block them off, or better to have them as they should be? (pic of the metal bracket below
Fixture Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Bumper

·
Registered
Panda 4x4 TwinAir
3,625 Posts
All the characteristics of clogged intake, its possible that your swirls have been locked open based in that pic, but the best bet is to have them removed and the intake cleaned out.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
If it's drivers side head light unit, I've one you can have for a reasonable offer.

·
Registered
Brera '08 JTDM SV
267 Posts
Yes, sounds very much like a mucky manifold. Worth a good blast down the motorway, often clears the problem, at least temporarily. That metal bit doesn't look original and is probably holding the swirl flaps following disconnection of the motor (back of the engine). Pop it off, spray some WD on the flaps, they should move by hand. I would have the egr off to clean and check, and fit a restrictor type blank (the one with three smaller holes), also clean the "throttle body" which is right next door. This will help prevent the problem getting worse, but won't cure it completely. They don't like tick over or heavy traffic so if you do that sort of driving, an oil catch tank helps as well.

But you may have to consider removing the inlet manifold, cleaning and De flapping, not a fun job.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Rather easy to check, is the condition of the glowplugs. That can also cause a rough start en first few minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts