Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the first day in nine years where I don’t have in my pocket the GTA key, I said goodbye to my beloved GTA last Saturday in a celebratory road trip from Switzerland to UK together with Its new Owner which happens to be one of my best friends and a real Petrolhead with OCD when it comes to cars, so at least I know that the car will be in good hands and well looked after. It was a joy seeing him smile every time he pressed the gas pedal and the Busso sang its seductive notes. What a fantastic car this has been, a machine true to the Alfa spirit, felt special during evey mile I drove with it. Not many cars could replace it but the odds are on my side as I am currently waiting for the delivery of my new Giulia QV which has big shoes to fill. I have recommended to him to join Alfaowner so he might turn up at some point.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If there is any car to take the sting out of selling a GTA.....I am sure it'll be the Giulia QV!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Please post up your overall comparison of these two cars from different eras....it will be interesting to hear the impressions from someone who has switched straight from the 156 GTA to a Guilia QV....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Today is the first day in nine years where I don’t have in my pocket the GTA key, I said goodbye to my beloved GTA last Saturday in a celebratory road trip from Switzerland to UK together with Its new Owner which happens to be one of my best friends and a real Petrolhead with OCD when it comes to cars, so at least I know that the car will be in good hands and well looked after. It was a joy seeing him smile every time he pressed the gas pedal and the Busso sang its seductive notes. What a fantastic car this has been, a machine true to the Alfa spirit, felt special during evey mile I drove with it. Not many cars could replace it but the odds are on my side as I am currently waiting for the delivery of my new Giulia QV which has big shoes to fill. I have recommended to him to join Alfaowner so he might turn up at some point.
I am trying to hang onto having both a 156GTA SW and a Giulia Qf when I can eventually order one in the UK. My other half however does not see the need to have both , after all she reasons when will you have time to drive the GTA....on one level she has a point, on an other level I am still bruised by selling an Integrale to buy a GTA...so do not want to make the same mistake twice (well actually three times). I hope to be able to compare both items.....one day.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to hang onto having both a 156GTA SW and a Giulia Qf when I can eventually order one in the UK. My other half however does not see the need to have both , after all she reasons when will you have time to drive the GTA....on one level she has a point, on an other level I am still bruised by selling an Integrale to buy a GTA...so do not want to make the same mistake twice (well actually three times). I hope to be able to compare both items.....one day.
I completely understand where you coming from, I too wanted to keep the GTA but the problem is that here in Switzerland you have to pay a lot for parking, a decent underground garage is more than 100pounds a month and also tax insurance etc would mean that I would need to pay lot of money per year and keep maintaining the GTA in the same standards as now. I thought hard about it and decided to sell it to my mate as he can really appreciate it and also knows first hand the ridiculous extent of care that this car had. I will be happy knowing that it gives him a grin when he drives it and I was even more happy when his 2 year old daughter complained getting in any of his other two cars and wanted to go in the GTA instead….

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please post up your overall comparison of these two cars from different eras....it will be interesting to hear the impressions from someone who has switched straight from the 156 GTA to a Guilia QV....
I will happily do that after i have had the chance to get used to the QV.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'm waiting to try the QV when it comes to the UK - not sure what I'm going to do....do sell the GTA and go for a QV, keep the GTA and get something like Abarth 595 / Fiat 124....or do nothing!!!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm waiting to try the QV when it comes to the UK - not sure what I'm going to do....do sell the GTA and go for a QV, keep the GTA and get something like Abarth 595 / Fiat 124....or do nothing!!!
If you don't go for a QV - get the Abarth 500/595 Competzione and use the GTA for long journeys. Once you have one then if you do get a QV you have all bases covered.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Feeling your pain, well said.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Feeling your pain, well said.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If you don't go for a QV - get the Abarth 500/595 Competzione and use the GTA for long journeys. Once you have one then if you do get a QV you have all bases covered.
I love the 595 unfortunatly my sister had one until last week - broke into her house whilst they slept and stole the keys to take the car.

Problem is that we have a family car for those long journeys - I just don't use my GTA at all, and truth to be told on a long motorway run - the family prefer the comfy family car.

It's because I've spent time in a 595 that I love them so much !

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I love the 595 unfortunatly my sister had one until last week - broke into her house whilst they slept and stole the keys to take the car.

Problem is that we have a family car for those long journeys - I just don't use my GTA at all, and truth to be told on a long motorway run - the family prefer the comfy family car.

It's because I've spent time in a 595 that I love them so much !
I actually drove the 500 to Basle and back in 48 hours because the GTA was sick...so I don't even take my own advice. Still waiting for Alfa to officially open the QV order book, so bit the bullet and sent the GTA for a rebuild and respray so not planning to part with it anytime soon (I too have a large family car but only use it when there are too many passengers for the Alfa...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
When I do drive the GTA I just love it, feels special something that just inspires confidence to push ahead - however it hates speed humps and there are plenty round where we live. The family car is perfect for all the speed humps but often too big to zip along in and get into gaps - but does waft you about in sporting luxury that for general every day hits the nail on the head.

A 595 - I do actually worry i might loose my licence - I used my sisters car while she was on holiday a few weeks ago just before being stolen, and it was perfect for zipping along and getting in the gaps, puts a great smile on my face - I really loved it.

Something is going to change in the cars we have just not too sure what and I don't think I'll have a full answer until I test the QV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts