Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... another Veloce.

Having lived in Audiland for 15+ years I leased a Veloce in April 2018. It was only then that I realised that driving could actually be fun and wasn't just about being in a motorised sofa insulated from the road and world around me. Driving meant something again.

With the lease coming up I decided I could stretch to a new, leased Quadrifoglio. I drooled over its looks, the fabulous sound it makes, the rave reviews etc and was almost ready to take the plunge. Then, in March before Covid madness and before I had signed up to buy one, there was a lovely, dry evening. I went out and drove my soon-to-be-handed-back Veloce. Most enjoyable it was too, pushed it hard, relished the corners.

Then I realised that this car was enough for me and ordered another Veloce. I've not had an accident in 20+ years but I suddenly realised that a QF would mean me either (a) ending up in A&E, prison or the cemetary or (b) driving around slowly scared of ending up in a field. Doing some reading up on this tends to make me think I made the right decision. While the QF is, by all accounts, a beautiful powerful motor it would be simply too fast for someone of my driving abilities. I would rarely get to use it to anywhere near its full capabilities.

So, was this a sensible, grown-up decision or a pathetic midlife cop-out?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have drawn the very same conclusions that you ponder Fastcards. The Veloce is all the car I need/can handle and the fact that the county I live in virtually has a county wide 50 mph speed limit would render a QV little more than a pose mobile.
Wouldn't mind a QV Tonale though. :)

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
I don't mean no disrespect but................it is not all about speed or pushing the ability envelope to enjoy the car. It is an age old argument that will not be settled. The premise that you will end up in prison or dead just because you own a performance car is a bit flawed. You could do the same by pushing any car beyond what is safe for the road conditions and your ability. The Veloce is also a pose mobile in that respect. The Veloce is a great car and shares a lot of the DNA so you already know how to drive well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a head/heart thing isn't it. I have been looking at QVs for the past 2 days and hovering around doing something about it to the point of driving myself mad. Seen a gorgeous Trofeo one for a tempting price...

...then I took the Veloce out and realised it is damn fast enough, for the times you actually dare put your foot down. So as of now I have decided to keep my Veloce, but I can't tell you what I will be thinking in 10 minutes' time...

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
MG I have to agree with the OP, there are limited opportunities to exploit the true worth of a OF in this country without going on a circuit, there are just to many cars around and to many speed limits. Yes, you could kill youself in a 1.0 Mito.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I always thought that I would need “more” after a couple of years owning the Veloce, then I realise, it has everything I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
So, was this a sensible, grown-up decision or a pathetic midlife cop-out?
If you did an advanced driving course, you'd be able to feel safe and get full enjoyment from a Quadrifoglio. I got my Quadrifoglio after 20+ years in FWD cars and never had anything more than 250bhp. I felt obliged to take steps to improve my driving skills when I ordered the Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you did an advanced driving course, you'd be able to feel safe and get full enjoyment from a Quadrifoglio. I got my Quadrifoglio after 20+ years in FWD cars and never had anything more than 250bhp. I felt obliged to take steps to improve my driving skills when I ordered the Quadrifoglio.
Andy, do you mind me asking what course you did? And did it make much of a dent in your insurance premium? I was thinking of doing the same thing, together with perhaps one of the Alfa courses in Italy.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
I have done advanced rider training on motorbikes which does help me with driving a car. I have owned several performance motorbikes most recent of which was a Ducati Panigale and that thing is a monster. After having read all about what a handful the Quad is and how you can get it wrong and it was going to spit me in a ditch, I test drove one extensively with freedom. It was an anti-climax, it was poised, well controlled and easy to modulate even putting the power down. The thrill with performance cars is all about the initial acceleration and engine feel, sound. Once the speed is built all cars are equal (well kind of).

For example: Power to weight Ratio.
Ducati = 0.452 hp/lb or 743 W/kg.
Quad = 0.15 hp/lb or 247 W/kg

The Ducati had 3 times more power and even that was quite fine on the roads unless you act stupid. The Quad is expensive and perhaps unnecessary, but so is a Veloce. It all depends on what you want from your car driving experience. The numbers ultimately do not mean much and only serve for bragging rights.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I think a lot of driving pleasure is lost these days in the 'comfort' our cars give us. MG sums it up well when he says "Once the speed is built all cars are equal (well kind of)." I can well imagine, indeed the sound of a V6 in the Giulia, but then is the on road feel going to be a lot different to a Veloce?

What is missing that I believe you are trying to get back is the driver engagement which is lost on modern cars, I guess MG gets that more from his bike than from his car. Look at the desire to get that engagement another way, buy a classic for the weekend! No power steering, no ABS or other 'driver aids' and with the right car a car that gives you plenty of driver engagement, believe me!

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
You are right TD. I suspect a lot of QF owners have not driven a Veloce extensively or even as a loaner. When cruising you cannot tell whether you in a Quad or a well spec'd Veloce or even a Super for that matter. It will be interesting to get an opinion of one of the long term Quad owners on this forum to drive a Veloce for a while and see how they judge the car. I still want a V6, same as I still wish I had married Scarlett Johansson :p

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Andy, do you mind me asking what course you did? And did it make much of a dent in your insurance premium? I was thinking of doing the same thing, together with perhaps one of the Alfa courses in Italy.
Over the years I've done 3 specific things:
I did the one day course at Andrea de Adamich's il Centro Internazionale Guida near Parma heavily promoted by Alfa Romeo. I guess that's the one you are referring to? Principally on a circuit, including in a 4C.
I passed the IAM RoadSmart Advanced Driving course and later became an observer. The main thing I learnt from is that under most circumstances the speed you can safely do round corners is dictated how far you can see (ie Limit Point of Vision) and not the grip of the tyres. Despite IAM RoadSmart's claims I've never found any insurance premium savings from IAM membership. I've got both cars insured with NFU at the moment.
Finally, as a direct result of getting the Quadrifoglio, I did the High Performance Course. That was mainly on the road in two day long sessions separated by a few weeks with some coaching with a mentor in between. It included some time on the track at Bruntingthorpe in the Quadrifoglio which gave opportunity to understand its handling limits.
I suggest you PM me if you'd like more details.
Andy

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
You only live once... I would say you should at least go and have a drive in a Quadrifoglio, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
V6 sound? you need a Busso!

or even

PS, the 84 GTV 6 is only likely to go up in value, the 916 will eventually.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It's nothing to do with technical ability or training that concerns me Andy, it is purely reaction times. At 50 years of age reaction times start to slow down noticeably. At 69, like me, D in a Veloce gives me the effect of the stars flashing by as the USS Enterprise engages warp drive.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
... At 69, like me. ...
I'm 70. One reason I did the IAM course at 65 was concern that my skills might be deteriorating. Many pensioners do the full IAM course or the IAM Mature Driver assessment for that reason.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
V6 sound? you need a Busso!
Modern Turbo cars whether V6 or otherwise sound rather boring.
A Quadrifoglio even in Race is no match for a Busso, agreed.
If sound was all that mattered to me, I'd still be driving the 156 GTA.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Andy, I wouldnt suggest for one moment that a Busso engined car should be used as a daily drive.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
my 156 GTA was a daily drive for 13 years

1 - 20 of 67 Posts