Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my new (to me) 147 from the dealer and he had replaced the pretty worn Uniroyal front tyres with brand new Goodride SV308 215/45 ZR17s (yes I know).

On looking at these brand new tyres I found that the tread depth is around 7mm for the outer part of the tyre but this decreases to only 4.5mm :wow: in the middle section. Has anyone else noticed this poor tread depth on this brand or any other new tyre.

The dealer agreed with the tread depth but said the harder compound in the middle wore more slowly than the edges and the tapering of the tread from the middle outwards was part of the water shedding design :confused:

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Never looked at those, but many tyres have different groove depth on different parts of the tyre and usually the shallow groove areas are designed to run without the groove after a while.
The UK MOT takes that into account.

Usually they are deep in the middle and shallow near the shoulder though...

·
Banned
857 Posts
Never looked at those, but many tyres have different groove depth on different parts of the tyre and usually the shallow groove areas are designed to run without the groove after a while.

Exactly.

Pretty clear from this picture of the aforementioned 'Goodride' (s******).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Cheers DavidC, I have been running standard tyres on a 156 up to now but these are much lower profile. Is this mostly a low profile issue?
You can see the central area I am talking about on the pic.

Just trying to separate the dealer b***s**t from sensible tyre physics.

Thanks davealfa11, I had found that and can't say I was impressed with the reviews. There's a guy on the forum from NZ who from experience reckons they're great tyres though.

L

·
0 Posts
is 7mm not shallow for a new tyre? are you sure they are not used tyres from another vehicle.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Cheers DavidC, I have been running standard tyres on a 156 up to now but these are much lower profile. Is this mostly a low profile issue?
You can see the central area I am talking about on the pic.

Just trying to separate the dealer b***s**t from sensible tyre physics.

Thanks davealfa11, I had found that and can't say I was impressed with the reviews. There's a guy on the forum from NZ who from experience reckons they're great tyres though.
i use to be on a owners site for my zrx1100 motorcycle and owners on there always went on about a certain tyre that they rave about being the dogs danglies :D i met up with them in wales for a ride out and little did i know ......they should have come with side cars :cheese: they wondered what the hell i done to my bike to have such high corner speed:wow:
apart from sorted suspension never mind tuned to hell engine .....i had tyres that suited my riding style :D so what someone says as good dont mean nowt, i choose f1,s for feel on limit and when you pass the limit some have them because there round and get through an MOT and last until side wall cracks and fail MOT:cheese:
SO MY POINT IS drive to your limitations and grip at your disposal otherwise youll kiss that ditch and if you do its your driving and dont blame ya tyres ya car your whatever :thumbs:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NZ is also the land where there exists a place called Middle Earth.

Seriously, get rid of the ditchfinders unless you drive like a proverbial vicar.
Bless you, my son :cheese:

What I'm after is whether this variable tread groove depth, as low as 4.5mm in the middle to 7 or 8mm at the edges, is a common design feature of tyres. I can see this might cause water to be pushed to the edges, but I can't see these tyres lasting long from a wear perspective before the middle section is bald :rolleyes:.

Yokohama have something they call "variable tread depth" but other manufacturers don't mention it. Maybe the Chinese are ahead of the game?

·
Banned
857 Posts
Yokohama have something they call "variable tread depth" but other manufacturers don't mention it. Maybe the Chinese are ahead of the game?
Personally I think that this is marketing bullcrap to make something that has been in their interests sound like it has been for your benefit.

Less tread depth = changed sooner.

Trouble is it'll backfire if the tyre gets a reputation for short life.

C

·
0 Posts
Personally I think that this is marketing bullcrap to make something that has been in their interests sound like it has been for your benefit.

Less tread depth = changed sooner.

Trouble is it'll backfire if the tyre gets a reputation for short life.
Like eagle f1 gsd3's? They grip like hot snot but they don't half wear out quick!

·
Registered
562 Posts
maybe some tires have bigger tread but wear out much more,

I have a Falken ZE 912 on front but i don`t know how much tread they have, but sure is not less then 6-7mm in the middle. On the edges is much less, around 4mm. I hope to last 35.000 km since i am not a "hard" fast corners driver, and my car is 115 hp.

Soon i will have to buy 2 rear, and i am thinking ether to go same, with Falken, or maybie Hankkog S1 or Barum Bravius 2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts