Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Andy, I wouldnt suggest for one moment that a Busso engined car should be used as a daily drive.
I look after loads of them and the most reliable ones are the daily drivers. 100-200 miles a week is ideal.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I have no doubt about that. The OP is talking and the conversation is about any benefits of trading up to a QF from a Veloce. What I suggested is that maybe instead of funding an upgrade, anyone faced with the dilemma might consider buying, as a second car, a classic of some sort and whilst your at it get one with a V6 Busso for its glorious sound and a classic would give you back driver engagement lost on new cars.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
There's plenty of driver engagement with a Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You are right TD. I suspect a lot of QF owners have not driven a Veloce extensively or even as a loaner. When cruising you cannot tell whether you in a Quad or a well spec'd Veloce or even a Super for that matter. It will be interesting to get an opinion of one of the long term Quad owners on this forum to drive a Veloce for a while and see how they judge the car. I still want a V6, same as I still wish I had married Scarlett Johansson :p
A most excellent idea. If anyone wants to lend me their Quad whilst they evaluate my Veloce, feel free to drop me a PM :ROFLMAO:

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
...too high maintenance, a bit like a Quad?! :censored:😁
Would be worth it. When you're old and in your last days, you're not going to look back and think "glad I didn't go there, can you imagine the maintenance?"

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm 70. One reason I did the IAM course at 65 was concern that my skills might be deteriorating. Many pensioners do the full IAM course or the IAM Mature Driver assessment for that reason.
Would be worth it. When you're old and in your last days, you're not going to look back and think "glad I didn't go there, can you imagine the maintenance?"
No, but you might be looking back and thinking FFS, where did that hedge come from. :D

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
No, but you might be looking back and thinking FFS, where did that hedge come from. :D
Just trim the hedge and get on with it ..;)

What have I started.... sorry OP! :censored:

·
Registered
885 Posts
The problem is MG, that once you get one of them there fancy Quad things, you won't want anything to do with us lesser mortals who can only get to sixty in six seconds so who is going to blind us with an avalanche of acronyms the meaning of which we have no clue.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
The problem is MG, that once you get one of them there fancy Quad things, you won't want anything to do with us lesser mortals who can only get to sixty in six seconds so who is going to blind us with an avalanche of acronyms the meaning of which we have no clue.
In that case I would have matured enough to inundated you with the expanded form of the acronyms.

In more news, my boy showed me this as soon as I got home from work.in this month's Top Gear, TG V6 heroes.

20200522_225240.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
MG I have to agree with the OP, there are limited opportunities to exploit the true worth of a OF in this country without going on a circuit, there are just to many cars around and to many speed limits. Yes, you could kill youself in a 1.0 Mito.
I found a great video of a QF. A great demonstration of how it should be driven. Don't bother with advanced driving courses. This is it! :cool: Watch the last 2 minutes especially

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Gulia QF is my first RWD car in a long history of FWDs. Double the power too. Only glitch I've had as of late was "service alert: active aero" which might have been the leafs collecting (i know, shameful). Anyway point being is this might be one of the easiest cars to control/meter I've ever driven. That engine does not dominate the experience but works in beautiful harmony with the rest of the platform. Special indeed.

Edit: glitch disappeared after one power cycle - perhaps low battery related, havent seen stop/start activate in a very long time...

·
Registered
41 Posts
MG I have to agree with the OP, there are limited opportunities to exploit the true worth of a OF in this country without going on a circuit, there are just to many cars around and to many speed limits. Yes, you could kill youself in a 1.0 Mito.
If pedal to the metal is your thing then sure, QF is overkill. But as just mentioned its the beautiful ease of access to that engine's power / metering that means you don't feel all that compelled to experience full throttle all that much. Maybe i'm just odd!

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
the beautiful ease of access to that engine's power / metering that means you don't feel all that compelled to experience full throttle all that much.
Exactly.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I found a great video of a QF. A great demonstration of how it should be driven. Don't bother with advanced driving courses. This is it! :cool: Watch the last 2 minutes especially

If it were real. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
If pedal to the metal is your thing then sure, QF is overkill. But as just mentioned its the beautiful ease of access to that engine's power / metering that means you don't feel all that compelled to experience full throttle all that much. Maybe i'm just odd!
And that is what I'm getting at, its actually an easy drive, as any modern daily drive should be.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
OK let me bamboozle y'all with some technical justification.

Consider Power (HP) and usability i.e. Torque. The QF has the following spec
Power505 hp @ 6,500 rpm
Torque443 lb·ft @ 2,500 – 5,500 rpm

You may not use all the horse power unless you hit 6500 rpm (which by the way you still can by shifting manually in low gear like 4th and still not be doing excessive 'road' speed), but you can certainly use all the torque from 2500rpm onwards which means you accelerate that much quicker, that's it and reach the speed quicker. In addition, the torque is limited in normal DNA modes up to 5th gear. A mode "only" about 350HP and 380 Nm.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts

That, I imagine, is exactly how most of them are driven. Right down to the posing on the high street while blipping the throttle.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts