Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i decided to go to work today with ,my sprint, and i stopped at a gas station for petrol and few minutes later the engine begun to cut out revs etc, etc. So i was forced to get back home. See the pic below to see the good quality petrol some guys sell. Does anyone know what this stuff is???? :confused: It's the first time i see something like that. Even the accelerator pumps diafragms were torn apart. I guess i'll have to take down the fuel tank for the 2nd time in a 2 month period. :mad::cry: Although i cleaned them thoroughly after the engine worked for about an hour or so problems started again. :cry::rant:.

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
send the garage who supplied the petrol a bill. we had a problem over here a year or so back with a supermarket branded petrol that caused a load of lambda problems, they paid out

·
Registered
422 Posts
That looks like rust from an internally rusty fuel tank to me, if so, Flush the tank, then seal it inside with a tank sealant, Frost sell some suitable stuff. You'll have a recurring problem if your tank is corroded inside.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
He said he cleaned it. I am guessing it must be and additive from gas station to remove water by converting it to gel and then blocked by filter. Maybe filter had a leak that passed from the pump to the car with the results above...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like rust from an internally rusty fuel tank to me, if so, Flush the tank, then seal it inside with a tank sealant, Frost sell some suitable stuff. You'll have a recurring problem if your tank is corroded inside.

The fuel tank was changed with a brand new one 4 years ago and i had it cleaned less than two months ago. That thing you see pouring out of the carb is a green jelly. I dont know of any green rust to exist apart from copper corrosion and that isn't a jelly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
send the garage who supplied the petrol a bill. we had a problem over here a year or so back with a supermarket branded petrol that caused a load of lambda problems, they paid out
Thanks Kev, I intend on doing that, it's the 2nd time that happens in a short period of time and i do not intend on letting him go. I repaired it my self but i'll give him the bill for the spare parts i used.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well woke up early this morning to go about 30 kms from my home, at my brother in law, who has the equipment i needed to fix the car. The way there was a nightmare, since the car couldn't rev and during shift changes it died out, apart from exploding from the exhaust. As soon as i was there i dismantled the carbs again and the pump. Carbs were full of that thing again and so was the pump. The pump went for scraps, the diafragms were cut and i replaced it. I had the carbs cleaned again and the fuel tank. She is working perfectly now but i dont see the reason why someone should go all this trouble and expences. Especially since she is going to travel 500 kms the next weekend to my brother's place and start a 2nd restoration there, (the first one was about 12 years ago, but the car was used as an everyday car untill 3 years ago, and that took it's toll).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts