Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ms R and I have got tickets for the Sunday. We’ll be driving down on the Saturday morning and staying at a localish Premier Inn on the Saturday and Sunday nights. We’re nipping down to Brighton on the Monday, staying at a funky B&B called Snooze on the Monday night and heading back up north on the Tuesday afternoon.

Can anyone offer any advice, hints or tips re: our day at the festival and/or our brief visit to Brighton?

What do I need to know about driving to Goodwood on the Sunday morning, what’s the traffic like? Where do I park and how much does it cost, etc?

What are the ‘must see attractions’ once we’re there and what can we afford to miss?

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Last time I went we parked in the grounds, it's a cracking day out and most of the events are round the house and track, the only thing I missed out on was the rally forest area which is supposed to be very good :D

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
You are going for 2 days yes?
Day 1. Do the marching around. See all the side shows, go in the pits and march up to the top and check out the rally stage. Don't even attempt to see the cars go up the hill in any serious way.
Day 2. Get a grandstand ticket and have a leisurely day watching the cars go up the hill. The stand opposite the house is good as that's where the F1 drivers do their donuts and there is a big screen there.
You do need 2 Full Days to get it all in.
Getting in can take a bit of time as the queues form fairly early in both directions on the main road.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're only going for one day, the Sunday.

Grandstand passes are £44 each!

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
We're only going for one day, the Sunday.

Grandstand passes are £44 each!
If you aren't going for 2 days the Grandstand passes don't really work.
Musts.
Go to the top and check out both the hill climb finish and the rally stage.
Try to time the climb to coincide with the Red Arrows or whatever is doing the air display. You get a magnificent view from about three quarters up.
The Pits - you can right up and personal with some serious motors. Arguably the best bit.
Watch the cars from somewhere near the house. You get to see them come out of the pits and go down to the start, then the run up the hill, and then return to the pits.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
If you get to the supercar paddock at the side of the house just before the parade lap you are close enough to touch them as the leave the paddock, Gaz nearly got potted by a Veyron the year we went :lol:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
If they still have it this year, the concourse area is a must. Lots of uber expensive and super rare machinery. There was a 33 Stradale on display in 2010

G

·
0 Posts
As others have said, check out the paddock. You can get right up close to the cars and you can see, hear and smell them start up (if that's your thing). My highlight (from many years of the FoS) was being stood next to an Alfetta 159 while it was started up and moved into the assembly area.

The grandstand passes are worthwhile if expensive because you do get a good view of the action on track. But if you don't want to shell out for that, there is at least one free grandstand opposite the house but you need to get in that fairly early. Best thing is to choose the session or sessions you want to see on the hill and make sure you get a good vantage point for that. Try to be near one of the big screens because you can see the cars when they are out of eyeshot. The rally stage is well worth a visit, it's right at the top of the hill and there is a good open public viewing point on the way up (but it gets crowded). It can be hard to find a good vantage point on the rally stage, so do walk around a bit. But it's well worth a visit - I am not a rally fan but the driving is amazing.

The concours area is between the paddock and the main hill, so you can take that in on your way between the paddock and the hill. Main advice is to plan your day, don't just wander aimlessly around hoping to see stuff. It's very crowded and if you don't plan what you are going to do, you could miss a lot.

PS Get there early. You will queue to get in and the car parks are a fair way from the action. Don't plan to turn up about 10 after a leisurely breakfast......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts