Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well chaps its been 7 years of total fun. World record attempts, crazy convoys, utter reliability and a diy pleasure to maintain but last night at 6:30pm our 147 jtd sacrificed itself to save me and the missus. We were travelling down a road at night and some guy at the side of the road decided to do a U-turn. We had nowhere to go and had a heavy impact with both front airbags going off and we walked away with badly bruised chests!! I can't afford to get another Alfa in as good a condition, so I'm afraid for now I have to say goodbye! I will be back!!! Just don't know when?:cry:

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Surely the idiot that caused the crash will fund the replacement, or at least his insurance?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident ... the most important thing is you are both OK. As for that scrote who crashed into you .... I hope he gets points for driving without due care and attention :tut:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Bloody hell, good to hear your car saved you though, dont accept the other parties first offer, do your research and you culd see yourself in an alfa again sooner than you think.

Do a search on here, there s shelods of good info about dealing with accident management companies, insurance etc. and good luck :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words, Alfie was high mileage but mint in every other way and we are struggling to get another one as good?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to admit the extra long bonnet of a 147 might just be why we walked away, not even broke the windscreen on our car and a real testament to the cars survivability but I treated that car like a child, money no object and it's gone! Whilst we were sat at the roadside it was trying to start itself and get going again!!! Then the police called the fire brigade and they put him out of his misery!! Bullet to the battery!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi mate,

A friend of mine had some bint pull out on him in his MX5 (97, mk1) just under 3 years back. He went through helphire who got him a brand new golf gti as a hire car. Having a brand new car costing daily rate, he ended up turning the first insurance offer of 2.1k down, only to accept 2.8k. This was with 140k on the clock but very good nick. Worth holding out, especially if the other side are paying for your rental wheels!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car, but at least you and your partner are OK.
My sister had an accident, a couple of years ago when the snow hit the whole country. Whilst stationary at a junction (traffic lights bottom of hill) , a Passat turning in started to slide and hit her car. Her Peugeot 306 was written off. The other parts accepted liability. She was given a courtesy car - a BMW 330D (fully loaded) with leather etc! Nice, but not a good car in the snow... Very nice, but I did warn of the consequences - as we would probably end up paying for it.

Due to the large number of claims, it took a while to sort out (6 weeks), but the other insurance company would not raise their initial offer £1400, despite her car being worth approx £1700. We tried to argue for more, but gave in the end, as she needed a car for work and they were taking the courtesy car away. Dealing with the accident management company (we had no choice - it was setup by the insurance company (HSBC)). After being passed between three different companies we finally lost patience and my sister gave in.

Insurance companies are hard to deal with, but accident management companies are even worse!

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
The main thing is that you both escaped pretty much unhurt. Shame about the 147 but like everyone says, you should be able to get a good quality replacement from the insurance. Good luck.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really sorry to read this rhett71:( but the good thing is that you both managed to walk away from this.

This propably seems like a shameless plug but my own 147 will be coming up for sale round about spring time and I'm not far from Sleaford but its a 2003 1.6 TS so it probably wouldn't suit your needs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
First and foremost, you both walked away which is great :)

Secondly, I used to work for an accident management company so would recommendusing one if you have the choice! You will not have to pay anything for the hire car even if you don't win the claim as they decide to give you that car on thexassumption they can claim it back! If they don't then it's there loss not yours so no worries for you there :)

Next question is, has the idiot... I mean third party admitted liability or has their insurance company admitted it on their behalf ??

Finally and most importantly, do ur research now! I used to work on Total Loss vehicles as well as chasing liability with the third party insurers. The TP insurers will basically instruct an engineer to check ur vehicle and of course as it sounds the cost of repair will exceed what the vehicle is worth so will be a total loss (write off). They will get the value off Glasses guide but also check valuations off autotrader etc....

SO get urself on Autotrader and search for vehicles of a similar age / Mileage / spec etc within 100 miles and print them off and save them. If they then try to offer you a crap amount you or your accident man company can forward these to them and they will then usually increase their offer (not always but in most cases). Also get things like ur full service history ready, receipts for work etc as this cud all help u get an increase.

Gud luck and if you have any questions then give me a shout

Gary :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just another quick point after Reading the post by Shaz! Unfortunately insurance companies can argue the toss when an accident is caused by Snow / Ice as was the case a couple of years ago with the bad weather (hence shaz's friend got stuffed), even with a full liability admission from the Third Party, they can still argue and win :[email protected]

HOWEVER.... The Circs of ur accident seem like a straightforward Third Party Pulled from side road across oncomming traffic and are Grade A circs all the way!! Neither them or their insurers can argue That so get ur research done and hopefully you will be with Alfa again soon :-D

Gary

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Got to admit the extra long bonnet of a 147 might just be why we walked away, not even broke the windscreen on our car and a real testament to the cars survivability but I treated that car like a child, money no object and it's gone! Whilst we were sat at the roadside it was trying to start itself and get going again!!! Then the police called the fire brigade and they put him out of his misery!! Bullet to the battery!
fuel cut off switch will have put pay to that, although I bet it would probably still run if you reset that.

dont be too shy yet, you may find they repair it. 147s dont tend to do so badly on resale value for an alfa and most of the stuff up front is all cosmetic.

hold out hope.

main thing is of course that all involved are okay. don't forget the mandatory whiplash claim etc, its a sad state of affairs but everyone does it and every penny counts towards a new motor!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts