Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both myself and my wife were recently made redundant from the same organisation. She has got a new job 10 mins walk away in the local town and I have just got another job in the city centre which will necessitate a commute by train.

Sounds like great news (which it is) but one cloud on the horizon is the dilemma as to which car to sell, as we both used to complete 50 mile round trips every day. Now with the prospect of just a couple of miles a day round the local area I can't see 2 Diesels both with DPFs reacting well.

If I use my head to make the call, we should sell the Alfa (its a 2011 Ti SW 170jtdm in Stromboli Grey with roof bars ) as its 3 years older, much slower, averages 15 mpg less and has done 64k miles compared to the 20k on the BMW.

However, I dont look back at the BMW everytime I walk away from parking up like I do with the Alfa, and although the pure performance numbers of the BMW put the Alfa in the shade, it really doesnt move me like the Alfa.

The amount of time Ive wasted wrestling with this is not healthy:thinking::thinking::thinking:

·
Registered
39,564 Posts
Totally understandable heart-versus-head fleet decision. I've even thought it'd be nice to get a Toyota IQ to replace all our cars as my wife expects to be priced out of workplace parking soon. Plus she's gone off diesels because of the health guilt. There are better permutations. Keep the 159 . You know it makes sense. Or get a Benzina.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Get rid of the car that's got the most to lose in terms of value?

Or sell both and buy a petrol version of whichever marque you prefer?

Guy

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have to be honest that my wife mentioned the possibility of a petrol Brera (as we both have the raging Alfa Virus) and with such limited mileage going forward, a V6 is a tempting prospect. Although the reliability of the 159 has been nothing short of excellent needing just a new exhaust (replaced with a custom made stainless steel system ) and a new battery in the 3 years and 35000 miles since we bought it, I'm not sure the same would be true of a V6 Brera. Advice based on experience re this from V6 Brera owners would be welcome

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
V6 Brera or V6 159 - FTW :classic:
I never really thought about a V6 159 and have always loved the Brera.

I guess the relaibility should be any different between the 159 and Brera, big question is whether the V6 is reliable?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Like some one said. If you are going to keep one keep the one that will loose the least value. I would guess that would be the alfa as it already lost all its value?. The next question is if you want a diesel or not. A tbi is a very sweet engine. It does not have the sound of the V6 but its very nice. It runs like a perfect diesel. Pulls from nothing. But it does not die at 4000 and does not make a bad diesel noise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I dont think I could go for the Guilia. I know this is heresy to say this on the Alfa forum, but the front of the Guilia just doesnt do it form me and is a major step backwards from the 159 in terms of looks. I remember a few years back the president of Fiat scrapping the new design for the Guilia saying its wasn't Alfa enough and they started again. Not sure what happened as it looks more Germanic than ever. The reason I have this problem now is that the 159 gives something no German car ever has.

I do want a petrol as most journies will be just a couple of miles into the town centre. I'm wrestling with the dilemma that when driving the Alfa it feels special in some way that I cant put my finger on ( I guess the reason why we all own one)

The BMW is much more clinical, but regularly does over 50mpg and for a Diesel is ballistic reaching 60 in 6.4 second but feels even faster

The TBi may well be the solution

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,636 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I dont think I could go for the Guilia. I know this is heresy to say this on the Alfa forum, but the front of the Guilia just doesnt do it form me and is a major step backwards from the 159 in terms of looks. I remember a few years back the president of Fiat scrapping the new design for the Guilia saying its wasn't Alfa enough and they started again. Not sure what happened as it looks more Germanic than ever. The reason I have this problem now is that the 159 gives something no German car ever has.
Have to say that I do agree with you about the Giulia - but from the side view for me. The front and rear do give it a certain distinction.
But overall I just don't find it exciting in the way an Alfa should be, quite bland in fact, and yes 'Germanic'.
Then again if they made it too attractive FCA would potentially lose sales of the pricier and more exotic Maserati Ghibli...

Maybe a good-spec petrol-Giulietta could be the answer as a city runaround/shopping trolley.

·
Registered
39,564 Posts
On the Giulia , I'd reserve my judgement for seeing a real car. It's the proportion that will probably convince you versus the fwd 159. It's a striking version of the cabin-backwards BMW. The rounded forms of the Giulia avoid it looking like a BMW which has itself gone edgy like a 159.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Have to say that I do agree with you about the Giulia - but from the side view for me. The front and rear do give it a certain distinction.
But overall I just don't find it exciting in the way an Alfa should be, quite bland in fact, and yes 'Germanic'.
Then again if they made it too attractive FCA would potentially lose sales of the pricier and more exotic Maserati Ghibli...

Maybe a good-spec petrol-Giulietta could be the answer as a city runaround/shopping trolley.
Have you seen one in the flesh ?

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,636 Posts
Have you seen one in the flesh ?
Probably more chance of seeing one in the metal I'd expect :wink:

I've seen enough videos from all angles, perspectives and in different ligting conditions to make my own personal judgement. And as a design professional I do trust my own eyes!

I appreciate some of you like it - it's an Alfa forum for crying out loud. I just find it too bland for an Alfa, but an Alfa it is. Though the rump does look great and the front fine IMHO.

I was down to have a test drive in one on the 19th at Blackburn Alfa, but I have something else booked that day. They gave rather short notice in the end.
I'd no intention of buying one, was just going there for the jolly, so no big loss.

There's still talk of a coupe and Spider, but not until around 2020 at the earliest. That should be a bit more exciting, but time will tell.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I always reserve full judgement till i see it with my eyes but can see a more conformist design which i don't like to see on an Alfa.

I hope to test drive shortly so will make my final assessment then.

Still for me stands out enough from the usual German dullness filling our roads.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
went to geneva to see it and loved it. it's a bit more european than previous alfas but i suppose if you're trying to poach audi drivers for your brand, you gotta appeal to them.

·
Registered
39,564 Posts
You could almost cut yourself cleaning an Audi nowadays whereas the Alfa is a bit more sensuous. Just because they can press pointy cars doesn't mean you have to do it!

·
Registered
13,744 Posts
Little Off Topic

I saw them in Italy earlier this year on the road but that meant from a the front only mostly.
I saw a Giulia on Sunday. They had a tractor LHD car on the AROC stand at the NEC.

I love it, the dash, the materials used and the general fit and finish. I think when the 159 is due for replacement I will be very interested in a pauper's 2.0 petrol version.

The thing that most struck me was on outside how small it looked. It did have the boot up because the battery was flat (I think that was why) so maybe viewing it from the driver's door gave that impression. Anyway what did surprise me is that it looked nothing like the lesser BMW 5 series that everyone seems to say.

To answer the OP's question, I would not bother about what is worth more or what will lose the most because here's the thing. They will both lose money and you've already spent it buying them, so keep the one that you both like and is suitable.

However if you fancy a change then there are plenty of cars out there. I could not choose a single one for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts