Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Good piston rings for cf3 AR32310

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Fruity 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

My 2.0 euro 3 TS burns an unacceptable amount of oil, so i am planning on changeing out the piston rings. I read on another thread, that some prefer 3 piece oil rings. I would be very interested in hearing from someone who have already done this, what rings did you use, where did you buy them?

Other thread: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/eng...-v6/354666-2-litre-ts-cf3-motor-overhaul.html

Thank you!

#2 ·
My 2.0 euro 3 TS burns an unacceptable amount of oil, so i am planning on changeing out the piston rings. I read on another thread, that some prefer 3 piece oil rings. I would be very interested in hearing from someone who have already done this, what rings did you use, where did you buy them?
Changing just the rings is probably only a short term fix, if at all .. you need to hone the bores to give them something to bed into ..

On my old TS we found a scratch, which was deep enough to feel with a finger nail, and after honing and new rings, consumption was down to almost nil.

#4 · (Edited)
We all know the JTS burns oil but the TS can use a bit too. Test it by going downhill in a low gear for a while before cracking the throttle open should be done.
A puff of blue smoke upon opening the throttle = valve stem seals.
Grey smoke afterwards at higher engine speed = oil passing the rings.

The multi piece oil control ring which Goetze make is preferable to the single piece ring which is originally used. Goetze are part of Federal Mogul group. The parts should be available at any motor factors or through an engineer who specializes in engine repairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.