Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a driving trip through Europe soon and have a google map route planned but chances are, the satnav wont choose that route and ill have to deviate from it and follow the printed out google map. Is there a way to put a map created on google (or alike) onto your satnav for it to follow? I have a new Garmin europe thing.

Cheers

Jay

S

·
0 Posts
I am going on a driving trip through Europe soon and have a google map route planned but chances are, the satnav wont choose that route and ill have to deviate from it and follow the printed out google map. Is there a way to put a map created on google (or alike) onto your satnav for it to follow? I have a new Garmin europe thing.

Cheers

Jay
Yes there is Jay :thumbs:

Use a program called itn.converter fella.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Reading that post Smallville, would suggest this is not compatible with Garmin?

"It is a utility to convert a route contained in a file Express Highway, MapPoint or MapSource towards an useful file by TomTom 3, 5 and 6, TomTom Go, One and Rider, Navigon MN | 4, 5, 6 and 7, Destinator PN, Google Earth or GPX CartoExploreur. Possible routes of TomTom split into several files, with choices of the number of steps.
ITNConv now a publisher in advance, allowing the address search and route planning with several stages."

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the list of files you want to convert it to in ITN converter, it lists garmin and garmin nuvi satnav so it shoud...

S

·
0 Posts
Oh thats a shame then :(

I dont know what else you can do James, good luck anyway :thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
In the list of files you want to convert it to in ITN converter, it lists garmin and garmin nuvi satnav so it shoud...
Oh in that case, when you plug it to your PC, does Garmin come under a seperate drive in windows??

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it does, you can open the drive to view the folders on the satnav but those folder names arnt the same as the user interface names on the satnav so i have no idea where i need to put the file or where i would find it on the unit.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didnt do it myself but my gf did it. So I cant help with that, she just pressed a few buttons and worked it out, so she tells me.

I think im getting somewhere, I posted on a GPS forum and my reply is:

I do not believe the 250 supports pre-planned routes.

If it did, you would need to import the gpx file to MapSource or RoadTrip, probably do some editing because small differences in maps can make big routing changes, and then transfer it to your GPS.

See the following topic for details:

GpsPasSion Forums - [GUIDE] Working with programmed multi-point routes
I will trying this at home later, it would be annoying if it didnt do this as then the satnav can only be a backup (still very handy though)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts