Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting to get outstanding jobs done, rear wheel bearing replaced and its nice to have silence, handbrake cable renewed and it was easier than expected. I now have one thing left to sort, the noise, cant decide what it is am baffled, only seems to happen 1St 2ND sometimes 3RD gear and seems to start at around 1800 revs and seems to continue until you press the clutch to change gear. 4th 5th or 6th gear do not seem to get the noise even at specified revs, sounds a bit like the backing plate of a disk brake catching but that would happen all the time in every gear, cars is on 74000 miles with original clutch so wondered if it maybe some part of clutch wearing does not squeal like a dry bearing. Also wondered if it could be something like egr operating and i'm hearing air moving, top and bottom turbo hoses are brand new and have replaced small bore vacuum pipes, also been underneath looking for somewhere thats catching but no luck.

Any ideas welcome, does not affect driveability but i just need to know what it is.

Also forgot to mention it does not make the noise if you just rev the car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a think about it and cant see it being thrust bearing because that should give the noise when clutch pressed and this goes away when clutch pressed, you would also get it in neutral with clutch pressed and i get no noise when stationery clutch in or out or in gear or not.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It's not easy to diagnose a noise over the internet lol... Could you describe with more detail what it sounds like, the direction it's coming from, etc , just to make it a bit easier.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its strange sounds like the disk brake backing plate catching the disk or a stone stuck between disk and pads and its seems to be coming from front left from drivers seat, but have had the wheel of and cant see anything.
I'm starting to think its wear on the clutch or dmf given the 74000 mileage

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sort of more like a catching rubbing sound, think i may have to revert to the age old tradition and wait until something drops off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts