Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great. BTW can you just remind us what springs your car is lowered on?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Hi , Eibach Pro .. well I have only done 15 miles on the tyres and it feels transformed ! First thing I noticed was smoothness and tyre noise so much better , it also seems to just dig in now .. the Pirelli’s were not shot either, need some twisty roads next 😊

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah those Goodyears are highly rated. Be interesting if you find any change to the ride comfort.

Thanks for the info on the springs Alan.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Look real good.

Really keen on some feedback after they scrub in, primarily if steering feel is diluted at all vs. the Corsas. I must admit, last week on some high speed, twisty roads (160km worth), I've actually got a new found appreciation for the Pirelli's once warm and in their element!

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Nice one. These are the alternatives to the MPS4S I was looking at. @alannmss where did you get them from? Blackcircles cost about £750 iirc.

I too am very keen to know how they feel both in normal cruising and when pushing it. If you could feed back on road noise, steering feel, handling and ride quality that would be appreciated even if it is initial observations. I went from nearly new Pirellis to MPS4S and I could feel the cold, wet grip was improved from the off. The Good Year SS sidewall is minimalistic and sporty.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice one. These are the alternatives to the MPS4S I was looking at. @alannmss where did you get them from? Blackcircles cost about £750 iirc.

I too am very keen to know how they feel both in normal cruising and when pushing it. If you could feed back on road noise, steering feel, handling and ride quality that would be appreciated even if it is initial observations. I went from nearly new Pirellis to MPS4S and I could feel the cold, wet grip was improved from the off. The Good Year SS sidewall is minimalistic and sporty.
I got mine through a recommended local mobile tyre company and I must say the guy was absolutely spot on , knew the car and was so careful with everything. I had found them on line for £712 through tyresaving.com but would of needed to take the car to one of there fitters, having them fitted by this guy outside work was more personal and easily worth another £26.. couldn’t fault him . Like I said metalgod in my earlier post the first thing I noticed within a few minutes was the reduced road noise and how much smoother it felt , I mean really noticeable ! The whole car sounded different even exhaust note more noticeable , will do my best to report back regarding more performance diving .

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
The GY F1 SS tyres are supposed to have stiffer sidewall compared to MPS4S and others. Only the Pirelli Corsas are stiffer I would think.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We need a QF back to back for these tyres. MG, Alan - I don’t suppose you live near each other??

I’ve been running MPS4Ss and will need to change again in a couple of months. I can’t remember for sure, but think the Michelins were more than £750. That said, I’d expect the MPS4Ss to last longer than the F1SSs.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
We need a QF back to back for these tyres. MG, Alan - I don’t suppose you live near each other??

I’ve been running MPS4Ss and will need to change again in a couple of months. I can’t remember for sure, but think the Michelins were more than £750. That said, I’d expect the MPS4Ss to last longer than the F1SSs.
I am in Kent. Not sure where @alannmss is. The Michelins were £835 I think. Some reviews do say the F1SS wear quicker.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hertfordshire for me , my corsas were at 9k with probably about another 500 left on them . I’m not really an on edge driver which is maybe why I disliked them so much , they probably don’t work as well for me and as for the skippy element I found that almost embarrassing... doing 3 point turns rather than full lock on occasions

·
Registered
207 Posts
I posted this review on the Facebook owners group, may be of interest. Obviously it's all my subjective opinion :)

I have warmed to the tyres since, turn in seems to be improving or I have got used to it, but still find the ride a bit worse and that they are a bit noisier. The Corsa Rears are 73db rated and the Goodyear 75db from memory in European tyre tests.

My attempt at a Tyre Review of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport with comparison to the Pirelli P Zero Corsa AR.
Can be read in a nasal voice if you wish!! .
N.B The Goodyear is not to be confused with the older Eagle F1 Asymetric, this is a new slightly more focussed tyre above that one in the Goodyear lineup.
I’ve now done 300 or so miles with these new tyres fitted to my Quadrifoglio.
Previously I’ve done 34,000 Miles on two sets of P Zero Corsa AR tyres with Michelin Alpin PA4 fitted for 4 months of Winter.
I thought I’d compare my impressions of these compared to the Corsa’s.
Both are the same size and same recommended tyre pressures were used.
My old set of Corsa’s had 2-3mm of tread left on them and I changed them slightly early as I felt they had slightly gone “off”.
Eagle F1 Asymmetric
Pros:
• Outstanding Traction, better than the Pirelli even on a hot day. Much better on a colder or wetter day.
• Huge Levels of Grip
• Competitive pricing, circa £650 a set, the Corsa comes in at circa £960 or more for a set!
• Next to no scrubbing or skipping on full lock.
• More Sure footed and seem to warm up quicker
Cons:
• More fidgety ride (fairly confident this is the case)
• Slightly more road noise
• Turn feel in is not as good.
• Misses the last 5-10% of excitement/interaction compared to the Pirelli.
For me the defining feature of this car has always been the steering.
Unfortunately with the Goodyear I don’t get that lovely feeling that the car is turned in with the front end really keyed into the bend and the car pivoting/darting sharply into the corner. This is most noticeable in Dynamic Mode with Bumpy Road/softer damping engaged; this is the mode I drive in most for fun. Having the car in dynamic and without soft dampener settings seems to get the Goodyear closer to, but still not as good as the Pirelli, but then you get a the stiffer ride which is not so good on a bumpy back road.
So, in conclusion I’m impressed with the Goodyear but I’m missing the magic of the P Zero Corsa. I do really love the traction of the Goodyear though.
If I had to have one set of Tyres all year round I would probably go for the Goodyear (or of course the Michelin) but if you have winter tyres then the Corsa is the one.
I think it really shows that the car was developed with them on; it works so well with the car, providing you don’t take too many liberties if the tyres are cold.
So next time I’ll gulp at the price and order another set of Pirellis.
I was going to order Michelin but after watching a review describing the Goodyear as more “playful” than the Michelin and with the reasonable pricing it was certainly worth trying.
I have a track day booked at the end of the Month, will be interesting to see how the Goodyear’s fare, the Corsa is arguably prone to overheating/heavy wear on track – somewhat ironic given the “Corsa” name.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m confused is this a review / comparison to the F1 super sports or the Asymmetrics ?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
I’m confused is this a review / comparison to the F1 super sports or the Asymmetrics ?
@Multo Bene has labelled it GY Asymmetric in error I think. He appears to be talking about the Super Sports.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry if I confused but this is Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport VS Pirelli P Zero Corsa AR as I said in my post:

What may have confused you is that I mentioned the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric as NOT the same tyre as the Goodyear Eagle F1 super sport in case people thought I was referring to the Eagle F1 Asymetric which I have never had or tested.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Anyone considered the Conti Sportcontact 6 tyres? I don't like the branding and sidewall as much as the Michelin (I am a sucker for looks o_O ) but tyre test reviews put the Contis up there or better than the MPS4S and GY F1SS.

I know Eddie Cain who was on here but has since traded his QV for a Lotus was considering those.

Maybe an idea for next time! I believe they do not come in 285 so like the Michelins would need to be 295.

What's different about the sidewall? Less rim protection maybe?

1 - 20 of 372 Posts