Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Goodbye old friend

5K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Isotope 
#1 · (Edited)
Just to let everyone on here know that I am trading in my beloved Giulietta with Motorvogue in Kings Lynn. Its a bloody good reliable car, I've done all the minor services myself and last year it had the cambelt, water pump and alternator changed by professionals with bills to prove them. It has a massive history of bills to prove what has been spent on it, it will have about 92k on the clock when they get it. Hopefully they will offer it for sale rather than push it into the auctions. Its a 2.0jtdm2 170bhp car. Look out for WP60 RVE in the ads, I really would hope someone on here might be the next owner, it's a proper flying machine! This car has been loved but driven like I stole it!

#3 ·
Well you are kind of right, we have had a Giulia for a few months now and its needed some warranty work, Motorvogue have lent us a Fiat 500x and I'm trading in the Guilietta to buy the loan car for the wife, its quite a nice place to be and the performance is quite impressive for a 1.3 engine!!

#4 ·
I was reading then when manufactures do recalls, it's a good opportunity to get a customer trying a new model, hence a possible sale.

Quite new to be able to try a car for a day or two and then able to decide to buy it, also one that has be used a bit.

Does the 500x share some of the Giulietta switch gear? I think the heating and a/c controls used to bit the same and the infotainment screen.

#5 ·
Hi, yes the aircon controls are exactly the same but I think nearly all FCA cars have the same controls, the infotainment is probably the same as the newer Giulietta's, touchscreen, sat nav and apple carplay but my one is 1st generation model.

#11 ·
If the dealer apologises for the loan car to your face that lets me know they are not even trying to manage your expectations. I often think about Maserati owners who ended up with a blue Mito? Maybe we are just getting old but the ride height of the 500x is really easy to get into, gizmos are brilliant for the price, and I'm sure a newer Stelvio is similar if not better but we have also already invested in a Giulia. I would never expect any other marque to go round a corner for the price but imho I can do nearly the same speeds in the 500x as my bella Giulietta!. It's the wife's car anyway and she will just go from A to B. The cars even got adaptive cruise control, I'll be the only one to use it!!

#12 ·
When you take a Giulia or Stelvio in for a service , I was told, you’re supposed to get a Giulia or a Stelvio. The Giulia I was supposed to get was still out with a customer so they apologised. The 500X is good because I’m not a fan of sitting on the floor which is why I went for a Stelvio and used to have the seat in my Giuliettas relatively high up. My wife still misses her Multipla for sitting at a sensible height!

#16 ·
Funny how perceptions differ. I freaking hate that high up position, feels so exposed, unstable, unsafe... I can feel them fighting physics every time they go around a corner without completely tipping over. Low (normal...) cars may only feel vulnerable because of the bloody arms race to drive the biggest tonka truck around the suburbs...

Dumb design, compromised engineering. The Stelvio is terrible thing to do to a nicely balanced and dynamically decent Guilia :(

#13 ·
Hi Cue2 that's where I have to agree with you I was expecting another Giulia as a loan car, and I know what you mean about sitting on the floor, the Giulia is surprisingly low. Trouble is I don't think Alfa have sold enough cars in the UK to create the kind of pool of loaners that other marques would naturally create. So being elderly duffers the 500x is a nice alternative and then I get to go out in the Giulia on my own! Just testing my eyesight as per government advice!

#14 ·
I think it was partly because it’s the dealer where I bought the Stelvio new and they’d said it’d be a Giulia when I booked. I don’t mind trying a cheaper car as a loaner because it makes a change anyway and it’s less precious, not that I’m careless. However , a new fuel flap was ordered at service and a new tailgate closing button , to be fitted when they arrived. On the follow up to fit them on warranty I did get a Giulia described by the reception guy as having had a hard life. The wheels were seriously scuffed but it was fine.

#15 ·
Sadly my Giulia also has scuffed wheels but it has had a very nice easy life, 11,000 miles in 3 years, ruined when we went to Le Mans and they've done a similar thing like in Castle Boulevard in Nottingham, there's a kerb in the middle of the road for the lycra boys. You're looking at signs for hotels etc and bang, thats a scuffed wheel before you even know what's in the middle of the road. Gutted for my car as it was perfect before that trip. Pop the speedo into KM's and 200 is a good number to see, just watch out for the speed cameras!

#17 ·
Just going back to my original sentiment about the Giulietta, its been collected tonight and I really hope Alfie doesn't end up in an auction? Look out for WP60RVE its had lots of money spent on it, 84,000 mile service last year, new alternator last year and new battery the year before. Everything works as it should and it's got less than 92k on the clock for a 10 year old car. If you get to see the hand book etc all the bills are there to prove new brake discs, oil changes tyres etc as and when they were needed. I will really miss the car but I couldn't afford to keep it as a toy.

#24 ·
From what I read most people have more chance of getting round the ring in a Stelvio QV than they do of getting round in a Giulia QV, so 20 seconds with no damage to the car or worse sounds pretty good? People report that the 4WD system in Stelvio helps to use more of the power more of the time unless you are a budding F1 driver? I'd love a Giulia QV but I am seeing 4WD Lamborghinis albeit older but for similar money. Look at Gallardo prices with 4WD and similar BHP!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.