Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car in to Gerry a few weeks ago as it was making a few funny noises going up through the gears.
He thought it may be a power steering whine as the fluid was low. Topped it up, but the next day the noise was back.
Brought it in for a closer inspection and it turns out that something happened to the gearbox and there is a hole in the casing and the gears are FUBAR.

Gerry is going to see if he can source a 2nd hand replacement and I'm waiting for a quote from him but either way the fix ain't going to be cheap.

The really bad news is that it doesn't really make economical sense to fix it given its current value and it can't possibly come at a worse time for me financially as I am getting married in March and we are saving every last cent for it.

Furthermore the plan was always for both of us to trade in our cars for something more practical. I was holding out for something like a Giulietta and she was going to get something smaller like a Fiesta. But with this latest development and with the finances being the way they are I may have to get the smaller car now as I need something to get to work.

If the quote comes back from Gerry and it is beyond what I am willing to pay I will unfortunately have to sell her for next to nothing as that is what she us worth.

Obviously I'd love for her to stay within the family here and whomever may end up with it, once the gearbox is fixed will end up with a great car.
It has just had a t belt service and 2 new toyo proxies within the last 6 months. Within the last year its also had a new exhaust. The suspension and alternator has been done also. All work has been carried out by TI Autos.
If anyone wants any more details please let me know.

Sorry for the brain dump and sorry for being so quiet recently but I really am not taking this very well!

·
Administrator
87,331 Posts
That's a real pity Gav especially as you've put so much into it :(

Hopefully Gerry will have some good news for you & that the quote will come in cheaper than you expect.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Jesus that's a **** one.
Would a gearbox from a 156 twin spark do it?
There's a few gtv's being broken at the moment that may still have the box in it.
If it's just had the belt etc. I'd say it'd be worth doing the box.

Also economically viable? What alfa ever is:D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Surely you could source a recon box from the UK? The way I look at it Gav. You have had that car so long that it holds sentimental value for you. There isn't much point in selling it for next to nothing.

If you were to look into the economic value of fixing Alfas you would never do anything to them. Think long and hard before jumping the gun. Trust me. I still pine after my DC5 and would buy it back in the morning if I could.

·
Registered
314 Posts
P1 gtv being broken in dunboyne in meath. I put the details up only last week in the for sale thread. He had the gearbox there too.

·
Administrator
87,331 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gav, but, as said above, think long and hard about giving in - better the devil you know and all that, you know that car inside out so if spending a few quid on the gearbox is what it takes it might be worth doing it. The alternative is buying an unknown quantity that may need work done on it anyway?

If it's any help, I was planning on putting the Spider off road from end of December until spring, but if you want a loan of her to tide you over for a bit I'd be happy to let you have her - as a loan! You'll have to give her back!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Id sit down gav and do the sums when Gerry gets back to you. If its had loads of work done recently you'd be better of keeping me thinks
If it was the other way around and the belt was due to be done as well, Id be considering selling then.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gav, but, as said above, think long and hard about giving in - better the devil you know and all that, you know that car inside out so if spending a few quid on the gearbox is what it takes it might be worth doing it. The alternative is buying an unknown quantity that may need work done on it anyway?

If it's any help, I was planning on putting the Spider off road from end of December until spring, but if you want a loan of her to tide you over for a bit I'd be happy to let you have her - as a loan! You'll have to give her back!
That is about the soundest thing I have ever read on a car forum. Fair play Cibo. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
That is about the soundest thing I have ever read on a car forum. Fair play Cibo. :thumbs:
+1
Gav-don't make any rash decisions... And sorry to hear it....

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
If you can arrange transport from Co.Antrim i have a P1 gearbox sitting in my garage taken out from a 1997 GTV and i will give it with a guarantee, you can have it for the price of a crate of beer and a couple-a-bottles of wine. The issue you face though is installing it and i would suggest doing it yourself as its not as difficult as you might think as you do not need to remove the engine just the body mount and 4 engine screws and remove gearselector rods and a few other bits and bobs and bob should be your uncle. If you fancy the idea drop me a pm.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You know Gav, he will probably look after it even better than me and, if I am lucky, he might even wax it before giving it back!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
If you can arrange transport from Co.Antrim i have a P1 gearbox sitting in my garage taken out from a 1997 GTV and i will give it with a guarantee, you can have it for the price of a crate of beer and a couple-a-bottles of wine. The issue you face though is installing it and i would suggest doing it yourself as its not as difficult as you might think as you do not need to remove the engine just the body mount and 4 engine screws and remove gearselector rods and a few other bits and bobs and bob should be your uncle. If you fancy the idea drop me a pm.
Gav I might be able to help with transport if this is an option for you. I have to go up that direction with work next week and could take a detour.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts

Gav I might be able to help with transport if this is an option for you. I have to go up that direction with work next week and could take a detour.

True gents :thumbs:

Gav, as Rory said, don't rush into any decisions yet. That GTV is special and you will regret selling it.

I am working 9-5 mon-fri, but if you want to take a trip during the weekends for parts or whatever, give me a shout :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The awkward moment a week later that your gearbox ****s itself.
Very sound of you though:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The awkward moment a week later that your gearbox ****s itself.
Very sound of you though:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 118 Posts