Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new bits and wondering how hard it would be to fit them myself? :rolleyes: I'm pretty good at unbolting things and putting back on if I put my mind to it, but do I need any special tools? How about pushing the caliper pistons back in to allow for fitting the new (thicker) pads? Any tips like copper-easing also gratefully received. How long should it take? Shall I bite the bullet and just spend £50 at my local garage? ;)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
its easy, but for 50£ I would be even tempted to save the hassle and 1-2 hours work

anyway for how to check out my crib sheet here!

http://www.mikeruss.dircon.co.uk/CribSheet.doc

Note whomever does the pads needs a 7mm hex socket (rare, you may have to buy one/you can get a draper 'brake tool' for this but you cant attached a torque wrench)/make one from cutting(angle grinder) a 7 mm hex key - or i used a torx bit cant remember the size but T40 i think, worked a treat!)

The front calliper pistons just push back in (brace feet on hub and pull calliper towards you -take lid off brake fluid resevoir first, watch it doesn't overflow - syringe some out if needed!!), the rears need the special tool and to turn and push - (see crib sheet again)

·
Administrator
46,377 Posts
I fitted new pads and discs to my 145 cloverleaf, and I'm bloody hopeless.
Get some copper grease to smear on the backs of the pads, makes them less prone to squealing.
Can't think of any special tools you'll need, everything is just bolts if I remember rightly.
If you have any vice-clamp thingies (dunno what they're called), they're great for pressing the pistons back in.
Oh - one last tip, dunno if this is likely on the 156, but I know it can happen on the 145 (did to me) - The disc is basically held on by the wheel nuts when it's all together, but with the wheel off there are just two little locator nuts. These break. They're too soft. If they do, don't worry, as long as the head is off, the dosc will still just slide off (if it won't come, prob just rusted into place, give it a smack)
When I did it, I didn't know this, so I panicked and drilled the locator bolts out, which was both un-necessary and meant I didn't have the bolt stub left to rest the disc on, so if you take the wheel off my car the spacer falls on the floor :eek:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
bazza said:
When I did it, I didn't know this, so I panicked and drilled the locator bolts out, which was both un-necessary and meant I didn't have the bolt stub left to rest the disc on, so if you take the wheel off my car the spacer falls on the floor :eek:
Ha ha, sounds familiar :)

Incidentally, you can get away without the special tool for the rear pistons by using mole grips if you're really careful not to catch the seals :eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bl**dy pillocks have only gone and sent me discs with 4 holes in, haven't they?! Grrrr! :eek: :mad: The 156 of course has 5 wheel bolts, not 4. :rolleyes: They are the correct diameter (284mm) and look about right otherwise, I suspect they have sent me discs for a late 155 (which was my last car). They had 284's as well, didn't they? Academic really. they might as well be made of chocolate! :rant:

·
Administrator
46,377 Posts
mave said:
Ha ha, sounds familiar :)

Incidentally, you can get away without the special tool for the rear pistons by using mole grips if you're really careful not to catch the seals :eek:
You done that too?
I actually feel a bit better about it now :D
I thought the bolts must be threaded into the discs too, since I couldn't get the discs to move. Should have realised I just needed a good hefty application of everyone's friend: the hammer :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, thanks all for your helpful comments as ever ;) I'm just so p*ssed off that they sent me the wrong bits! :rolleyes: If and when they manage to send the right ones, I shall be putting all that advice into practice :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts