Alfa Romeo Forum banner

321 - 340 of 372 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Well he should have checked before he paid for the tyres and asked the right questions before driving home I would think!

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Yeah apparently guy went and checked this morning. Thought he had Michelin ps4s all round and Ats have fitted ps4s at front and michelin pilot supersports at the rear. He's not happy as thry told him all the tyres were the same.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Oh dear. One should never ever trust a tyrefitters words or work.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Ats were very good on mine when the GY SS were fitted but I bought the tyres. I am quite happy with the F1SS in this incessant wet weather. When I drove in Dynamic a bit hard the turn in was still great, any slight loss of traction was easily managed by the TV diff and ESC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just about to make the decision to change the Corsas for the Goodyear F1 Supersports... Have no confidence in the Corsas when its cold and wet! Can get a full set for £694 fully fitted as well which seems very reasonable... Doesn't seem to be much in it between these and the MPS4 and definitely prefer the original OEM sizes on the rear. Any final thoughts or observations before I take the plunge?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just about to make the decision to change the Corsas for the Goodyear F1 Supersports... Have no confidence in the Corsas when its cold and wet! Can get a full set for £694 fully fitted as well which seems very reasonable... Doesn't seem to be much in it between these and the MPS4 and definitely prefer the original OEM sizes on the rear. Any final thoughts or observations before I take the plunge?
Nope. Go for it. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I've now done almost 5000 miles on the Goodyears since June and I'm very pleased with the choice.
Better than the Corsas in almost all circumstances and much longer lasting, if the treadwear indicators are to be believed.
I would have gone for the Michelins, if they were available in the nominal size for the rear, but I attach importance to using the 'right' size.

Reactions: Writetomab

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went the Goodyears, mainly due to the correct sizing (and I'm not a fan of the bulging 295 look, plus some do complain of rubbing; knowing my luck, I'd also be one of them). Had the Michelin's been available in 285's, I would have defaulted to them as I've had them on a previous car and they were great. Having said that, in the short period I've had the Goodyears on, they've really exceeded all expectations. Zero skipping, even in the wet, and the rear grip is unbelievable. In the early stages of ownership, I'd actually say I now prefer the Goodyear tyres compared to the PS4 S.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fantastic... thanks for all the feedback... ordered the new boots last night and having them fitted on Friday am. Will give my feedback on them in due course. Very much looking forward to the 'zero skipping" as mine has been terrible... particularly now when its cold and wet!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
@m&ms , I agree about the looks and grip. In the cold any less than 9 deg C the tyre skipping is quite pronounced. It does not bother me as I know it is due to the geometry. The grip from cold this morning with 6 deg C and roads being damps was quite good. No loss of traction driving sensibly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone with a track experience with the GY Supersports? I haven't driven any other tyre but Pirrelli Corsa on the Giulia so wondering what to expect next month

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Fantastic... thanks for all the feedback... ordered the new boots last night and having them fitted on Friday am. Will give my feedback on them in due course. Very much looking forward to the 'zero skipping" as mine has been terrible... particularly now when its cold and wet!
Sorry - only just seen this. I've had both and the MPS4Ss are better in the winter than the GYs. Also, zero skipping on MPS4Ss at any temperature and plenty of skipping on the GYs under 8 degrees on most surfaces. As you point out, getting GYs in the correct size for the rear is a consideration worth...... well, considering.

One thing for certain though, the GYs will be 100% better than the Corsas in sub 10 degree temperatures. Hope you get on with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now I’ve had chance to drive a bit in the cold and wet, I can can confirm I’m quite happy with my QF on old style P Zeros. The ride is compliant, noise about the same as Corsas, and the drive is as dynamic as ever....turn in may not be quite as sharp but I don’t see much difference. The is no skippy in the cold. They also come in the right size. Someone on this forum said that, given the steering and suspension set up of the QF, any reasonable tyre would perform well. I believe that is true.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Okay, now I noticed something interesting in the UK quadrifoglio owners supliment.

Says tyres in snow for the rear can be 265/35/19.

Michelin make the ps4s in that size. .

So I'm thinking out of the box a bit here because of that quad owner I mentioned with ps4s at the front and michelin pilot super sports at the rear. How about running that combo during the summer and switching to the 265/35/19 ps4s rear for winter.

But this narrower tyre on the rear got me thinking. Could you run a 275/30/19 ps4s all year round at the rear. Doesn't seem like much speedo error.. Would it really be that much of a compromise from the 285/30/19 original quadrifoglio rear tyre size.? See its something MG touched on before but didn't really get discussed for the quad any further when he done the wheel upgrade on his previous car using 275 tyres at the rear on a 10 inch rim

Yeah I know mind running wild. Lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay, now I noticed something interesting in the UK quadrifoglio owners supliment.

Says tyres in snow for the rear can be 265/35/19.

Michelin make the ps4s in that size. .

So I'm thinking out of the box a bit here because of that quad owner I mentioned with ps4s at the front and michelin pilot super sports at the rear. How about running that combo during the summer and switching to the 265/35/19 ps4s rear for winter.

But this narrower tyre on the rear got me thinking. Could you run a 275/30/19 ps4s all year round at the rear. Doesn't seem like much speedo error.. Would it really be that much of a compromise from the 285/30/19 original quadrifoglio rear tyre size.? See its something MG touched on before but didn't really get discussed for the quad any further when he done the wheel upgrade on his previous car using 275 tyres at the rear on a 10 inch rim

Yeah I know mind running wild. Lol

That's a new one on me... never come across that one before. Personally, I prefer to stick to the original and intended OEM sizes. I know a lot of people seem to love the MPS4Ss but from all the research I have done the GYs are just as good and better in wet handling etc. From what I have read a d watched there is very little in it between the two tyres and for the vast majority of people you can barely tell the difference. So my question would be why bother when you can get brilliant tyres in the correct sizes anyway?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ah but it's proven that with the Goodyears you still have skippy. With the ps4s, you don't.

From what I've seen everyone on here says zero skipping on GYs??? But even then... its only on full lock when you are parking and its really wet or cold you get skipping... so is it really a problem??? The Corsas have always done it and whilst its a little annoying its not a major issue... its more the drivability aspect in cold and wet conditions that's the issue with the Corsas, otherwise I wouldn't bother changing them. I'm getting my GYs tomorrow so will let you know if there is still any skipping.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Few facts chaps based on my own experiences.
1. You do get skippy with the GY F1SS anything less than 8 degC. It is not as pronounced as the Corsas perhaps but still quite prominent. It only happens at full lock with cold tyres so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
2. GY wetgrip is slightly worse than the MPS4S but the difference is marginal. I have been driving in Dynamic even in wet weather using paddles to control RPM shifts with no issues or drama.
3. You do get skippy with MPS4S once the tread wears a little and when a bit colder say closer to zero degrees. It is less pronounced than the GY.
4. You can fit the 275/30 section tyre. The speed diff is less than 2% and rolling diameter is nearly same but smaller. The wheel arch gap will increase and make the wheels look a bit smaller. That was ok on my previous Super but I think it will look a bit odd on the Quad. In fact I don't like the standard wheel arch gap and would like to fit either Eibach or ST springs at some point.

·
Registered
371 Posts
OK so stand corrected. There is some skippy with the mp4s then but not to the same degree as other tyres.

Yeah Mg, used that website you linked to in previous posts and see there is a 6mm difference using the 275/30/19 so yeah arch gap would be bigger but could be offset if you lowered the car like I'm going to do. Anyway just thinking out aloud for discussion purposes.

321 - 340 of 372 Posts